Spillane overlooked for kerry manager.

Started by rrhf, July 01, 2014, 10:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dont Matter

Spillane is a bit like Steve Staunton, if he just kept out of the limelight and lived quietly he would have gone down as a bit of legend. Now they're both jokes.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

stew

Quote from: johnneycool on July 02, 2014, 04:36:10 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 02, 2014, 04:21:32 PM
surely as a PE teacher he'd have a background in training teams and coaching?

aye 20 odd years ago maybe, not now.

Spillane is a gobshite and to me has harmed his legacy as one of the all time greats of gaelic games, that said there are plenty of far more qualified and in touch prospects to coach than Spillane down in Gods country.

Finally, Brolly looks down at us all because he can, he knows how to polarize and antagonize people on a level Spillane, on his best day, could never reach!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

manfromdelmonte

why so?

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: rosnarun on July 02, 2014, 03:51:22 PM
Pat Looks more intelligent every week he's on with the brolly bollix.

Ah stop. Did you see last Sunday when Pat was on about "you have to be goal-side of your man as a defender" and when Brolly mentioned that a lot of top defenders "play from the front", Pat was shaking his head saying "no, no.."...Brolly is a sensationalist p***k sometimes, but he is far more in tune with the modern game than Pat is and it gives me no pleasure to say that.

Pat has stated himself previously that he would "not consider himself qualified to train a top Gaelic football team, despite being a PE teacher"..but even as a manager, I wouldn't trust him to articulate a proper vision on the way the game should be played to a county minor or under 21 team..he'd be too much of a "let the ball in long" or "let the ball do the work" merchant I'd fear.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Zulu

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 02, 2014, 04:43:27 PM

why so?

I would imagine anyone who got a degree PE 30 years ago but hasn't maintained contact with developments since would be unqualified to deal with players at an elite level.

Oh and Pat's a clown. He literally has nothing interesting or informative to say and would be a disaster as a county coach. 

screenexile

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on July 02, 2014, 04:48:48 PM

Ah stop. Did you see last Sunday when Pat was on about "you have to be goal-side of your man as a defender" and when Brolly mentioned that a lot of top defenders "play from the front", Pat was shaking his head saying "no, no.."...Brolly is a sensationalist p***k sometimes, but he is far more in tune with the modern game than Pat is and it gives me no pleasure to say that.

Pat has stated himself previously that he would "not consider himself qualified to train a top Gaelic football team, despite being a PE teacher"..but even as a manager, I wouldn't trust him to articulate a proper vision on the way the game should be played to a county minor or under 21 team..he'd be too much of a "let the ball in long" or "let the ball do the work" merchant I'd fear.

I literally could not believe Spillane came out with that goal side nonsense. You have to be in front of your man these days especially when very very few teams use the ball over the top!!!

Any defender worth his salt is 5 yards in front side on where he can keep an eye on the ball and the forward!

AZOffaly

Goal side when the forward has the ball, I presume he meant?

seafoid

He was a superb footballer in his day but he's too prone to brain farting now and he fulfilled his potential as an analyst on TSG which isn't bad going, really. 

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 02, 2014, 04:55:41 PM
Goal side when the forward has the ball, I presume he meant?

No, they were talking about man-marking and how you stop the forward GETTING the ball..Pat was just way off in what he said.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Mike Sheehy

He was right about puke football though and he is a mighty man to wind up the Nordies. On that basis alone he provides a critical service to the nation.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on July 02, 2014, 04:48:48 PM

You have nabbed the two favourite lines of Pateen! He churns these out week in week out. For me the biggest turn off of Pat s that he writes for the Sunday World. You lose all credit when you write for a rag like that!

Ohtoohtobe

Also very embarrassing when Pat insisted that Rory Hickey in Kildare v Meath didn't play advantage and therefore shouldn't have awarded the penalty even as the footage showed Hickey making the sign for advantage after the foul took place. Cringeworthy.

stew

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 02, 2014, 08:03:16 PM
He was right about puke football though and he is a mighty man to wind up the Nordies. On that basis alone he provides a critical service to the nation.

Really? is that what you really think?? Brolly has wound up more nordies that that idiot ever could should he live two lifetimes! He is simply a maggot trying to live on crumbs thrown him by his peers, a simpleton pundit with no skills except to attract similar, like minded trolls, a bit like Wullie Frazier really!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.