The Official 2016 US Presidential election thread

Started by Eamonnca1, July 10, 2014, 05:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: whitey on December 09, 2015, 04:12:05 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 09, 2015, 03:08:57 PM
The Republicans are reaping what they've sewn over the past 7 years. They embraced the tea party and the birthers and the "no mosque at Ground Zero" crowd.

Let them choke on it!

(One does wonder where the birthers are now with Ted Cruz polling high?!)

lol-you really think building a mosque/Islamic Center a couple of blocks was from the World Trade Center was a good idea ? 
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/muslim-scholar-dont-build-islamic-center/

Maybe you should suggest building a monument to the Parachute Regiment in the Bogside while you are at it!!  You can't tarnish all Paratroopers with the same brush you know.....only a very small minority shot civilians dead during Bloody Sunday

Have you been reading the Donald Trump book of ignorant analogies?  The analogy you were reaching for, but that would of course blow your bigoted point out of the water, would be to build a Protestant Church in Derry (assuming the majority of the killer Paras were C of E).

Hardy

Quote from: foxcommander on December 09, 2015, 02:24:10 PM
Quote from: Hardy on December 09, 2015, 02:09:28 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on December 09, 2015, 02:07:40 PM
Quote from: deiseach on December 09, 2015, 01:59:35 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 09, 2015, 01:44:42 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on December 08, 2015, 09:45:43 PM
I cant find it anywhere but I remember reading somewhere about the physical characteristics that defined people's classification in Apartheid South Africa to White, Black or Coloured. They where ridiculous, things like the angle of shoulder slant and rubbish like that, sometimes siblings were classified in different races.

So if something as objective as physical appearance could not even be defined properly, imagine the impossibility of trying to apply it to something as subjective as religion.

Reminds me of years ago when I went out with a protestant lass from the north for a while. Apparently a protestant stereotype about us catholic types was that you could spot us because our eyes were much closer together! :)

She looks a bit roscommon or mayo-esque to me...

Good call to delete your first reply. I won't tell Deiseach what it was if you don't want me to.

You can do what you like. I thought it might have been too harsh.

edit - you can squeal on PM like i'm sure you've already done.

You'll never know, will you? But you could make a partial retrieval by manning up and PM-ing your post to him yourself.

foxcommander

Quote from: Hardy on December 09, 2015, 04:47:17 PM
Quote from: Hardy on December 09, 2015, 02:09:28 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on December 09, 2015, 02:07:40 PM
Quote from: deiseach on December 09, 2015, 01:59:35 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 09, 2015, 01:44:42 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on December 08, 2015, 09:45:43 PM
I cant find it anywhere but I remember reading somewhere about the physical characteristics that defined people's classification in Apartheid South Africa to White, Black or Coloured. They where ridiculous, things like the angle of shoulder slant and rubbish like that, sometimes siblings were classified in different races.

So if something as objective as physical appearance could not even be defined properly, imagine the impossibility of trying to apply it to something as subjective as religion.

Reminds me of years ago when I went out with a protestant lass from the north for a while. Apparently a protestant stereotype about us catholic types was that you could spot us because our eyes were much closer together! :)

She looks a bit roscommon or mayo-esque to me...

Good call to delete your first reply. I won't tell Deiseach what it was if you don't want me to.

You'll never know, will you? But you could make a partial retrieval by manning up and PM-ing your post to him yourself.

as I said, I don't care. I'll let you squeal like a piggy....
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

deiseach

As it happens, I've heard nothing from Hardy and don't expect to. But you carry on applying your screwed-up values to others.

whitey

Quote from: Hardy on December 09, 2015, 04:45:36 PM
The Republicans are reaping what they've sewn over the past 7 years. They embraced the tea party and the birthers and the "no mosque at Ground Zero" crowd.

Let them choke on it!

lol-you really think building a mosque/Islamic Center a couple of blocks was from the World Trade Center was a good idea ? 

