Galway v Tipp AI Football Qualifier 26/07/2014 Tullamore

Started by galwayman, July 14, 2014, 04:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 28, 2014, 01:59:44 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 28, 2014, 01:43:40 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 27, 2014, 11:15:42 PM
Last year Galway bet Armagh and ran Cork close I don't think its known yet with wins over Tipperary,Sligo if Galway have progessed much more this year.

Its a different side to last year though, its a younger team. Only 7 of the team who started against Cork in the qualifies last year started against Tipp last Saturday. Those younger players are more important to the day this year than they were last year. That's progress to me.

O'Neill, Moore, P Varley, FOC, Flynn, Walsh, Cummins, Lundy, Comer, Burke & A Varley should in theory be better players next year.

There's still a few of the recent U-21's to come through yet. Lads that maybe physically or mentally weren't ready this year. Thinking about the likes of Ian Burke, Cathal Mulryan, James Shaughnessy, Sean Moran,  Michael Boyle, etc. Will probably see more of some of those next year.

Meant to include Mulryan as he is on the panel already.
Boyle must be a couple of years older than the rest of them? Why isn't he on the panel currently?
As usual looks like there's a lot of excellent attacking players coming through and were a bit short on quality defenders.

galwayman

Boyle was on the u21 team that won the AI in 2011 so would be 23/24 now.
Agreed we don't seem to be producing a whole lot of quality defenders at the moment

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 28, 2014, 02:25:23 PM
Last year Galway bet Armagh and ran Cork close I don't think its known yet with wins over Tipperary,Sligo if Galway have progessed much more this year.

Its a different side to last year though, its a younger team. Only 7 of the team who started against Cork in the qualifies last year started against Tipp last Saturday. Those younger players are more important to the day this year than they were last year. That's progress to me.

O'Neill, Moore, P Varley, FOC, Flynn, Walsh, Cummins, Lundy, Comer, Burke & A Varley should in theory be better players next year.

There's still a few of the recent U-21's to come through yet. Lads that maybe physically or mentally weren't ready this year. Thinking about the likes of Ian Burke, Cathal Mulryan, James Shaughnessy, Sean Moran,  Michael Boyle, etc. Will probably see more of some of those next year.

Boyle must be a couple of years older than the rest of them? Why isn't he on the panel currently?
As usual looks like there's a lot of excellent attacking players coming through and were a bit short on quality defenders.

Boyle was on the 2011 U-21 team. Had power, size and pace but heard he left the panel due to disciplinary issues last year. Maybe had some maturing to do but heard he's been playing well for Killererin. Think it was always going to take someone like Ian Burke longer to be ready for senior intercounty football due to his size.

Not too many defenders alright though apart from Shaughnessy.

Some right good players on the last two minor teams as well even though they lost their first game both years rather unluckily. They could well be more successful at U-21 than they were at minor. Just like the last few U-21 teams were.

mouview

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 28, 2014, 02:25:23 PM

Boyle not good enough, had a few chances already last year in the league but didn't stand out. Moran didn't as yet feature for the Seniors I think, but I don't rate him too highly TBH, big strong lad but not a lot of football in him. Shaughnessy on the panel already as is Mulryan, who was at least a very good U-21 player. Ian Burke was away for the summer; should be a good one if he pushes on, though a tad light yet. Gary Kelly of Wiliamstown had a great reputation at Minor level, but doesn't as yet seem to going up to the next level; could probably do with playing for a stronger / more prominent club.

slatterl

Tipp gave away a lot of soft scores at the back to Galway. They have very impressive forwards and look like a team that will go places in the future especially with all the work put in at under age. Tipp is a big county and it has been commented on that South Tipp is where Gaelic football is at its strongest. South Tipp is bigger than some counties out there and there is no reason why Tipp don't have enough resources coming from this area plus Mid and West Tipp to have good county Football teams. Tipp are well capable of having good division one/two footballing sides. I can never get my head around why Tipp football has been awful over the years when they have such massive potential

rosnarun

maybe coz half of them will be trying to get on the stickball team all winter and spring
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere