Down v Leitrim Sun 29th June 2pm

Started by PAULD123, June 24, 2014, 12:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Rover

Man from Down, any reason for not starting Kevin McKernan and Niall Madine in your team ?

Shamrock Shore

I hope Leitrim can spring a surprise here.

Longford played Down in R1 of the AIQs in 2010 (the year Down lost to Cork in the final) on a wet evening in Newry and came close(ish) to an upset.

I seem to recall Down got a soft pinnilty that in no small way was a huge reason why Down won in the end.

So if Leitrim take heat from Longford's exploits then as well as our fine win last Sat, well who knows.

I certainly will be cheering for them. If they can avoid silly challenges (black cards) and turn possession into scores then they are in with a shout.

A man from Down

Quote from: Mourne Rover on June 24, 2014, 02:54:10 PM
Man from Down, any reason for not starting Kevin McKernan and Niall Madine in your team ?

Your quite right Mourne Rover, how could I forget about McKernan?? Hands up, I completely forgot about him. He would definitely be in, pobably for Maginn or Turley. As for Madine, I simply put Ambrose in there instead but Madine still has a big future ahead of him. Rooney is another I did'nt include, going for Johnston and O'Hagan instead.

Its just as well I'm not in management.

5 Sams

Lads the thread title is misleading. Is this game not on Sunday at 2pm now??
The Aristocrat Years

whitegoodman

I would say there will only be a few changes from the Tyrone game, O Hagan for Boyle and AN Other for Johnston.  That AN other could be anyone from Benny, Ambrose, Turley or someone completely unexpected such as Conor Toner or Jamie O Reilly.  James likes to throw in the odd surprise now and again.

PAULD123

Quote from: 5 Sams on June 24, 2014, 05:33:03 PM

When was the fixture changed? And why?

anyway I have changed the title of the thread to not mislead, thanks for the head's up

Syferus

Quote from: PAULD123 on June 25, 2014, 10:58:52 AM
Quote from: 5 Sams on June 24, 2014, 05:33:03 PM

When was the fixture changed? And why?

anyway I have changed the title of the thread to not mislead, thanks for the head's up

Leitrim are playing us in the Connacht MFC SF on Saturday.

redandblackareback

Sunday Down will win by 6 points plus, defence will remain similiar with possibly O Hagan coming in, midfield i would stick with mc kernan and possibly turley but I would like to us play with at least 5 forwards up and kick the ball in more, would like to see a forward line of Maginn, Poland, Ambrose, Conor Lav, Madine and Benny, let Lav come out and leave the two big men inside, two great targets, outside of his free kicks which were very poor v Tyrone what did O Hare contribute? I would bring him and Jerome on when the game gets stretched and he doesnt have problems winning his own ball then.

whitegoodman

Ohare will start
Can't see Jerome being in the squad
Benny's days on the edge of the square are over IMO

redandblackareback

Quote from: whitegoodman on June 25, 2014, 01:36:44 PM
Ohare will start
Can't see Jerome being in the squad
Benny's days on the edge of the square are over IMO

Why?

whitegoodman

Him and his brother are away in Magaluf and are only back on Friday or Saturday and cant see them being ready to play championship football one to two days later.  Apart from that I cant see this going down too well within the squad or amongst the management team, Jerome Snr excluded.

PAULD123

I agree that perhaps Donal O'hare hasn't contributed enough in open play and maybe a replacement should be considered. However he is our free taker and it would be crazy to replace him without adequately accounting for that. So if Donal O'hare is dropped then surely Paul Devlin pretty much must play so that we still have a quality free taker on the pitch.

larryin89

Leitrim +10 pts at 5/6 , accumulator addition for sure.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Brick Tamlin

Quote from: PAULD123 on June 26, 2014, 12:21:34 PM
I agree that perhaps Donal O'hare hasn't contributed enough in open play and maybe a replacement should be considered. However he is our free taker and it would be crazy to replace him without adequately accounting for that. So if Donal O'hare is dropped then surely Paul Devlin pretty much must play so that we still have a quality free taker on the pitch.

Paul Devlin is in Magaluf with the Johnsons. He wont figure sunday either.
I expect to see a few new(ish) faces sunday.

PAULD123

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on June 26, 2014, 12:52:34 PM
Quote from: PAULD123 on June 26, 2014, 12:21:34 PM

Paul Devlin is in Magaluf with the Johnsons. He wont figure sunday either.
I expect to see a few new(ish) faces sunday.

Ah Yeah, I didn't really mean him to be switched with Donal for this coming match. I was highlighting that the option proposed didn't include  a free taker. If Donal O'Hare is dropped then there must be a free taker on the pitch and that would then probably be Paul Devlin (obviously who would have to be available)