Mayo v Tyrone 1989

Started by ONeill, July 02, 2014, 09:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 03, 2014, 07:40:20 PM
Quote from: joemamas on July 03, 2014, 01:57:55 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 03, 2014, 01:18:23 PM
Some things never change.
The forwards on the day were no better than the present crew when it came to scoring from play.
The first one to do so was Killkelly and it was number 10. In fairness to the forwards, the other two points were also scored by forwards and both came from play.
So Horan's men weren't the only ones who found scores hard to come by.
Indeed, going back to the days of John Morley, the backs were always better than the forwards in any era.

Challenge that theory, JOM left John Finn on Dave Barry for the entire game. Barry who was an average footballer was MOM.
Huge mistake
I don't follow you here...
What theory are you challenging?

The fact that Cork's Dave Barry got motm from Mayo's staunch defence, I assume.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

The forwards on the day were no better than the present crew when it came to scoring from play.
The first one to do so was Killkelly and it was number 10. In fairness to the forwards, the other two points were also scored by forwards and both came from play.
Indeed, going back to the days of John Morley, the backs were always better than the forwards in any era.

What about the Ballina pair of Jinkin Joe and Seamie O Dowd :o

And it still takes Ballina to produce the classier forward ;)

whitey

Quote from: Msgr. Horan on July 03, 2014, 04:47:55 PM
As it often pains me to say Leeside, if ye were playing anyone else that day except us, ye would have lost 3 in a row. When Larry's goal went in they were shaken but I think we nearly half thought that was enough, we hadnt disgraced ourselves and we could celebrate on that fact alone. And many did.

When Larry missed the second goal opportunity,  I remember feeling it gave Cork a great lift.

I'm of the opinion that if McHale had just popped it over in the lead up we would have won that game

I think we were level at the time, but we definitely had momentum

(Not a swipe at McHale by any means, I am just a huge believer in taking your points when they're there.

maigheo

I remember Peter Ford saying years later that in the lead up to the game it was drummed into the mayo backs not to foul the Cork attackers and in the training games any hint of a foul was penalized.The result was that the Mayo defense lost there aggression and played behind there men which gave the Cork attackers all the freedom they needed to kick most of there scores from play.Felt sorry for John Finn that day as he was in line for an all star before the game but Dave Barry took care of that.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 03, 2014, 08:09:04 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 03, 2014, 07:40:20 PM
Quote from: joemamas on July 03, 2014, 01:57:55 PM

Challenge that theory, JOM left John Finn on Dave Barry for the entire game. Barry who was an average footballer was MOM.
Huge mistake
I don't follow you here...
What theory are you challenging?

The fact that Cork's Dave Barry got motm from Mayo's staunch defence, I assume.

Dave Barry was a top player. Very clever and very effective without ever looked like he was breaking a sweat. How anybody could describe him as average I don t know. He would have ran Greg Blaney close as regards controlling a match.

Michael Collins was Mayo s best defender on that team (arguably the most complete footballer as well but ignored during his best years) - but wouldn t have started if Frank Noone hadn t got injured in Connacht final. Which was incredible selection when ye think about it. Collins actually made the late run and finished to the net v Ros, when all seemed lost after Tony Macs late penalty agin the run of play, but the ref hauled it up and Fitzmaurice kicked a point for Xtra time. Collins was the boy for either Barry or Thonpkins but we' re talking about Johnno s judgement here ffs. TJ also started at CHB in that final which was some call in itself. The fact that he was heavily bandaged up (if ye don t believe me, watch the old video), after tearing his hamstring outta his hole in training and sent out to mark Larry T is mind boggling.

magpie seanie

Quote from: whitey on July 03, 2014, 10:13:06 PM
As it often pains me to say Leeside, if ye were playing anyone else that day except us, ye would have lost 3 in a row. When Larry's goal went in they were shaken but I think we nearly half thought that was enough, we hadnt disgraced ourselves and we could celebrate on that fact alone. And many did.

When Larry missed the second goal opportunity,  I remember feeling it gave Cork a great lift.

I'm of the opinion that if McHale had just popped it over in the lead up we would have won that game

(Not a swipe at McHale by any means, I am just a huge believer in taking your points when they're there.

When do you think you should try and score a goal?

Owenmoresider

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 04, 2014, 12:56:46 PM

True MS, sure if McGarty had taken the goal when it was on that day then football might never have been invented...

highorlow

QuoteNoel Durcan had some game, was a little underated and had an incredible work rate.

Durkin got an Allstar.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

magpie seanie

Quote from: Owenmoresider on July 04, 2014, 01:33:49 PM

True MS, sure if McGarty had taken the goal when it was on that day then football might never have been invented...

;D

whitey

Momentum had swung big time in Mayos favor at that stage. They had taken the lead, I think for the first time in the game, and they were clearly getting the upper hand out the field.  In that situation I would kick the point all day long rather than going for goal.

In my youth I won a U16 A county championship.  We won our divisional final, county semi final and final without scoring a goal (against very good teams who were expected to beat us I might add) It was drilled into us at that stage....get within 35 yards and you have a clear shot...take it.

Crete Boom

Quote from: moysider on July 03, 2014, 10:04:29 PM

Must have been a severe drought of small underfed club footed forwards from all the south Mayo clubs in the 60's for Mayo to have two Ballina classy forwards on the team. ;D ;D

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Crete Boom on July 04, 2014, 04:06:35 PM

Must have been a severe drought of small underfed club footed forwards from all the south Mayo clubs in the 60's for Mayo to have two Ballina classy forwards on the team. ;D ;D
Maybe they had but Jinking Joe wasn't one of them.
Where does moysider come from anyway?
;D
Joe was and I'm sure still is a proud Ardnaree man. I don't recall him ever playing with any club other than the Sarsfields.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

moysider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 04, 2014, 05:39:45 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on July 04, 2014, 04:06:35 PM

Maybe they had but Jinking Joe wasn't one of them.
Where does moysider come from anyway?
;D
Joe was and I'm sure still is a proud Ardnaree man. I don't recall him ever playing with any club other than the Sarsfields.

Notice I said they were Ballina men and not Stephenite men!
I believe both were born on the cathedral side of the river. As were Peter Quinn and John Ford..
When the cathedral was built it was in Co. Sligo. And Ballaghadrreen was firmly in Co. Mayo.

T Fearon

Yes it was Paul Grimley that filled Lynch in Omagh 1989 with a haymaker to end all haymakers! No wonder he regarded the recent brawl between Armagh and Cavan a mere tiff! ;D

BennyCake

Quote from: T Fearon on July 05, 2014, 03:57:09 PM
Yes it was Paul Grimley that filled Lynch in Omagh 1989 with a haymaker to end all haymakers! No wonder he regarded the recent brawl between Armagh and Cavan a mere tiff! ;D

I'm pretty sure that was Mark or John, T.