Long Kesh Park takes another step forward

Started by Donagh, April 16, 2007, 12:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MW

Quote from: stew on April 19, 2008, 11:49:26 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on April 19, 2008, 11:34:55 PM
Jezuz, OWC boys, can none of you not admit that you have a problem with some idiots, who would be loyalist and/or racist/sectarian?
Not all but some?

They live in la la land where everything is wonderful, ach shure arent they the self professed 'best fans in the world'!  :-[

The OWC contingent havent got it in them to admit they have issues, shure wasnt the Lennon incident just one idiot with a 20p piece.

Sammyg etc will do whatever it takes and say whatever it takes to deflect damaging PR away from the norths team, just look at the effort they put into following Fearon waround the newspapers/radio/tv etc. They are obsessed with ridding themselves of bad PR and shure I had them searching the Jim Rome show that airs in the states because I told them i went on the air and slammed them after they went after holly aged 8 from Kent.

'They'?

::)

Chrisowc

Quote from: his holiness nb on April 20, 2008, 11:53:21 AM
Quote from: Chrisowc on April 18, 2008, 07:33:08 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on April 18, 2008, 05:38:28 PM
The personal stuff on this thread is unbelievably childish.
"play the ball, not the man" obviously only counts when certain men are being played.

The hypocracy is unreal.

Indeed, His Holiness. None more spectacular than this tirade....

a foreign team such as Northern Ireland which happily attracts all manner of neo-Nazi and loyalist scumbags to its games. I made a point about that bunch of ill-informed morons on OWC

but I somehow doubt that was what you were getting at ;)

Whatever about agreeing with the arguments, I was having a go at the personal abuse coming from both sides.
Re the hypocracy, well yes, that was referring to a particular poster who harps on about playing the ball not the man, but is happy to dish it out as well.

But while I was commenting on personal abuse from both "sides" its interesting that you higlighted an example of this from one particular side.  :)

It's can't be that surprising that I highlighted a comment that I took as personally directed at me.

If you were commenting on personal abuse from 'both sides' then, fair do's.

I reckon you're getting soft.  The pittar patter of tiny feet must be iminent or something ;)
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Evil Genius

Meanwhile, back at the debate....

To recap, Donagh starts a thread on Long Kesh Park [sic]. After sixty five pages, he is trawling through OWC, as he is wont to do, and he spots a Report by the Amalgamation of NI Supporters Clubs which analyses in detail the original PWC Report recommending the Maze Stadium.

Having spotted a contentious reference to the GAA and Croke Park, he couldn't wait to post this on here, as evidence of how weak the Amalgamation's Analysis was (as well as demonstrate how clever he is).

In fact, Donagh's intervention prompted me to reproduce the complete Amalgamation Report, since I thought it a useful and relevant contribution to this thread. As for the GAA/CP reference, it is obvious that it was only a minor matter, which in no way undermined the main substance of the Amalgamation's Report, which successfully demolished PWC's efforts as baseless and misleading on several critical aspects.

At which point, Donagh was invited to share with us his grounds for concluding the Amalgamation Report is "irrelevant", "rubbish" and "full of lies" etc. Which was where his discomfort was revealed. First of all, he asserted that he hadn't read it, merely glanced at it. When challenged as to how he could therefore conclude that it was all "rubbish" etc, he claims that a quick look* is all it takes for him.

When it was conceded that the offending CP/GAA reference was misleading (though ultimately unimportant), he was asked to tell us what was wrong with the rest of it. At which point, he was forced to stick to his line that he hadn't read it, nor wouldn't. Personally, I don't believe him, simple as that. I have no doubt that he has read the Amalgamation Report, but cannot find anything wrong with it, otherwise he would have rushed to tell us.

Thereafter, he has resorted to a combination of abuse (often of a personal nature), distortion, distraction and (I suspect) outright lies about OWC, the NI support, individuals, etc (see Posts # 948, #958, #972, #976) - anything to divert attention from the fact that he has scored a gigantic own goal on this whole topic and it is bugging the f**k out of him!  :D

So at this point, I would like to offer a sincere "Thank You" to Donagh, for his assistance in helping NI football fans publicise our campaign to reject the Maze Stadium! And I would further like to assure him that his efforts to rile us with his insults and vituperation have failed miserably, not least because it is impossible to get angered by someone who is making you nearly piss yourself with laughter.