Maybe you should suggest building a monument to the Parachute Regiment in the Bogside while you are at it!!  You can't tarnish all Paratroopers with the same brush you know.....only a very small minority shot civilians dead during Bloody Sunday

Have you been reading the Donald Trump book of ignorant analogies?  The analogy you were reaching for, but that would of course blow your bigoted point out of the water, would be to build a Protestant Church in Derry (assuming the majority of the killer Paras were C of E).

A small sub faction of a large group (the British military) committed an atrocity in Derry

A small faction (jihadists) of a bigger group (Muslims) committed an atrocity on 9/11

It's exactly the same. The majority of Nationalists wouldn't want a memorial to the British Military in their neighborhood and the majority of Americans were against the Islamic Center

J70

Let them choke on it!

Are you seriously comparing the entire combined sects of Islam to the Parachute Regiment on Bloody Sunday?? :o ;D

And yeah, I have no problem whatsoever with the building of a mosque on Park Row, any more than I have an issue with the islamic centers and buildings all over Queens, where I live (I can think of at least four I drive past every day dropping my kids to daycare). Unfortunately the bigotry has now extended to blocking mosques all over the country.

Origin of birthers was Hillarys campaign (and Obamas own biography)

It wasn't Hillary's campaign. That is a lie. It was a tiny minority of her diehard  supporters in a f**king chain email. It never gained traction until the GOP embraced it, to the level that even Speaker of the House, John Boehner  was afraid to discredit it for fear of the tea party and members of his own, elected, fellow House members! The GOP and Fox News were an utter, shameful, disgrace when it came to the birther stuff.

Obama's autobiography - you'll have to explain that one.

foxcommander

Quote from: deiseach on December 09, 2015, 04:50:50 PM

As it happens, I've heard nothing from Hardy and don't expect to.

Grand so.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

J70

Quote from: whitey on December 09, 2015, 04:52:44 PM

Let them choke on it!

A small sub faction of a large group (the British military) committed an atrocity in Derry

A small faction (jihadists) of a bigger group (Muslims) committed an atrocity on 9/11

It's exactly the same. The majority of Nationalists wouldn't want a memorial to the British Military in their neighborhood and the majority of Americans were against the Islamic Center

Don't be stupid. The religion of Islam is not present in the US as an organ of an oppressive state.

If it was a memorial to anti-American, violent jihad, yeah, you might have a point.

deiseach

You must have agreed with Sammy Wilson then on how the GAA was the IRA at play. 

Hardy

Let them choke on it!

You're learning well. That's exactly the Trump methodology. Appeal to fear and stoke anger, relying on ignorance.

And just keep shouting statements ("it's exactly the same") without any interest in whether they're true or not.

Of course it's not anywhere near the same. You know this, but just in case you're the only one who doesn't, I'll point it out anyway: The British Military is not an equivalent of "Muslims".  An approximate equivalent of Muslims would be Protestants.

The jihadists are, in fact, less representative of Muslims than the Paratroop regiment is of Protestantism. The jihadists have no mandate from Islam as an organised religion and have, to some extent  been disowned by mainstream Islam. The Paras were and still are a regiment of the British army, an arm of the British state, whose established religion is Protestantism.

It would be ludicrous for the People of Derry to object to the building of a Church in the Bogside, so tenuous and remote is the link between Protestantism and Bloody Sunday. But  ludicrous as it would be, such an objection would make more sense than for Americans to object to the building of a mosque in New York.

[Edit - sorry - posted before I saw the better rebuttals]

Declan

whitey

It wasn't just a mosque-it was going to be a 15 story Islamic Cultural Center.

So comparing it to building an Anglican Church in the Bogside is pure nonsense- more-like a 15 story British Legion that contained a chapel. How offensive would you find it if that was proposed??

Anyway this was not the place for it...it should never have been proposed in e first place and I'm glad it wasn't built.

Read what the proposed Iman had to say about people who leave Islam

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/818916

seafoid

Re Trump and also le Pen

http://michaelrosenblog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/fascism-i-sometimes-fear.html

I sometimes fear that
people think that fascism arrives in fancy dress
worn by grotesques and monsters
as played out in endless re-runs of the Nazis.
Fascism arrives as your friend.
It will restore your honour,
make you feel proud,
protect your house,
give you a job,
clean up the neighbourhood,

remind you of how great you once were,
clear out the venal and the corrupt,
remove anything you feel is unlike you...
It doesn't walk in saying,
"Our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."

