Maigh Eo v Gaillimh, 2pm, 13ú Iúil, Pairc Mhic Eil

Started by macdanger2, June 22, 2014, 12:46:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohtoohtobe

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 13, 2014, 04:27:04 PM
Well we learned f**k all today

Your team achieves something not done since the 50s and that's what you take from it? You must be some crack at parties.

Msgr. Horan

Quote from: Syferus on July 13, 2014, 09:38:29 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 13, 2014, 09:22:03 PM
But didn't Breheny et al say it was all about him?

Wasn't he jig-acting and jive-talkin' about Galway being the biggest threat to Mayo's four-in-a-row this week? You get better analysis from drunk Hogan Stand posters.
In fairness both he and Eugene McGee have been robbing a living since 1994 or thereabouts

Moran and Dillon as starting forwards are now a luxury we cant afford. Dillo is a legend of the game but it doesnt serve anyone, least of all the player himself for him to be starting. Bring him on with 20 to go and he will make defenders have to think again and is always good for a couple of points

Canalman

Was surprised to read at the weekend that Mayo have more Connacht titles than Galway. Always assumed Galway were way ahead.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Canalman on July 14, 2014, 10:17:58 AM
Was surprised to read at the weekend that Mayo have more Connacht titles than Galway. Always assumed Galway were way ahead.

Nope. In the first half of last century we were winning Connachts to bate the band. With only 3 All Irelands it's easy to assume Galway would be way ahead seen as they've 9.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on July 14, 2014, 03:29:37 AM

Your team achieves something not done since the 50s and that's what you take from it? You must be some crack at parties.

I am, mighty craic altogether

I dont think I said it wasnt a great achievement but let me look back at it

Oh ya thats right I said we learned f**k all

As a Mayo team we learned f**k all, our backs are decent, although can be left one on one at times, today barrett roasted that young lad, against a better class of corner forward he could be in trouble although he is a class act.
The only new thing is that O'Shea is a possibility at CHF.

As for Walsh being Galways best forward I would disagree, he was hyped out the gate before the game and didnt perform, I know hes only 20 and he might score a million points at some date in the future, I'll comment on that one when it happens. Yesterday he was poor.
Conroy was dangerous and by far galways best player

For me the game was over after 10-15 minutes and after that it was tit for tat between points and goals without ever really looking like anything was going to change
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 14, 2014, 11:18:37 AM
Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on July 14, 2014, 03:29:37 AM

I am, mighty craic altogether

I dont think I said it wasnt a great achievement but let me look back at it

Oh ya thats right I said we learned f**k all

As a Mayo team we learned f**k all, our backs are decent, although can be left one on one at times, today barrett roasted that young lad, against a better class of corner forward he could be in trouble although he is a class act.

I actually thought Cummins was causing Barrett a lot of bother (think Barrett was marking him wasn't he?). He was winning ball and turning him constantly. The only problem was he couldn't finish. Scored 0-1 I think when it could easily have been 0-4 or 0-5 had he brought his shooting boots with him. Some of his wides were sitters.

Mayo4Sam

I was down on Barretts side for the first half, thought he won any 50-50s and anytime Cummins had it he wrapped him up and put so much pressure on him that he kicked it away or coughed up possession to him.
I was very impressed with Barrett
Second half was harder for me to see

Msgr. Horan

That'd be that media bias again, Galway are the darlings of the press with their fancy dan ways :) Imagine if Mayo hadnt won a game in Croker since 2001, Eugene and Martin would be setting their clocks to write two insightful "specials" a year on the failure of Mayo football.
Having said that, that last match they won was the one that counted in fairness, so unfortunately, while everyone does recognize the achievement of yesterday with 4 provincial crowns in a row (even if we were all saying beforehand "doesntmatteradamn"), until we manage to win the big one again, the incorrect and inaccurate statements about "Mayo choking in Croker Park" will continue to be made and theres only one way to stop it.

Mayo4Sam

Also, Rory Hickey, WTF, wasnt too bad in the first half but just some down right bizarre decisions in the second and I have to say we got the better of his randomness

Maroon Manc

I was very disappointed once again, we conceded 3 goals and it should have been 5. Far too open yet again. Can't recall us creating any genuine goal chance,

Individually we did ok, collectively we were a disappointment and I put that down to Mulholland. In parts the players knew what was required to beat Mayo but there was no system in place to give them a realistic chance of doing so.

Mulholland is clearly not learning quick enough, hopefully we'll beat Tipp. I'm very worried about the potential game against Kerry, O'Donoghue will have a field day.

On the plus side we kicked 16 points and should have been 20+. Conroy kicked 4 points from play, Walsh did well, FOC & Flynn will have learnt a lot from the game. Cummins could have easily scored 5 points, 3 of his wides were dreadful. I was disappointed with the amount of daft ball that went into the full forward line, too much of hope for the best.

seafoid

Galway have a better SCR (Sam conversion rate ).
The tragedy of mayo football.  Very like the Galway hurlers.
Can`t win the big prize at the first attempt.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 14, 2014, 12:59:09 PM
I was very disappointed once again, we conceded 3 goals and it should have been 5. Far too open yet again. Can't recall us creating any genuine goal chance,

Walsh rattled the crossbar. Conroy shot just over the bar when he could have gone for goal not long after. Walsh had his pen saved. Think there was an opportunity in the first half where one more handpass would have created a one on one with the keeper but it was messed up. They nearly all came from individual play though rather than from any team build-up.

From a Mayo perspective that would be the main concern I would imagine. Galway scored 0-16 and it could easily have been 1-20 or 1-21. I dread to think what Dublin could have scored against both sides yesterday. They would probably have put 6 goals past us for a start.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 14, 2014, 01:15:29 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 14, 2014, 12:59:09 PM

Walsh rattled the crossbar. Conroy shot just over the bar when he could have gone for goal not long after. Walsh had his pen saved. Think there was an opportunity in the first half where one more handpass would have created a one on one with the keeper but it was messed up. They nearly all came from individual play though rather than from any team build-up.

From a Mayo perspective that would be the main concern I would imagine. Galway scored 0-16 and it could easily have been 1-20 or 1-21. I dread to think what Dublin could have scored against both sides yesterday. They would probably have put 6 goals past us for a start.

But none of them were great goals chances though, they were half chances compared to the chances Mayo created. I do agree we should have easily hit 20 points +, we hit some dreadful wides.

From the Bunker

Tipperary will be a serious test for Galway. With Galways back door record this is a fixture laced with fear for them. Should they overcome that they then have to deal with their recent Croke Park record against a improving Kerry side. I find it hard to believe how Galway football has struggled the last dozen years. Part of it seems to be the failure to address how the game has moved on since Armagh won the AI in 2002. Mulholland seems to think that playing with an open style will get you there. This is either a lazy attitude (as it takes allot of discipline and work to set yourself up to be hard to beat) or he just does not have the necessary tactical skills.

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 14, 2014, 01:49:27 PM
Tipperary will be a serious test for Galway. With Galways back door record this is a fixture laced with fear for them. Should they overcome that they then have to deal with their recent Croke Park record against a improving Kerry side. I find it hard to believe how Galway football has struggled the last dozen years. Part of it seems to be the failure to address how the game has moved on since Armagh won the AI in 2002. Mulholland seems to think that playing with an open style will get you there. This is either a lazy attitude (as it takes allot of discipline and work to set yourself up to be hard to beat) or he just does not have the necessary tactical skills.
Ask the meath or armagh lads how 12 years are wasted.
Sometimes you just don't have the players or the hunger.
It's good to give other teams a turn as well.    :)