* - One welcome byproduct of Donagh's ludicrous claim about only needing to glance at a long and detailed Report in order to be able to digest it, was that it reminded me of one my all-time favourite Woody Alllen lines. In trying to impress some woman, Allen casually mentioned that he had done a speed-reading course. "Last week I read 'War and Peace' in an hour and a half. [Pause] It's about Russia..."   :D

Donagh - nearly as funny as Woody Allen, without even trying!  ;)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Yes I Would

Yes the fact he played for Celtic, a catholic club, with a deep Irish history!!  Surely this could be categorised as sectarian/rasicist.
Wasnt being hounded for the style of football that Celtic were playing at the time.
It was religious/cultural. abuse!!

Solomon, I have never been to a N.I game at Windosr so do take your points in good faith. I appreciate that alot of effort has been made since this incident amongst the many decent NI fans that there are out there. The death threat was the work of possibly a few mindless bigots with absoloutley no interest or knowledge in football, but shows ahow a situation within a football ground can progress to something much sinister and dangerous!!

If the Burnley lad, Lafferty had have signed for Celtic would have been a good acid test as to how mindisghts have been changed!!

Main Street

There have been quite a few ignorant contributions from the OWC on this thread, a nauseating dribble with absolute refusal to shift out of the OWC prejudiced box.

20 pages on the GAA shrine to terrorism.
'strange that they (Sinn Fein) were able to coax/co-erce the GAA into backing them in backing a memorial to their hunger strikers'
"I deliberately used the phrase coaxed/co-erced. I don't know which it was but it was certainly one or the other. There is no business or sporting reason for the GAA to support the Maze, so it must be for political reasons".
"I'll withdraw it (that remark) when somebody produces some evidence to contradict it"

Is Sammy's prowess as an intellectual giant held in high regard in the OWC ? ;D

Then the 20 pages on the (invisible) GAA veto
the proof of that was supposed to be in the DCAL minutes. Finally after another 10 pages we are given the DCAL link,
only to discover that the Minster states that it was the IFA who exercised a veto over Belfast location.

That OWC report doesn't look into the value of the infrastructure to the future of that area.
In the light of other infrastructure plans going ahead in NI costing 100's of millions without any public debate, indeed could we not find flaws in any plan?
The report doesn't recognize that the GAA members are represented by the GAA council but offers the pretense that fans are not consulted.
In the GAA, most are club members, clubs are represented by delegates chosen on a county level to represented the members at Congress.
The GAA members are represented by the Ulster GAA council who have sat down with the other Sports and come to a consensus about the plans.
I don't know how the IFA is constituted.
The IFA have offered as evidence to Poots that 13 of 15 senior clubs are supportive.
In general it is regarded that members run clubs, of course they need fans but its the members who take the decisions and who take responsibility for them..

The report doesn't recognise that the finance, ringfenced for a muti stadium project, is coming from the wider British exchequer. Added on top of the Subvention.
That as long as the diff aspects of the plan (like economics) are acceptable to the British Gov, they will approve.
The Stadium plan must satisfy the 3 sports, then it must satisfy the Assembly, then the Brit Gov. approves.
If the 3 sports are at loggerheads the Brit Gov will not approve.
If the Assembly is split then the Brit Gov will not approve.  
The days of Stormont Unionist veto are long gone. Unionists are not trusted, even though they are in a majority, to rule with the the interests of NI as a whole.
The Assembly constitution has it in writing. The NI Assembly will not in the next decade or so agree to any other location.

In the event of the Turkeys voting for Christmas, the British Gov will not release funds.
That leaves the IFA who did not have to spend a penny for the Maze looking for finance to build a stadium.
One source is  DCAL whose budget cannot cater for anything substantial.
How many of the soccer club across NI will be happy with their Association, when the representative teams are already a drain on resources.

A multi stadium involves compromise and involves working for the common good.
Since this debate started the OWC have been bitterly sniping at the intentions and position of the GAA in this matter.

Donagh

Quote from: Evil Genius on April 20, 2008, 06:44:13 PM
Meanwhile, back at the debate....