Posted by MichaelRosen     at 07:56

J70

Quote from: whitey on December 09, 2015, 06:26:11 PM
It wasn't just a mosque-it was going to be a 15 story Islamic Cultural Center.

So comparing it to building an Anglican Church in the Bogside is pure nonsense- more-like a 15 story British Legion that contained a chapel. How offensive would you find it if that was proposed??

Anyway this was not the place for it...it should never have been proposed in e first place and I'm glad it wasn't built.

Read what the proposed Iman had to say about people who leave Islam

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/818916

So what if it was a "cultural center", which, by the way, was going to open to all to use?

The British Legion thing is still irrelevant.

By your standard, there should be no catholic churches or catholic schools anywhere near sites of IRA atrocities, because apparently those atrocities are somehow tied to the catholic church.

And the imam, who was proposed for all of three weeks, is entitled to his views and thoughts, as are others entitled to critique them and shun him (presumably he was removed because of such criticism?), unless you are proposing that hate speech laws be extended or implemented where they don't exist? Do you think that the Free Presbyterian Church be restricted in the six counties, given the bigotry of their views? Should the huge christian fundamentalist movement in the states be muzzled?

There is much that is objectionable about islam, before you even consider violent jihad, but as long as individuals obey the law, they should be entitled to practice it like every other religious person. I seriously doubt if placing restrictions on religion on account of stone age or even 1950s mores is a road any right winger really wants to start down.

stew

Quote from: foxcommander on December 09, 2015, 03:57:35 AM
Quote from: heganboy on December 09, 2015, 12:23:43 AM
I keep thinking that the Donald has just made *the* mistake that will be the tipping point, but I have been continuously wrong.
At this point, he is the Teflon Don, nothing sticks.
Now he has the US Department of Defense's press secretary saying his statements are "counter to our national security."

QuoteThe Pentagon on Tuesday rebuffed Republican presidential frontrunner Donald Trump's call to ban all Muslims from entering the U.S.

"Anything that creates tensions and creates the notion that the United States is at odds with the Muslim faith and Islam would be counterproductive to our efforts right now, and totally contrary to our values," Pentagon press secretary Peter Cook said.

Asked specifically whether the Pentagon opposed the ban, Cook said, "I'm not going to get into domestic politics."

But, he reiterated, "Anything that tries to challenge American values on this would be certainly something of concern to the Department of Defense, as it would be across the country."
Cook also noted that there were Muslims "serving patriotically in the U.S. military today, as there are people of many faiths."

He also noted that the U.S. was partnering with Muslim nations in the fight against the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria.

"Anything that bolsters ISIL's narrative and pits the United States against the Muslim faith is -- is certainly not only contrary to our values, but contrary to our national security," he added, using an alternate name for the group.

I think its safe to say that if this comment was made by DOD referring to literally any other candidate, their campaign would be over by nightfall. However no bother to the big fella, he will truck along happily at this point to be the Republican nominee, or the independent candidate if the GOP feel they can't keep him under control...

Fascinating stuff- there really has never been anything this mental in US politics at this level in 50 years.

Donald Trump will kick out all the illegal immigrants and give America back to it's people after 8 years of incompetence from president Osama. Why wouldn't you vote for that? The change you were promised was a busted flush.

He's going to be awesome.

He is an arrogant dickhead and will never be President.

My biggest concern with Trump is that he is a complete reactionary and does not have a level head, he has no filter and he is promising shit that is unconstitutional, like blocking Muslims from coming into the country if they have Visas to be here, I get he is appealing to the lowbrow voters but there are not enough of them to carry him to the Presidency.

The people want a strong leader who will take no shit from Muslim extremists, they want a secure border north and south and they want to know Obama is not flooding the nation with Jihadists.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.