The "90+% Orange Parades do pass off peacefully" thread

Started by Aaron Boone, July 12, 2014, 01:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

Quiet one here today

thejuice

I think we should come up with our own celebrations for the 12th. Doesn't have to include the OO or parades but I suppose a day to celebrate the biha-orange on the flag. We could all do with another day off work especially in the summer.

We could celebrate the positive contribution of Protestant folks to the country even if some would rather not acknowledge it.

First thing that comes to mind, There are a site of stately homes and mansion houses throughout the country that are just rotting away and swallowed by ivy which would better be used as state assets for tourism.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

lynchbhoy

Quote from: T Fearon on July 12, 2014, 05:51:51 AM
Good column by Alex Kane in Irish News yesterday about need to turn a blind eye to things like parades etc that you don't like or currently get wound up by.And an excellent column by Rev Brian Kenneway, a former Orange Chaplain, in Belfast Telegraph about differences in Belfast and rural parades which allows major parades to be held in republican hotbeds like Newtonhamilton without any hint of trouble.

Instead of the current furore over parades, bonfire effigies and posters etc,I am of the opinion that if these issues were completely ignored by nationalists everywhere (including N Belfast and Drumcree) their frequency and publicity would reduce dramatically.

dunno Tony, ignoring the provocation decades ago allowed the oppressive masses to try and ram home their authority.
I think we have learned that these people cannot act with equality, dignity and decency.
I would love to think that ignoring them would make them stop, but they'd not, they would only want to get even closer into your face to do it.
The orange parade in Dungiven a month or so ago imo proves that.
there has never been a loyalist/unionist/oo parade that I have heard about before through this republican/nationalist town - very few unionist/loyalist/oo live in the region let alone in the town.
So it shows the mentality present when they request and are granted permission to walk up Dungiven where they have no previous history of doing so and are just not wanted.
The people of the town did come out and watched , some protested - all standing peacefully.
But if this is what the oo is now at - provocation - then I think your notion is fatally flawed.
you are not dealing with right minded people here.

I too agreed with foxcommander for a long time and thought not only should nationalist/republicans bedecked in green and harps and Irish symbolism be watching and cheering on these parades - but should be mandatory to take part in them.
I had thought this would have a greater chance of killing off such parades when republican flute bands were playing their tunes in the same parade.
However, I think this would be provocation and be counter productive.

Marches should be limited to the areas where people belong. the amount of marches should be cut down.
Obvious provocative marches like Dungiven and the flashpoints in Belfast etc should not be allowed to proceed.

However, I personally like the flute bands and some of the tunes and theatrics of both sides.
Think the sash is a great tune and the old' rising of the moon' unbeatable when both played by flute bands.

the parades commission, northern assembly and brit/Irish gov's need to address this problem before it gets out of hand (if it hasn't already done so - but I can see it getting worse ...eg Dungiven style provocations becoming more frequent).

so far its brushed under the carpet or effectively encouraged be not dealing with this - just to appease the Neanderthals of the oo/unionist/loyalist community.

foxcommander

Tom Elliott and Arlene Foster are objecting to the annual Hunger Strike commemoration in Fermanagh.
Trying to compare apples and oranges?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-28327754
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

michaelg

general_lee

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 16, 2014, 03:55:02 PM
Good column by Alex Kane in Irish News yesterday about need to turn a blind eye to things like parades etc that you don't like or currently get wound up by.And an excellent column by Rev Brian Kenneway, a former Orange Chaplain, in Belfast Telegraph about differences in Belfast and rural parades which allows major parades to be held in republican hotbeds like Newtonhamilton without any hint of trouble.

Instead of the current furore over parades, bonfire effigies and posters etc,I am of the opinion that if these issues were completely ignored by nationalists everywhere (including N Belfast and Drumcree) their frequency and publicity would reduce dramatically.
there has never been a loyalist/unionist/oo parade that I have heard about before through this republican/nationalist town - very few unionist/loyalist/oo live in the region let alone in the town.
Plenty in Limavady and surrounding areas - only up the road!