To recap, Donagh starts a thread on Long Kesh Park [sic]. After sixty five pages, he is trawling through OWC, as he is wont to do, and he spots a Report by the Amalgamation of NI Supporters Clubs which analyses in detail the original PWC Report recommending the Maze Stadium.

Having spotted a contentious reference to the GAA and Croke Park, he couldn't wait to post this on here, as evidence of how weak the Amalgamation's Analysis was (as well as demonstrate how clever he is).

In fact, Donagh's intervention prompted me to reproduce the complete Amalgamation Report, since I thought it a useful and relevant contribution to this thread. As for the GAA/CP reference, it is obvious that it was only a minor matter, which in no way undermined the main substance of the Amalgamation's Report, which successfully demolished PWC's efforts as baseless and misleading on several critical aspects.

At which point, Donagh was invited to share with us his grounds for concluding the Amalgamation Report is "irrelevant", "rubbish" and "full of lies" etc. Which was where his discomfort was revealed. First of all, he asserted that he hadn't read it, merely glanced at it. When challenged as to how he could therefore conclude that it was all "rubbish" etc, he claims that a quick look* is all it takes for him.

When it was conceded that the offending CP/GAA reference was misleading (though ultimately unimportant), he was asked to tell us what was wrong with the rest of it. At which point, he was forced to stick to his line that he hadn't read it, nor wouldn't. Personally, I don't believe him, simple as that. I have no doubt that he has read the Amalgamation Report, but cannot find anything wrong with it, otherwise he would have rushed to tell us.

Thereafter, he has resorted to a combination of abuse (often of a personal nature), distortion, distraction and (I suspect) outright lies about OWC, the NI support, individuals, etc (see Posts # 948, #958, #972, #976) - anything to divert attention from the fact that he has scored a gigantic own goal on this whole topic and it is bugging the f**k out of him!  :D

So at this point, I would like to offer a sincere "Thank You" to Donagh, for his assistance in helping NI football fans publicise our campaign to reject the Maze Stadium! And I would further like to assure him that his efforts to rile us with his insults and vituperation have failed miserably, not least because it is impossible to get angered by someone who is making you nearly piss yourself with laughter.

* - One welcome byproduct of Donagh's ludicrous claim about only needing to glance at a long and detailed Report in order to be able to digest it, was that it reminded me of one my all-time favourite Woody Alllen lines. In trying to impress some woman, Allen casually mentioned that he had done a speed-reading course. "Last week I read 'War and Peace' in an hour and a half. [Pause] It's about Russia..."   :D

Donagh - nearly as funny as Woody Allen, without even trying!  ;)

Half a page devoted to attacking me?  :D

That is the saddest thing I've witnessed in a long time. Do you honestly think anyone could care less about the opinions of some windbag with no interest in the GAA who spends half his sad life posting ill-informed rubbish on a GAA forum? Unlike you little man, I'm proud to have a life outside a makey-up cyber world which for the rest of us is a small distraction during work break, but obviously seems to form the bedrock of your social interaction. Keep it up though, my estimation of the average OWC supporter falls with every post you make.

town lad

I can not wait to hear a new agreed Anthem at all GAA. Rugby and N.Ireland games.

SammyG

Quote from: Main Street on April 20, 2008, 10:22:36 PM
There have been quite a few ignorant contributions from the OWC on this thread, a nauseating dribble with absolute refusal to shift out of the OWC prejudiced box.

'strange that they (Sinn Fein) were able to coax/co-erce the GAA into backing them in backing a memorial to their hunger strikers'
"I deliberately used the phrase coaxed/co-erced. I don't know which it was but it was certainly one or the other. There is no business or sporting reason for the GAA to support the Maze, so it must be for political reasons".
"I'll withdraw it (that remark) when somebody produces some evidence to contradict it"

the proof of that was supposed to be in the DCAL minutes. Finally after another 10 pages we are given the DCAL link,
only to discover that the Minster states that it was the IFA who exercised a veto over Belfast location.

That OWC report doesn't look into the value of the infrastructure to the future of that area.
In the light of other infrastructure plans going ahead in NI costing 100's of millions without any public debate, indeed could we not find flaws in any plan?
The report doesn't recognize that the GAA members are represented by the GAA council but offers the pretense that fans are not consulted.
In the GAA, most are club members, clubs are represented by delegates chosen on a county level to represented the members at Congress.
The GAA members are represented by the Ulster GAA council who have sat down with the other Sports and come to a consensus about the plans.
The IFA have offered as evidence to Poots that 13 of 15 senior clubs are supportive.
In general it is regarded that members run clubs, of course they need fans but its the members who take the decisions and who take responsibility for them..

The report doesn't recognise that the finance, ringfenced for a muti stadium project, is coming from the wider British exchequer. Added on top of the Subvention.
That as long as the diff aspects of the plan (like economics) are acceptable to the British Gov, they will approve.
The Stadium plan must satisfy the 3 sports, then it must satisfy the Assembly, then the Brit Gov. approves.
The days of Stormont Unionist veto are long gone. Unionists are not trusted, even though they are in a majority, to rule with the the interests of NI as a whole.
The Assembly constitution has it in writing. The NI Assembly will not in the next decade or so agree to any other location.

In the event of the Turkeys voting for Christmas, the British Gov will not release funds.
That leaves the IFA who did not have to spend a penny for the Maze looking for finance to build a stadium.
How many of the soccer club across NI will be happy with their Association, when the representative teams are already a drain on resources.

Since this debate started the OWC have been bitterly sniping at the intentions and position of the GAA in this matter.

Excellent post MS. Are you trying to take the annual 'Who has the most lies in a single post' award away from Donagh? He'll be really disappointed if he doesn't get to win it for the 5th consecutive year.  ::)

Donagh

Quote from: SammyG on April 21, 2008, 08:14:47 AM
Excellent post MS. Are you trying to take the annual 'Who has the most lies in a single post' award away from Donagh? He'll be really disappointed if he doesn't get to win it for the 5th consecutive year.  ::)

Coming from you Sammy, that is funny.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Donagh on April 21, 2008, 12:01:20 AM
Half a page devoted to attacking me?  :D

That is the saddest thing I've witnessed in a long time. Do you honestly think anyone could care less about the opinions of some windbag with no interest in the GAA who spends half his sad life posting ill-informed rubbish on a GAA forum? Unlike you little man, I'm proud to have a life outside a makey-up cyber world which for the rest of us is a small distraction during work break, but obviously seems to form the bedrock of your social interaction. Keep it up though, my estimation of the average OWC supporter falls with every post you make.

You were the one who introduced the Amalgamation Report to a thread which you had started. You were the one who dismissed the Report as "rubbish", "lies", "irrelevant", despite maintaining that you hadn't actually read it  :o.

If you don't want this to get personalised, why not stick to the issues? That is, simply tell us why you think the Report is so deficient, rather than merely lashing out abuse.

After all, at least Main Street has had a go at analysing it, poor though it was.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Donagh

Quote from: Evil Genius on April 21, 2008, 11:00:20 AM
You were the one who introduced the Amalgamation Report to a thread which you had started. You were the one who dismissed the Report as "rubbish", "lies", "irrelevant", despite maintaining that you hadn't actually read it  :o.

If you don't want this to get personalised, why not stick to the issues? That is, simply tell us why you think the Report is so deficient, rather than merely lashing out abuse.

After all, at least Main Street has had a go at analysing it, poor though it was.

See my previous posts.

lynchbhoy

my take on the response to the response on pwc report (and I found the response to the pwc report a collage of excuses and not decent analysis overall - though some decent points and logic that is useless on the question of this stadium)

Response to the RESPONSE TO PwC REPORT: 'PROPOSED MULTI-SPORTS STADIUM FOR NORTHERN IRELAND'

1. INTRODUCTION: IN-BUILT BIAS
-in response to the question of why bother build a stadium for three codes when the GAA obv dont need it , soccer want it in belfast and Rugby are transient at best on what they want - its down to the
GFA, the governments etc shoving 'peace' down everyones thoat, and that the stadium in a 'neutral' green field area - is what they want
to signify starting from scratch and will fall over themselves to implement a 'shared' staduim for the purpose of signalling
future intent of sharing and collaboration (leading to eventual convergence).
It will not matter about the cost, if its a white elephant, built in the 'wrong' location or that it may not be needed at all - the
powers that be (brit and Irish gov) will want to build this for the sheer symbolism, common sense and finances will go out the window.
the only way this will be shelved is the emergence of an economic downturn.

Belfast cannot be considered as the location has to be seen to be a new location, ruling out Belfast city and its pro unionist connotations for GAA folk.

