USFC Final - Donegal v Monaghan - Sunday 20th July - St. Tiernachs Park Clones

Started by GrandMasterFlash, July 07, 2014, 01:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: J70 on July 20, 2014, 10:49:10 PM
Quote from: sligoman2 on July 20, 2014, 09:29:46 PM
That was a terrible game of football from a neutral spectator point of view, blanket defense, nasty off the ball stuff and terrible shooting by both sides.  I can't see either team going much further to be honest.
I was expecting a much more enjoyable game.

I thought we shot pretty well given the pressure the Monaghan defense was putting on the forwards. I'd have bitten your hand off for a score of 15 points before the match. Beyond that, I'm more than happy to see us dismissed, although if we win our quarter final, we'll be meeting Dublin and will go in as raging underdogs with nothing to lose anyway.
Don't forget, Dublin also have a quarter final.

Bingo

Terrible game to be at. First half was a horror show and both teams played their part. Can't help feel that Monaghans missed frees early on cost them and put them on the back foot early.

McGees marking job on McManus was just unreal. Bar one run up the field early on, he was totally on top of McManus. At one stage, Donegal had the ball and he was stood marked McManus with back to play with no interest in anything else.

Donegal didn't have to vary from their plan during the game, Monaghan had to and didn't come up with the answers. A lot of below bar performances and a lot of turnovers that were down to poor decision making and poor execution.

Goal came as a godsend at the time when Monaghan looked buried. Two chances when begging shortly after it - Dick had the ball and charged through before kicking it long and aimlessly. Then Jap pulled a shot wide when he should have scored. After that Donegal pushed on and I think the targeted to run at Dessie Mone and it paid off, as he either got beat or conceded frees.

Two weeks for Monaghan to regroup and I think they'll be better the next day, losing yesterday shouldn't put them down as it has previously, they have the Ulster medals and the target was always All-Ireland quarter final weekend and that's going to be a hell of an incentive now. The question they have to ask themselves do they want the challenge of taking on Dublin? I'm sure the answer will be yes. 

rrhf

J OGorman

Quote from: Bingo on July 21, 2014, 11:43:21 AM
Terrible game to be at. First half was a horror show and both teams played their part. Can't help feel that Monaghans missed frees early on cost them and put them on the back foot early.

McGees marking job on McManus was just unreal. Bar one run up the field early on, he was totally on top of McManus. At one stage, Donegal had the ball and he was stood marked McManus with back to play with no interest in anything else.

Donegal didn't have to vary from their plan during the game, Monaghan had to and didn't come up with the answers. A lot of below bar performances and a lot of turnovers that were down to poor decision making and poor execution.

Goal came as a godsend at the time when Monaghan looked buried. Two chances when begging shortly after it - Dick had the ball and charged through before kicking it long and aimlessly. Then Jap pulled a shot wide when he should have scored. After that Donegal pushed on and I think the targeted to run at Dessie Mone and it paid off, as he either got beat or conceded frees.

Two weeks for Monaghan to regroup and I think they'll be better the next day, losing yesterday shouldn't put them down as it has previously, they have the Ulster medals and the target was always All-Ireland quarter final weekend and that's going to be a hell of an incentive now. The question they have to ask themselves do they want the challenge of taking on Dublin? I'm sure the answer will be yes.

with the help of a 2/3 sweepers sitting in front

NAG1

Quote from: J OGorman on July 21, 2014, 12:13:32 PM

Do you think Donegal care today, they got the job done and home with the trophy.

J OGorman

Quote from: NAG1 on July 21, 2014, 12:29:40 PM

Do you think Donegal care today, they got the job done and home with the trophy.

I'm sure they dont, didnt think I said otherwise.

Bingo

Yeah, the sweepers were in attendance but with nothing else to watch at times, I found myself following McGee in his duties and he was totally focused. You'd often tell defenders to go tight and not let the forward get a headstart and he thinks he is doing the job by looking at him and pointing towards him when you shout at him. McGee was never more than inchs away, as I said, even when Donegal had possession.

