The Official 2016 US Presidential election thread

Started by Eamonnca1, July 10, 2014, 05:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oraisteach

Add to that the blatant gerrymandering as well as SCOTUS reversing provisions of the Voting Rights Act that kept an eye on districts with records of cheating.

J70

Quote from: whitey on January 22, 2016, 11:04:37 AM
Quote from: Syferus on January 22, 2016, 01:18:55 AM
Quote from: ashman on January 22, 2016, 12:52:33 AM
Quote from: whitey on January 21, 2016, 10:55:54 PM
Painful beyond all comprehension listening to her, but on a more positive note looking more and more like Hillarys goose is slowly cooking

http://usuncut.com/politics/video-surfaces-of-hillary-clinton-blaming-homeowners-for-financial-crisis/

As things stand , Hilary , for all her faults , is the most desirable POTUS .

And she'll win it handily. 16 years of slightly more sanity than usual from the White House.

I'm not so sure, it's going to get real interesting

DNC are in full panic mode.....just after scheduling an extra debate-LOL

DNC are in panic mode?

Have you seen this week's edition of National Review?

They're pulling out all the stops to try to torpedo Trump! 22 different opinion pieces!

When he is the logical conclusion, personified, of their own white resentment politics!

whitey

Quote from: J70 on January 23, 2016, 06:13:46 PM
Painful beyond all comprehension listening to her, but on a more positive note looking more and more like Hillarys goose is slowly cooking

http://usuncut.com/politics/video-surfaces-of-hillary-clinton-blaming-homeowners-for-financial-crisis/

And she'll win it handily. 16 years of slightly more sanity than usual from the White House.

DNC are in panic mode?

They're pulling out all the stops to try to torpedo Trump! 22 different opinion pieces!

When he is the logical conclusion, personified, of their own white resentment politics!

????????

Whats "white resentment politics".........Ive never heard that term before.

Who or what are they resentful of?

(I already knew the Repubs were in full panic mode, I was just pointing out that the Dems are too)

(Of the leading candidates in the Republican primary, 2 are hispanic and one is African American so Im completely confused)

Eamonnca1

Much as I love Bernie, it's still looking good for Clinton. She got quite a bounce when Biden pulled out:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/2016_democratic_presidential_nomination-3824.html

Although Sanders seems to be pulling ahead in New Hampshire, which could change things:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/nh/new_hampshire_democratic_presidential_primary-3351.html

South Carolina's the real test though, and Sanders has a lot of ground to catch up there. I don't see how he can, with Clinton over 60% and Sanders on 20%:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/sc/south_carolina_democratic_presidential_primary-4167.html

They say South Carolina is where reality starts to kick in since it's more representative of the country. Which is alarming from the point of view of the GOP race. Trump seems to have the upper hand in SC, but the rise of Cruz is interesting. He's an extremist who hasn't a hope of beating Clinton.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/sc/south_carolina_republican_presidential_primary-4151.html

My heart says "feel the bern," but my head says Clinton's going to get in and it won't even be close.

J70

Quote from: whitey on January 23, 2016, 06:29:53 PM

DNC are in panic mode?

????????

(I already knew the Repubs were in full panic mode, I was just pointing out that the Dems are too)

(Of the leading candidates in the Republican primary, 2 are hispanic and one is African American so Im completely confused)

Seriously? You've never heard of that (even if you don't agree with it)?

Have you ever listened to Trump or Palin or most of the GOP rhetoric in recent years (actually, you can go back 40 years to Reagan and the welfare queens in Harlem!)

whitey

Quote from: J70 on January 23, 2016, 11:30:23 PM

DNC are in panic mode?

????????

Have you ever listened to Trump or Palin or most of the GOP rhetoric in recent years (actually, you can go back 40 years to Reagan and the welfare queens in Harlem!)

I had never heard that term until I saw it in your post

Id love for you to explain it to me

J70

Quote from: whitey on January 23, 2016, 11:48:20 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 23, 2016, 11:30:23 PM

DNC are in panic mode?

????????

I had never heard that term until I saw it in your post

Id love for you to explain it to me

There are any number of articles on the internet on it which can explain it much better than me.

But basically it comes down to stoking fears and resentment among GOP voters about Democrats and liberals and all the ways they're supposedly trying to destroy the traditional, white, christian American identity. Wedge issues basically. Think of Fox News hyping up the New Black Panther threat after the 2008 election. Or the war on christmas. The "danger" to the "traditional" family posed by equality for gays. The supposed persecution of christians. The liberal "plot" to strip people of their guns (we're still waiting having entered Obama's eighth year). The abuse of welfare by minorities. Makers and takers and job creators. The evils of affirmative action. Illegal immigrants and their taking away of jobs from American, their inclination towards criminality and, lately, terrorism. Obama supposedly being a Kenyan born muslim. Indeed the dangers of muslims in general.