2. COSTS
&
3. REVENUE

These will not matter as the symbolism overtakes the financial aspects of this.
If I read the gov objectives correctly.
Also it will be an easier green field site (literally) to build on and more preferential to gov – though I would guess that GAA folk would prefer a stadium further west and into cheaper land (eg around dungannon).

4. ACCESS AND TRANSPORT
I think this is also a vehicle that the Brit Gov will use to regenerate the lisburn/long kesh etc area.
Also by building a stadium, it will allow this to gloss over the old Long kesh  / prison/war / violence/link with the past scenario.

Infrastruture will be easily built and the benefits to local area immense. Another green field site effectively. Large initial cost, but beneficial long term to the 'new area' its tertiary industries and people.

5. CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE AND OPINION
Studies have shown that the best places for stadiums are in downtown areas, eg American football stadia.
However the driving force behind this stadium is not logic. Therefore logic will not dictate or be brought in here.
Plus a shared stadium would not see a GAA audience want to go into Belfast city for Obv reasons for the near future at least.

6. THE ENVIRONMENT
Will be the same for all locations. Spectators will have to travel. A new site would give the oppotrunity to utilise a greener approach.
Either way it wont make a difference. Prob better not to use up any more of Belfasts' green' area either.

7. ECONOMICS
The new 'town' and local industry will be the long term winner. It would prob create more industry and local economy with the infrastructure creation development and help negate a currently lean time ahead of folk in NI due to the slackening off of industry currently.
Long term economics don't really apply as mentioned prev, the  motivation for this project is the perception of inclusivity and new beginnings etc – they are preparted to take a financial hit. I suppose its miniscule in comparison to the billions haemorrhaged annually on the defence spend.

saffron sam2

I haven't had time to read the full response from the ANISC, but I did get this far.

Quote1.1 The process that has led to the current proposal to build a stadium at the site of the former Maze prison at a stated cost of £240m(!) to the taxpayer is conceptually biased. The proposal seeks to provide an answer to the question "What should we do with the Maze?" ... but the question that should have been asked is "Where is the best location for a stadium?"

1.2 The Government has spent over £9m on consultants to develop the Maze proposal, and spent nothing on proposals for any other locations, yet cites the absence of worked-up proposals for Belfast as a reason for favouring the Maze! This is disingenuous.

1.3 The assessment that PwC has carried out is biased in favour of the Maze:

Belfast options other than North Foreshore are excluded completely from the assessment, despite the fact that no proper consideration has yet been given to Titanic Quarter, Ormeau Park, Maysfield, or any other Belfast location.
The two-sport stadium at North Foreshore which is included is assessed at a more expensive 30,000 capacity, even though a lower-cost 25,000 would be sufficient for football and rugby.
Non-financial criteria are emphasised, resulting in bias towards the most expensive option (Maze):
o The Maze is credited for its apparent compliance with the "shared future" policy, but this is almost wholly spurious: a stadium, by its nature, can never be shared, since events will take place on different days! The supporters of each sport will no more mix at the Maze than they currently do at their separate venues.
o The presumed requirement for three sports to be involved in the same stadium means that an apparent veto exercised by the GAA in favour of the Maze has ruled out potentially cheaper and more value-for-money options in Belfast.

I have a couple of points.

1. I understand that each body is out to achieve what is best for their particular sport, but is the ANISC in favour of one stadium for all three sporting bodies?
- If yes, then there is no need to refer to "Two sport" stadiums.
- If no, do they accept the premise that any money given towards a new stadium for soccer / rugby will have to be matched (for want of a better word) with similar funding for the GAA. To launch into "two-sport" solutions as early as 1.3 shows a lack of realistic thinking on the part of the ANISC.

2. Whilst likely that the proposal is indeed about "What should we do with the Maze?" rather than "Where is the best location for a stadium?", it can't be proven that this is the basis for the proposal and is hence a weak start to the document.

3. What would the ANISC's definition of a stadium within a "shared future"? To me, it is one that is available for use by the whole community. Some sections will use it more than others, hopefully all sections will use it at some stage. IMHO, there is no logic in the document's assertion that that stadium will not be a "shared space", becuase not everyone will use it together. Furthermore, it is more likely that people will attend sporting events here that they would not attend at either Windsor or Casement. I could point to the Press Officer of the ANISC and highlight his commitment to a "shared future", but I won't because that is not technically drectly related to the stadium issue.

