Clare v Kildare AIFQ R3

Started by Dinny Breen, July 14, 2014, 08:40:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: Zulu on July 19, 2014, 08:55:29 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 19, 2014, 08:43:25 PM
Clare got the early hop and did better than I thought and got a good lead heading into the last 27 minutes. Didn't score a thing after that.

Like I said, Clare couldn't live with Kildare for the full 70. Plenty to work on for next year, though.

You can PM me a thanks for all that money I saved you on Clare, Zulu.

No money Syfrus I thought Kildare would win too but I think you should respect Munster football a little more.

QuoteI'd nearly lay odds he's from Cork and played senior inter county football not so long ago.

Thanks Indiana, I played IC at one point but not with Cork. I've lived in a few Munster counties so I like to see them all do well however I defended Clare because I thought Syferus was bringing unfairly dismissive.

I agree with you on Clare. There is a big football tradition in West Clare and a lot of their clubs are now dual clubs in other parts of the county. Plenty of potential for them to get better and stronger.

What it shows is that the gap between Divisions 2-4 isn't as chasmic as people think. You get you best footballers out with the proper S&C, get a manager with a braincell and you can dare to dream.

I figured you'd played at a high level you can always tell who has.

Syferus

Quote from: Zulu on July 19, 2014, 08:55:29 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 19, 2014, 08:43:25 PM
Clare got the early hop and did better than I thought and got a good lead heading into the last 27 minutes. Didn't score a thing after that.

Like I said, Clare couldn't live with Kildare for the full 70. Plenty to work on for next year, though.

You can PM me a thanks for all that money I saved you on Clare, Zulu.

No money Syfrus I thought Kildare would win too but I think you should respect Munster football a little more.

QuoteI'd nearly lay odds he's from Cork and played senior inter county football not so long ago.

Thanks Indiana, I played IC at one point but not with Cork. I've lived in a few Munster counties so I like to see them all do well however I defended Clare because I thought Syferus was bringing unfairly dismissive.

I respect what has started to happen in Clare football. They were always unlikely to beat even an average D1 team coming out of D4 this year. The gap was too big.

Until Clare show more at underage they will continue to be fighting an uphill battle to be relevant in Munster.

Zulu

One point isn't a big gap. Syferus, can you not accept you called it wrong? Clare, as Indiana pointed out have a serious football pedigree in the west of the county so it isn't surprising that they do ok when when they are well organised.

QuoteYou get you best footballers out with the proper S&C, get a manager with a braincell and you can dare to dream.

I'd agree to some extent but that is true of all sports, you need the talent to be truly exceptional in football. Dublin are where they are because they've once in a generation footballers like Brogan, Connolly and Flynn. Dublin will have good S & C programs and poor enough teams in the future.

INDIANA

Quote from: Zulu on July 19, 2014, 09:15:05 PM
One point isn't a big gap. Syferus, can you not accept you called it wrong? Clare, as Indiana pointed out have a serious football pedigree in the west of the county so it isn't surprising that they do ok when when they are well organised.

QuoteYou get you best footballers out with the proper S&C, get a manager with a braincell and you can dare to dream.

I'd agree to some extent but that is true of all sports, you need the talent to be truly exceptional in football. Dublin are where they are because they've once in a generation footballers like Brogan, Connolly and Flynn. Dublin will have good S & C programs and poor enough teams in the future.

We won't have poor teams Zulu. Just wait till you see what's coming down the tracks. Currently our u14-u18's are excellent with several outstanding footballers

Syferus

Quote from: Zulu on July 19, 2014, 09:15:05 PM

When did I predict a scoreline? I even said Clare could give Kildare a run for a half or 55 minutes but that they wouldn't be able to finish the job. Not scoring for the final 27 minutes is as graphic a fade-away as you're likely to find in championship football this year.

Zulu

Ok Syferus, say what you like.

Indiana, you may have players coming down the line but this years minor team, for example, don't have Kilkenny, Costello, McHugh, Lowndes, Ó Conghaile, Mannion etc. No matter what you do or who you are, you will get exceptional teams and ones that are less so.

I personally love what Dublin GAA are doing and I'm encouraged by what Roscommon and Kildare, for example, are doing too but no matter what you do you can't be guaranteed you'll get superstars every year.

Long may Dublin's success continue as it will inspire the rest of us IMO.

INDIANA

Quote from: Zulu on July 19, 2014, 09:53:24 PM
Ok Syferus, say what you like.

Indiana, you may have players coming down the line but this years minor team, for example, don't have Kilkenny, Costello, McHugh, Lowndes, Ó Conghaile, Mannion etc. No matter what you do or who you are, you will get exceptional teams and ones that are less so.

I personally love what Dublin GAA are doing and I'm encouraged by what Roscommon and Kildare, for example, are doing too but no matter what you do you can't be guaranteed you'll get superstars every year.

Long may Dublin's success continue as it will inspire the rest of us IMO.

I think you should watch the minors more closely Zulu there are 3-4 players playing tomorrow better then all of Lowndes, O Conghaile and Mannion and possibly better then Mc Hugh as well.

Not going to hijack the thread anymore- I don't what the result means for Kildare. But they need a minor win tomorrow IMO to give them a lift. They may get it as well as its a fine Kildare side.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Syferus on July 19, 2014, 09:39:49 PM
I even said Clare could give Kildare a run for a half or 55 minutes

Did you?

You were quite belittling of them and tipp.

I don't know enough about Clare but fair play to them and Tipp are coming on very well and turning into a very good team.

I would put tipp as favourites against Galway in a very tight call of a game.

Zulu

I've only seen highlights but bar Con O'Callaghan I didn't think there was anybody from this year's minors who would challenge for a senior spot in the near future.

INDIANA

Quote from: Zulu on July 19, 2014, 10:09:05 PM
I've only seen highlights but bar Con O'Callaghan I didn't think there was anybody from this year's minors who would challenge for a senior spot in the near future.

Eoghan Mc Hugh won't be far off in a place where we've no options.

Conor Kavanagh first year minor on the bench for some inexplicable reason will play senior before he's 20.

Aaron Byrne only a first year minor and this is his third year as a minor.

I'll eat my hat publicly if they don't play senior.

Zulu

Heard about Byrne alright but I'd be surprised if you've another Costello and Kilkenny within the ranks over the next 10 years. I thought  Ó Conghaile was the best minor midfielder I saw in a long time but he hash't made it yet. 

INDIANA

Quote from: Zulu on July 19, 2014, 10:22:00 PM
Heard about Byrne alright but I'd be surprised if you've another Costello and Kilkenny within the ranks over the next 10 years. I thought  Ó Conghaile was the best minor midfielder I saw in a long time but he hash't made it yet.

I'm not sure O Conghaile will either. 50/50.

Shane Carthy would be further along then him when he gets back playing.

We need midfielders - its the one area of the pitch we're on life support

imtommygunn

Cluxton's kick outs have almost redefined the role of a midfielder for you though.

INDIANA

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 19, 2014, 10:41:25 PM
Cluxton's kick outs have almost redefined the role of a midfielder for you though.

Laois decoded them very well this year and other teams will as well starting tomorrow- no longer the weapon it was as the analysis has been done.

imtommygunn

Yeah to be fair Laois played them well and it will be interesting to see come latter stages if other teams take their lead.

Clan o'sullivan wouldn't be your typical midfielder either.

Are fennel and bastick both in squad?