The Official 2016 US Presidential election thread

Started by Eamonnca1, July 10, 2014, 05:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Dems would like Bernie to win but they recognize the reality that Hillary is a better bet for mopping up the centrist voters that they're going to need. Republitards are he'll be t on ideological purity, and in their echo chamber they can 't see that they need a centrist candidate to stand a chance of winning the general election. Why anyone would admire the Republican strategy is beyond me.

whitey

Quote from: omaghjoe on December 20, 2015, 11:27:23 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 20, 2015, 02:17:27 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on December 20, 2015, 05:55:00 AM
Im lost lads, yous seem to excel at quibbling

Anyway I watched bits and pieces of the Democratic debate tonight, I thought yous would be all into it.

Bernie seems genuine and sensible, for what I seen and heard by far the closest to my politicial outlook, tho not sure if he's a great politician.

Hillary never seems to give over, she seemed to talk 80% of the debate. She knows what she talking about, knows the game and more importantly knows how to air brush things. Does any1 else think she looks like the fake Santa Claus from the Santa Clause?

The O'Malley chap never seems to blink

Why?

Its Hillary's nomination. Nothing to see here!

Are you being serious or are you continuing the squabble with foxie etc?

One thing I find truely bizzare coming from the mainstream, white, middle class democrate voters who pride themselves as voting on conscience, is that they keep saying... " well I agree with Bernie more but I think that Hillary has a better chance of getting elected" Strange outlook if you ask me.

You gotta give the GOP voters credit for voting instinctively, instead of tactically

My approach in the primaries is is to vote for the person whos most likely to get elected in the general election.

(As a registered independent, I can also cross over and vote in the Democratic primary if I want. Once I did it to vote for a great candidate, Congressman Stephen Lynch (who unfortunately got defeated) and during last years Governors primary, I voted for Steve Grossman in an attempt to undermine Democratic front runner Martha Coakley. Tons of Republicans I know did this, and it worked)

omaghjoe

Quote from: Hardy on December 21, 2015, 12:03:37 AM
Yes, because we should value instinct over intellect.  ::)

Mistaking strategy for intellect would indicate lack of the latter

omaghjoe

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 21, 2015, 12:38:25 AM
Dems would like Bernie to win but they recognize the reality that Hillary is a better bet for mopping up the centrist voters that they're going to need. Republitards are he'll be t on ideological purity, and in their echo chamber they can 't see that they need a centrist candidate to stand a chance of winning the general election. Why anyone would admire the Republican strategy is beyond me.

The GOP voters dont have a strategy, that's my point, they are voting on what they value personally. A large section of the demos though arent, they are voting not on what they actually believe in, but as part of a strategy to appeal to the middle ground. The problem with middle ground of course is that it is relative, and in America the middle ground in politics is much too far to the right for anyone who agrees with Bernie Sanders to be remotely attached to.

I would say this to the Demo voters, if you want America to be run in the manner that it has been and continue on that course, vote for Hillary. I have no doubt that she will defo do a very good job at that if elected.

On the other hand if you want to send a message of what you believe in to the rest of country, vote Bernie. He'd be a risk, as he might not get elected and if he was elected he might not be the shrewdest politically at implementing his vision.

deiseach

Quote from: omaghjoe on December 21, 2015, 08:06:40 AM
I would say this to the Demo voters, if you want America to be run in the manner that it has been and continue on that course, vote for Gore. I have no doubt that he will defo do a very good job at that if elected.

On the other hand if you want to send a message of what you believe in to the rest of country, vote Nader. He'd be a risk, as he might not get elected and if he was elected he might not be the shrewdest politically at implementing his vision.

Fixed that for you.

screenexile

Sounds like Hilary has backed herself into a corner with her comments the other night... "Right where we want to be with ISIS!" Whoever the f**k told her to say that needs fired and I thought she would have known better herself than to say that.

Her comment about ISIS using a video of Trump looking to ban Muslims coming into America as a recruitment campaign has no way of being verified either and Trump is looking for an apology. He's got a brass neck as he is still to substantiate his claims about Muslims celebrating in Jersey, Obamas birth certificate etc. etc.