I say let them march, if there's no contention, or if agreement/accommodation can be made then let them at it.

When this country's eventually united I'll let them march round my back garden for all I care.

Rossfan

Quote from: foxcommander on July 16, 2014, 08:42:48 PM
Tom Elliott and Arlene Foster are objecting to the annual Hunger Strike commemoration in Fermanagh.

Derrylin is 95% Nationalist isn't it?
Can't see what the problem is.
It would never be that "we" shouldn't be allowed to commemorate our heroes now would it ?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

foxcommander

Quote from: Rossfan on July 16, 2014, 10:25:11 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on July 16, 2014, 08:42:48 PM

Derrylin is 95% Nationalist isn't it?
Can't see what the problem is.
It would never be that "we" shouldn't be allowed to commemorate our heroes now would it ?

It's more to do with where this is taking place. Taking into consideration history of Enniskillen and that it's  local population being mixed it wouldn't have been appropriate to hold it there. This is where Tom, Arlene, that fella that used to read the news and such don't seem to grasp that, instead they insist on marches in contentious areas which stokes up tensions. Seems to be a gameplan of theirs recently.

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

lynchbhoy

Quote from: general_lee on July 16, 2014, 09:49:33 PM

I say let them march, if there's no contention, or if agreement/accommodation can be made then let them at it.

When this country's eventually united I'll let them march round my back garden for all I care.
theres fcuk all of them in the immediate vicinity - that's the problem, its not up the road!
they can trot around limavady or coleraine all day long if they like, but they wanted to provoke local nationalist people by tramping around where they were not wanted. objections to parade were ignored.
locals did behave in a dignified manner- which prob pssed off the oo

the same 'croppy lie down' mentality is prevalent and remains with these oo/unionist/loyalist provokers.

Gabriel_Hurl

I remember seeing/being at an orange parade in Dungiven when I was a young 'un - that was over 20 years though

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on July 17, 2014, 05:29:47 PM
I remember seeing/being at an orange parade in Dungiven when I was a young 'un - that was over 20 years though
not saying it didn't happen - but I don't recall it myself - but even if it did, the point is that its not a 'traditional route' and a rare event- I must ask around- as many moons ago Dungiven would have rioted at such an event with ulsterbus goldliners hijacked and set on fire etc

thankfully we have come a long way since then - but the oo/unionists/loyalists involved in this craic certainly haven't!!

Aerlik

General Lee, you clearly do not know Dungiven!

Lynchbhoy, which version of the Sash do you reckon is a quare auld tune?  This one?

It was on the 12th. that King Billy shit himself
at the corner of the Sandy Row.
He was eating Paris Buns
when he heard the fenian guns
And the sash he sang no more.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

DoireGael

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 17, 2014, 05:16:05 PM
Quote from: general_lee on July 16, 2014, 09:49:33 PM

theres fcuk all of them in the immediate vicinity - that's the problem, its not up the road!
they can trot around limavady or coleraine all day long if they like, but they wanted to provoke local nationalist people by tramping around where they were not wanted. objections to parade were ignored.
locals did behave in a dignified manner- which prob pssed off the oo

the same 'croppy lie down' mentality is prevalent and remains with these oo/unionist/loyalist provokers.

I think in Limavady its just a lost cause and I feel the local Catholic community are completely undermined. The Bands stopped outside St Mary's Limavady this summer yet again to play the Sash during 7pm Mass while I was in attendance, its now 2014.

http://www.derryjournal.com/news/vile-act-at-church-condemned-1-4125258

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/anger-after-loyalist-bandsmen-urinate-at-priests-home-in-limavady-30272511.html

Limavady is classified as a medium town by the Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency (NISRA) (i.e. with population between 10,000 and 18,000 people). On Census day (29 April 2001) there were 12,135 people living in Limavady. Of these:

25.4% were aged under 16 years and 14.3% were aged 60 and over
48.8% of the population were male and 51.2% were female
41.6% were from a Catholic background and 56.5% were from a Protestant background[11]
5.1% of people aged 16–74 were unemployed.