Come On Mayo - We're Right Behind You

Started by ONeill, July 15, 2014, 12:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Back home here in Mayo, there is a very low key atmosphere. Less than a week away from our AI semi final clash with Kerry.  Many feel we have a chance of beating Kerry for the first time in 18 years. Actually many fans are enjoying this year. There is no pressure. And I mean no pressure. As far as all are concerned Dublin have the title won. So this is like end of season game to see who will finish second and get a bit of bragging rights. And lets face it we're not too worried about even finishing second we have loads of those titles.

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 18, 2014, 07:42:04 PM
Back home here in Mayo, there is a very low key atmosphere. Less than a week away from our AI semi final clash with Kerry.  Many feel we have a chance of beating Kerry for the first time in 18 years. Actually many fans are enjoying this year. There is no pressure. And I mean no pressure. As far as all are concerned Dublin have the title won. So this is like end of season game to see who will finish second and get a bit of bragging rights. And lets face it we're not too worried about even finishing second we have loads of those titles.

Yerrah, by what standards? Mayo is a county hopped up on football (as is Roscommon, don't take it as an insult), I don't think there is such a thing as a low-key AISF. Flags are flying on every other house once you hit the Ballyhaunis road. It's going to be the only meaningful topic of conversation in Mayo (and a confused Roscommon town) all week.

Looks the same as always to me and I'd expect the regular huge bandwagon contingent in Croke Park on Sunday.

Shamrock Shore

larryin89

Nah, it is low key and there is a weird atmsphere in terms off attitude towards the game, i cant put it in words , its just strange, its like people are asking themselves are we hanging by a thread here or are we really in this situation where we havent peaked yet, that a lot of people keep throwing out there.. Words like ' controlled performance'' .

Im personally genuinely excited about the game but a tad nervous too. There is a bit of an unknown factor about Mayo 2014 , whether its good or bad remains to be seen.

Up Mayo and to hell with 36 all Ireland counties.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Syferus

Quote from: larryin89 on August 18, 2014, 08:23:47 PM
Nah, it is low key and there is a weird atmsphere in terms off attitude towards the game, i cant put it in words , its just strange, its like people are asking themselves are we hanging by a thread here or are we really in this situation where we havent peaked yet, that a lot of people keep throwing out there.. Words like ' controlled performance'' .

Im personally genuinely excited about the game but a tad nervous too. There is a bit of an unknown factor about Mayo 2014 , whether its good or bad remains to be seen.

Up Mayo and to hell with 36 all Ireland counties.

Thought you said you were living in Dublin?

FL/MAYO

Just got back after a month in Mayo. Definitely very low key compared to last year, its as if people are dreading the thought of the possibility of another final. Shell shocked after the last two years it seems :-[

Syferus

Quote from: FL/MAYO on August 18, 2014, 09:19:25 PM
Just got back after a month in Mayo. Definitely very low key compared to last year, its as if people are dreading the thought of the possibility of another final. Shell shocked after the last two years it seems :-[

Ye lads have a very warped sense about what low key means.

FL/MAYO

Quote from: Syferus on August 18, 2014, 09:22:25 PM

In those Mayo towns inside the Ross border its probably a different story of course :)

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

muppet

Quote from: FL/MAYO on August 18, 2014, 09:37:54 PM

In those Mayo towns inside the Ross border its probably a different story of course :)

I've seen Rossies shout abuse at road signs to Mayo, in Roscommon.
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

Yeah, the now customary putting out of last years (or possibly the year before ( or the years before))  Mayo Flags has been done. Us Mayo folk have a big collection of flags at this stage. Most flags are in good nick as they come out in late July and are back inside from the elements by late September. Of course there are a few lazy people who never take down their flag. They are like the ones who leave out their Christmas lights for the 12 months. When I go on journeys at this time of the year i look at the different Mayo flags. Each Flag have their own fashion sense. '96 '97 ones have a certain look. Well faded at this stage and crazy fonts. 04 and 06 had huge amounts of Red. And the modern ones of 11-13 circa have a darker green.

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on August 18, 2014, 09:59:01 PM

That counts as football related activity in Ros in August. It feeds the complex.
But now they have a bus .

Syferus

Quote from: seafoid on August 18, 2014, 10:31:16 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 18, 2014, 09:59:01 PM

That counts as football related activity in Ros in August. It feeds the complex.
But now they have a bus .

Says a Galway man :-[

blanketattack

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 18, 2014, 07:42:04 PM
Back home here in Mayo, there is a very low key atmosphere. Less than a week away from our AI semi final clash with Kerry.  Many feel we have a chance of beating Kerry for the first time in 18 years. Actually many fans are enjoying this year. There is no pressure. And I mean no pressure. As far as all are concerned Dublin have the title won.

No pressure but if Mayo don't win this year Horan and his backroom staff will be gone and send Mayo back to the dark ages