I would also suggest that it was a good idea to put the whole proposal on the board and allow those, like ourselves who have an interest, to comment on it, before it becomes the definitive document.

Quote from: SammyG on April 18, 2008, 08:25:05 PM
Quote from: Donagh on April 18, 2008, 07:52:08 PM
Quote from: Chrisowc on April 18, 2008, 07:33:08 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on April 18, 2008, 05:38:28 PM
The personal stuff on this thread is unbelievably childish.
"play the ball, not the man" obviously only counts when certain men are being played.

The hypocracy is unreal.

Indeed, His Holiness. None more spectacular than this tirade....

a foreign team such as Northern Ireland which happily attracts all manner of neo-Nazi and loyalist scumbags to its games. I made a point about that bunch of ill-informed morons on OWC

but I somehow doubt that was what you were getting at ;)

So which bit of that 'tirade' is untrue Chris and which 'man' is it personally directed at?
Let's see
It isn't a foreign team, it's based in the country it represents and always has been
It doesn't attract loyalists (happily or otherwise) who prefer to support Engerlund
It has no connections or attendancve by any neo-Nazi groups and you need to withdraw this allegation.
You keep wittering about people being 'ill-informed' yet you continue to read the board and are able to comment on a lengthy response (to dismiss it as irrelevant) without having read it. Ill-informed indeed.

Some fish in a barrel there for anyone who can be bothered getting the gun out.

the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Evil Genius

Nonsense. Some posters on this thread referred to it, but to list it as 20 pages(!), with the character you ascribe (drawn from a couple of carefully selected, out-of-context quotations), simply doesn't stand up. As for the wider OWC view, Some posters on OWC are agitated about it, but the overwhelming majority don't actually care that much. Our priority is to secure our future in a suitably designed stadium somewhere in Belfast. Indeed, if you need proof of the Museum's place in soccer supporters' priorities, you need only look to the Amalgamation Report - it doesn't mention the proposed Museum anywhere!

Why on earth would the IFA exercise a veto over Belfast? Such a claim beggars belief. Whereas, with a stadium already in Belfast (Casement) and a the GAA "heartland" in Ulster being predominantly rural, western (including Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal), it is obvious why the GAA should reject Belfast in favour of the Maze.
At which point, since the Government was insisting that a stadium would only be built if all three sports agreed to share it, the IFA was in no position to object to anything and Ulster Rugby doesn't care (once it has got its Government grant for Ravenhill), this was handing the GAA a de facto veto, which they chose to exercise.
On which latter point, afaiaa, neither I nor any other OWC poster on this thread has blamed the GAA for preserving their own interests; quite the contrary, they are to be admired for the astute way they have played their hand. Rather, our gripe is with the Government, for dealing the cards from a loaded deck.

The Amalgamation Report (not an OWC Report) states quite clearly that "The economic multiplier effect for city locations is estimated at around 2.5, as opposed to 1.4 for out-of-town locations." Therefore, if the proposed Maze stadium is also more expensive than other, more practical alternatives; and if it is not going to produce the revenues claimed; and since it will have considerably greater infrastructure costs (since these will need to be built from a much lower base), then it is clear that the infrastructure benefits for the Lisburn area represent a huge waste of money. Quite simply, the money could be much better spent elsewhere in NI, on other infrastructure projects. After all, it's hardly as if everything else has been built, and we're scratching around to find other trains, roads and transport links and amenities etc...

Leaving to one side your clear implication that we shouldn't worry about obvious flaws in the Maze proposal, since other plans are/were similarly flawed(!), the Amalgamation does not concern itself with other plans. Indeed, the Amalgamation is not even concerned with the various other uses to which the Maze site might be put. Rather, as the largest organisation representing soccer supporters in NI, it is addressing the proposed new stadium for international soccer in NI. As you might expect.  ::)