It goes back to the southern strategy and Nixon's law and order rhetoric and 70s uproars over school busing and Reagan and his welfare queens in Harlem driving Cadillacs. Lee Atwater and Willie Horton.

But as I said, listen to Trump and Palin (if you can understand her incoherent nonsense!). They're only the most obvious and open proponents of the white christian as victim. I not sure who coined the term, but there is a reason many Republicans focus on "god, guns and gays" to whip up fear and thus support among people who might not otherwise share their political outlook. There's a reason none of them had the balls to admit to accepting evolution during the 2012 primaries. Or more lately, climate change science.

whitey

What a pile of nonsense......for example the people who rioted against busing are Irish Americans who vote 99.99999% Democrat in every election.

Obama was AGAINST gay marriage in 2008.

That idiot lady in Kentucky who won't issue marriage licenses is .....wait for it....a DEMOCRAT

As I thought, it's just a lazy all encompassing stereotype that all Republicans are rascist/xenophobic/homophobic......

foxcommander

Quote from: J70 on January 24, 2016, 01:21:27 AM
Obama supposedly being a Kenyan born muslim

What's with the "supposedly" ?
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Eamonnca1

Quote from: whitey on January 24, 2016, 02:13:28 AM
What a pile of nonsense......for example the people who rioted against busing are Irish Americans who vote 99.99999% Democrat in every election.

That idiot lady in Kentucky who won't issue marriage licenses is .....wait for it....a DEMOCRAT

As I thought, it's just a lazy all encompassing stereotype that all Republicans are rascist/xenophobic/homophobic......

I think I see the fault in your claim there. Nobody said that "all" republicans are bigots, but enough of them are that they can swing elections and throw demagogues like Trump to the top of the polls. When a Democrat front-runner starts calling for all muslims to be banned from entering, all illegals to be deported, a Great Wall of America to be built along the Mexican border at the Mexican government's expense, and brags about being able to shoot someone and still not lose any support, only then can you start to play the "one side is as bad as the other" card without people laughing at you.

seafoid

the dems lost the deep south in 1968, whitey. Never got it back apart from Georgia I think

whitey

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 24, 2016, 04:57:20 AM

I think I see the fault in your claim there. Nobody said that "all" republicans are bigots, but enough of them are that they can swing elections and throw demagogues like Trump to the top of the polls. When a Democrat front-runner starts calling for all muslims to be banned from entering, all illegals to be deported, a Great Wall of America to be built along the Mexican border at the Mexican government's expense, and brags about being able to shoot someone and still not lose any support, only then can you start to play the "one side is as bad as the other" card without people laughing at you.

Not sure where your getting the "one side as bad as the other card".......that has nothing to do with what were discussing. 

J70

Er, no its not nonsense. Gay marriage has NEVER been a deal breaker for Democrats. Whereas Karl Rove used it to tip the 2004 election. And no one said ALL the people who respond to these wedge issues were GOP, but most of them are. Why the hell do you think the GOP has embraced them. Do you think it's an accident that the south has turned overwhelmingly Republican while they've pretty much vanished in the NE and west coast? That uneducated whites now lean Republican? Do you deny that the GOP exploits these issues?

Oh, and Kim Davis changed her party registration.

seafoid

Sanders might have a fighting chance over the Inequality issue. Median US wage has been stagnant for a generation.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on January 24, 2016, 12:44:25 PM

Er, no its not nonsense. Gay marriage has NEVER been a deal breaker for Democrats. Whereas Karl Rove used it to tip the 2004 election. And no one said ALL the people who respond to these wedge issues were GOP, but most of them are. Why the hell do you think the GOP has embraced them. Do you think it's an accident that the south has turned overwhelmingly Republican while they've pretty much vanished in the NE and west coast? That uneducated whites now lean Republican? Do you deny that the GOP exploits these issues?

Oh, and Kim Davis changed her party registration.

So Republicans use wedge issue to mobilize their base-agreed!

And the Democrats do exactly the same thing just they use different wedge issues.....the biggest one being the so called "war on women".

(Unfortunately for them it has backfired spectacularly on Hillary this go around. And should Bernie dcide to take up the torch, that little op Ed he wrote about rape will come back to haunt him)

Oh and Hillary now trying to paint Bernie as a borderline NRA member even though he gets a D- grade from the NRA. Shows how desperate she is.....that card is normally reserved for the Republicans