Fuzzman

Whitnail I heard Jimmy is going to Celtic full time anyway after this year.
I can't wait for ye to play Dublin
I think ye can take firm

Maguire01

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 21, 2014, 10:34:51 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 21, 2014, 09:53:06 AM
Quote from: DoireGael on July 21, 2014, 08:16:29 AM
You can't get it on BBC or RTE if your outside of Ireland and I'm fed up paying €10 a game on GAAGO, therefore that's the people that need a link.

Don't be such a tightwad and stop trying to ask people on a GAA forum how to rip off the GAA.

How much do you pay to watch the games...
TV licence fee.

Maguire01

Quote from: DoireGael on July 21, 2014, 10:32:46 AM
You can't get it on BBC or RTE if your outside of Ireland and I'm fed up paying €10 a game on GAAGO, therefore that's the people that need a link.

Don't be such a tightwad and stop trying to ask people on a GAA forum how to rip off the GAA.

I don't know were to start with this one. Is it pumped or stuffed? For those who watch multiple GAA games at the weekend.

Simple Math
3 games this weekend = Paid €30 is it value? Who's doing the ripping off?
UFC Fight Night watched 6 fights for €6
GAAGO, €110 for a year. Why would you pay €10 for every match?

Maguire01

Disappointing result yesterday, but it was on the cards from early on. Few, if any, Monaghan players got the better of their men. For all O'Rourke's tactical class, I can't understand why they persisted for so long with the high ball into the forward line, where one forward had 3-4 defenders on him, or why substitutions were not made at least 15 minutes earlier.

You do have to wonder what difference Lennon could have made in midfield, but that's just the way it goes.

Anyway, well done to Donegal, I think a 3 point defeat flattered us a bit. All is not lost, with 2 weeks to regroup, we're well fit to take Kildare if we play our best. A QF with Dublin could salvage something for 2014.

DoireGael

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 21, 2014, 01:35:03 PM

I don't know were to start with this one. Is it pumped or stuffed? For those who watch multiple GAA games at the weekend.

Simple Math

TV licence + Sky Sports + €110

Sure when you buy it half the games aren't on it, just pops up with this.

"ALERT

YOUR IP ADDRESS TELLS US YOU'RE IN: UK

THIS GAME IS AVAILABLE TO VIEW IN ALL COUNTRIES EXCEPT: Republic of Ireland, UK including Northern Ireland"

Therefore you need Sky Sports & €110 GAAGO....

Zulu

There's a UK package which is €60. You still don't get the Sky games but you haven't paid an extra €50 for games you would never be able to see on GAA GO anyway.

armaghniac

Quote from: DoireGael on July 21, 2014, 04:06:20 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on July 21, 2014, 01:35:03 PM

Simple Math

TV licence + Sky Sports + €110

Sure when you buy it half the games aren't on it, just pops up with this.

"ALERT

YOUR IP ADDRESS TELLS US YOU'RE IN: UK

THIS GAME IS AVAILABLE TO VIEW IN ALL COUNTRIES EXCEPT: Republic of Ireland, UK including Northern Ireland"

Therefore you need Sky Sports & €110 GAAGO....

Sky have to be given priority, not your convenience, you are only a fan.

Am I correct in saying that GAAGo and SKy will have the later games, QFs onwards?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

J70

Quote from: Main Street on July 21, 2014, 10:36:29 AM
Quote from: J70 on July 20, 2014, 10:49:10 PM
Quote from: sligoman2 on July 20, 2014, 09:29:46 PM
That was a terrible game of football from a neutral spectator point of view, blanket defense, nasty off the ball stuff and terrible shooting by both sides.  I can't see either team going much further to be honest.
I was expecting a much more enjoyable game.

I thought we shot pretty well given the pressure the Monaghan defense was putting on the forwards. I'd have bitten your hand off for a score of 15 points before the match. Beyond that, I'm more than happy to see us dismissed, although if we win our quarter final, we'll be meeting Dublin and will go in as raging underdogs with nothing to lose anyway.
Don't forget, Dublin also have a quarter final.

Of course, and if its yourselves, they'll have a very tough game. However, based on what we've seen so far this year, I have serious doubts if Dublin can be beaten (not a profound, insightful opinion, I know!). They just have too many options when things aren't going right. Obviously ourselves and yourselves will pose a different test for them, and will be fascinating to watch should things work out.