J70

Quote from: omaghjoe on December 20, 2015, 11:27:23 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 20, 2015, 02:17:27 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on December 20, 2015, 05:55:00 AM
Im lost lads, yous seem to excel at quibbling

Anyway I watched bits and pieces of the Democratic debate tonight, I thought yous would be all into it.

Bernie seems genuine and sensible, for what I seen and heard by far the closest to my politicial outlook, tho not sure if he's a great politician.

Hillary never seems to give over, she seemed to talk 80% of the debate. She knows what she talking about, knows the game and more importantly knows how to air brush things. Does any1 else think she looks like the fake Santa Claus from the Santa Clause?

The O'Malley chap never seems to blink

Why?

Its Hillary's nomination. Nothing to see here!

Are you being serious or are you continuing the squabble with foxie etc?

One thing I find truely bizzare coming from the mainstream, white, middle class democrate voters who pride themselves as voting on conscience, is that they keep saying... " well I agree with Bernie more but I think that Hillary has a better chance of getting elected" Strange outlook if you ask me.

You gotta give the GOP voters credit for voting instinctively, instead of tactically

I was being serious and responding to your question about the lack of discussion of the democratic primaries. Barring something bizarre turning up, it's Hillary's.

I'm all for the GOP base voting their instinct! The further right their nominee is, the easier he or she will be to defeat. Plenty more tantrums like this week's response to the budget agreement are just what is needed!

I guess a lot of Democratic voters are more afraid of the GOP than positive about the likes of Sanders. Whether they're more pragmatic or less deluded that GOP voters is up for debate.

If Cruz is selected and gets hammered by Hillary next year, it will at least kill the perennial Fox News/Rush Limbaugh whining that they would have won if only they'd selected a true conservative!

armaghniac

Quote from: J70 on December 21, 2015, 02:29:09 PM
If Cruz is selected and gets hammered by Hillary next year, it will at least kill the perennial Fox News/Rush Limbaugh whining that they would have won if only they'd selected a true conservative!

Do you want to bet? They don't seem much influenced by facts in other matters.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Canalman

For what it is worth I think the Republicans over the last decade or so have managed to strengthen their hardcore of 45% of the electorate. That core probably despise the Democrats/ Obama/ Clintons x2 more than ever.

Problem is / was trying to reach out to the 5/6% percent extra needed to win the presidency.
Being less than friendly to hispanics (natural republicans imo) a disaster imo given how the demographics of America are changing.

armaghniac

Quote from: Canalman on December 21, 2015, 03:37:57 PM
Problem is / was trying to reach out to the 5/6% percent extra needed to win the presidency.
Being less than friendly to hispanics (natural republicans imo) a disaster imo given how the demographics of America are changing.

I was reading that Romney had more white votes than Reagan and would have sailed home last time had the US had the same makeup as 30 years ago. It doesn't, but the GOP hasn't quite caught on.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

J70

But the RNC DID catch on and published a mea culpa after the 2012 election. Even Bobby Jindal, the man who just ran Louisiana into the ground trying to bolster his credibility with the tea party types, said they had to stop being the "stupid party", although this didn't ONLY refer to immigration.

Their problem is that the GOP base doesn't give a shit about demonizing immigrants, gays, science and all the rest, so the party itself has had little choice in the matter.

They cultivated and embraced this ignorant, bigoted, white resentment  bullshit when it suited them, so f**k them!

J70

Quote from: armaghniac on December 21, 2015, 03:11:29 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 21, 2015, 02:29:09 PM

Do you want to bet? They don't seem much influenced by facts in other matters.

Are you suggesting voting fraud conspiracies will be wheeled out?! :)

magpie seanie

Surely the Clintons are funding the whole Trump campaign???? It's the only thing that makes sense!!!!!

J70

For what it is worth I think the Republicans over the last decade or so have managed to strengthen their hardcore of 45% of the electorate. That core probably despise the Democrats/ Obama/ Clintons x2 more than ever.

It's ironic given how culturally conservative and hard working most Hispanic immigrants are, supposedly things that the GOP base embraces.

Eamonnca1

Your 45 sounds like a very high number. The number of racist old white men is a lot smaller than that, I would have thought.