Ulster Final show of solidarity with Gaza

Started by babarino, July 18, 2014, 10:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser soze

Quote from: haveaharp on July 22, 2014, 09:24:34 AM
Quote from: hairyUlsterman on July 20, 2014, 04:49:38 PM
'Ulster Gaels'

I've never understood 'Gael' being used to describe GAA people, the Gaels were people who lived in Gaelic Ireland centuries ago, it's a bit like calling  Cork City FC Vikings.

So when did they move out ?

There might be a clue in the name Gaelic Athletic Association!

hairyUlsterman

Quote from: Keyser soze on July 22, 2014, 10:16:46 AM
'Ulster Gaels'

I've never understood 'Gael' being used to describe GAA people, the Gaels were people who lived in Gaelic Ireland centuries ago, it's a bit like calling  Cork City FC Vikings.

There might be a clue in the name Gaelic Athletic Association!

Yes an association that didn't exist in Medieval Ireland, that would mean someone from Germany who plays Hurling is a Gael yet someone called Conor O'Doherty from Donegal who has no interest in GAA isn't, there is more to Gaelic culture than sport.

That banner saying 'Ulster Gaels' is a fine example, I would say over 90% of people from Ulster have descent from Gaelic clans regardless what religion they are or what sport they follow.

I'm a GAA fan but I believe this thing of GAA people thinking they are more Gaelic needs to be stopped.

hairyUlsterman

'Ulster Gaels'

They never but put it like this, Ireland in the 1400's wasn't full of GAA pitches, it was a different society and they were a very different type of people than the modern Irishman, this is why I describe myself as being 'descended from gaels' and not 'a gael'