The Amalgamation Report doesn't really address (not "recognise") how the GAA is constituted since that is no business of the Amalgamation's. Consequently, their Report does not dispute why the GAA preferred the Maze site of the three presented to it, never mind whether that preference represents the consensus of GAA Members' views. None of that is any of the Amalgamation's business. Rather, the Amalgamation has addressed PWC's Report primarily from the viewpoint of how it impacts upon NI soccer. As such, one of their main concerns is that PWC made no effort to ascertain directly the views of any of the anticipated users of the Stadium. At best, this is negligent, considering how many "assunptions" they are forced to make. At worst it is sinister, since it suggests they don't want to hear any opposition. (But whilst on the subject of GAA fans' views, which the Amalgamation only referred to obliquely, one might have thought that if GAA members were strongly in favour of the Maze, it would have helped PWC's case to canvass them. It would also have "helped" the GAA in reassuring everyone that the Council continues to act democratically and in accordance with the views of its membership)

In general it is regarded that members run clubs, of course they need fans but its the members who take the decisions and who take responsibility for them.

Clearly! Quite honestly, the IFA is nowhere nearly so democratic or accountable an organisation as e.g. the GAA. Moreover, its Chief Executive (Wells) is currently being paid by the Government (DCAL), which explains why he personally is so keen on the Government plan for the Maze, contrary to the great majority of NI soccer fans. As for the "13 of 15" clubs (there are actually 16 senior clubs in the Premier Division, out of 40 senior clubs in all), their view are not especially relevant, since of the 5 or 6 contracted soccer matches for the Maze, only one (Irish Cup Final) actually involves those clubs, with another (Setanta Cup) occasionally possibly involving one. And both of these matches will be by far the least attended soccer matches. The majority of soccer matches, including all of the best attended, will be internationals. And the Amalgamation represents thousands of supporters of the NI international team.

Now you're just beginning to rant. Frankly, I am not sure anyone is certain exactly on what grounds responsibility for the Maze project has been devolved to Stormont. However, it is abundantly clear that Peter Robinson, soon to be First Minister, believes that he has the power to "pull the plug" on the Maze stadium, and I have no doubt he is correct in that. Of course, his powers to replace the Maze with something else are not so clear, but as a reasonably astute politician, I have little doubt that he has a "Plan B" up his sleeve. Of course, this "Plan B" could be just to "pocket" any central funding he can foir the NI Budget and to do nothing to replace the Maze. However, since his new-found reluctance to proceed with the Maze appears to derive from pressure from his party grassroots and his electorate generally, and those grassroots/electorate will also likely not want to see the NI team left in the lurch, I am reasonably confident that should he definitely bin the Maze stadium, he will come up with some sort of replacement for NI soccer (in Belfast).
And, of course, since the way Stormont is set up, when one side gets some sweeties, the other side always has to get its equal share, I imagine there will also be provision to compensate GAA and Ulster Rugby.
In which case, the only question will be how many sweeties everyone will get.

Frankly, if you were to ask any of the hundreds of soccer clubs across NI whether they want to see hundreds of millions of pounds spent on a stadium in which they will never actually play and which will only host half a dozen soccer internationals a year, or whether they would prefer a fraction of that money spend on providing grassroots facilities and a more modest international stadium, the overwhelming answer would be for the latter.

A nice idea in theory and not one which has encountered significant opposition per se from NI soccer fans. However, we just feel that the requirements of the three codes are each so different, and the Maze scheme so outrageously wasteful, that rather than pursuing a politically-driven White Elephant which doesn't truly satisfy anyone, it would be more practical to spend less money in allowing each sport to determine its own priorities.

I don't know whether you are referring to the Amalgamation Report, or this thread, or OWC, but either way, that is a gross distortion of the true character of the debate. Then again, if you are determined only to see what you want to see, then what can the rest of us do?

"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: Donagh on April 21, 2008, 11:27:32 AM
Quote from: Evil Genius on April 21, 2008, 11:00:20 AM

See my previous posts.

"See your previous posts"? Now you surely are having a laugh. Nowhere have you made any attempt to analyse the Amalgamation Report, never mind justify your assertion that it is "full" of "lies", "distortions", "irrelevances" etc. Instead, all you have done was initially to refer to one minor, passing reference by the Amalgamation to concerts at Croke in 2007, which has already been conceded by me as being misleading of them, before launching a tirade of abusive and diversionary posts.

At least Main Street, Saffron Sam and Lynchboy have made an effort to address the Report which you introduced. Then again, perhaps they did more than merely "glance through it"...

"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"