8. Fiontán O'Curraoin
9. Thomas Flynn
10. Michael Lundy
11. Shane Walsh
12. Damien Comer
13. Paul Conroy
14. Eddie Hoare
15. Danny Cummins

For a second there I thought 15 different clubs were represented but it's 14.

Much as expected I d say. The ff line the tricky bit for me.

I ve never known what to make of Conroy. Footballer obviously but not sure what to do with him.

He's a midfielder really. He's played his best football for Galway from midfield both and underage at at senior. Nominated for all All-Star last year in midfield. Apart from the Mayo game he was pretty much fantastic in all the other games. Galway would have lost to both Tipp and Waterford only for him.

Problem is with 2 young midfielders coming through there isn't a place there for him while they are both fit. Those two have a great understanding having played with each other for years. At the same time he's probably too good to leave on the bench so they have to try and fit him in somewhere.

macdanger2

Quote from: moysider on July 11, 2014, 12:19:32 AM

This selection would indicate to me that some senior players and maybe others had a word with management after the Ros. game. The Ros. selection did not make sense and this team is not a development from that. It s like the game in The Hyde was an indulgence. I cant see how that match would have brought on the younger O Sés and O Connors.

I wouldn't be surprised to see young O'Connor getting game time on Sunday. I think Horan was right to experiment a little bit in the Roscommon game, if not in that match, then when would he have? Unfortunately, the type of game played by Roscommon was conducive to debutants.

Personally I would have only started with one of Andy / Dillon, I think the forward line as a whole lacks pace - Andy / Dillon / AOS are all fairly slow.

The whole situation surrounding Adam G is baffling, was very hopeful when I saw him at the start of the league that he would be a championship starter, he looks like a natural.

Msgr. Horan

If there is a concern about JH's time it would be that no young kid has been developed. Dublin have had their Mannions, McCafferties and Costellos. All innocent but quality. Horan has put his trust in the older lads and he is going to sink or swim with them now. And that is fair enough imo. But I doubt it will be good enough if we get into last 4 never mind next Sunday. This selection would indicate to me that some senior players and maybe others had a word with management after the Ros. game. The Ros. selection did not make sense and this team is not a development from that. It s like the game in The Hyde was an indulgence. I cant see how that match would have brought on the younger O Sés and O Connors.
I dont think that is JH's fault, I know theres an ongoing debate about Even Regan but whatever the reasons there, and I can only presume they are good ones, the problem has been there hasnt been any young fellas really up for it. The two he had on the last day, probably have it. Cian Hanley, Tommy Conroy and a couple of others from the current minor team might as well, but they are for the future. JH has bemoaned the fact that not enough U-21s have been putting their hands up during his tenure, if they were there I'd say he would be playing them. Its very difficult to make it as a senior IC player, think of all the attributes generally required:
- Skill (obviously)
- Strength and stamina, there are plenty of good young fellas who because of their body types dont really respond well to the S&C programs required for IC standard. They might have the skill but then fall down here. Either they end up getting injured or just dont make the gains required and fall off the pace and cant make it up. That could be improved by getting to them younger, but even looking at something like professional soccer there are plenty of dazzling 14 year olds in academies who never make the cut either despite daily intervention and programs
- Attitude, some players dont have the discipline required to follow the diet and training programs required.
Temperament - Some also cant handle the pressure of playing in a big game. You can see that even at minor level, some fellas thrive in a big game environment, some wilt away. That can be changed and learned, but there are very few third and fourth chances. If you dont have it or learn it quick then your chance could be gone
Luck and selections - very difficult for some positions because either its your bad luck that there is an abundance of talent already in that position and you cant play your way in or you just run into some bad luck
-

macdanger2

I presume Boyler will pick up Shane Walsh.

Will Conroy go out to midfield?? It'll be awfully crowded out there with 6 big men around. If he does, I presume Keith would follow him out and effectively play at in the half forward line?

If he stays inside Caff will pick him up.

moysider

If he stays inside Galway will have a considerable size advantage with himself and Hoare.

galwayman

Hoare came out around the middle for a good portion of the Sligo game.
It's hard to see us getting much change from that Mayo defence.
It has a very solid look to it albeit Cunniffe is a big loss as he is a very tight corner back.

Syferus

Quote from: galwayman on July 11, 2014, 04:11:37 PM
Hoare came out around the middle for a good portion of the Sligo game.
It's hard to see us getting much change from that Mayo defence.
It has a very solid look to it albeit Cunniffe is a big loss as he is a very tight corner back.

Eeeeeeh. With Barrett, Higgins and Cunniffe all fit and all in contention for CB spots (rather than moving the Ballyhaunis ladeen to every position from 5-12) I'd say Barrett and Higgins are the best two CBs Mayo have.

The one plus that change may give Galway is that with Barrett's injury this year he mightn't be ready for the white heat of a Connacht final.

moysider

Quote from: Msgr. Horan on July 11, 2014, 10:16:41 AM

If there is a concern about JH's time it would be that no young kid has been developed. Dublin have had their Mannions, McCafferties and Costellos. All innocent but quality. Horan has put his trust in the older lads and he is going to sink or swim with them now. And that is fair enough imo. But I doubt it will be good enough if we get into last 4 never mind next Sunday. This selection would indicate to me that some senior players and maybe others had a word with management after the Ros. game. The Ros. selection did not make sense and this team is not a development from that. It s like the game in The Hyde was an indulgence. I cant see how that match would have brought on the younger O Sés and O Connors.
I dont think that is JH's fault, I know theres an ongoing debate about Even Regan but whatever the reasons there, and I can only presume they are good ones, the problem has been there hasnt been any young fellas really up for it. The two he had on the last day, probably have it. Cian Hanley, Tommy Conroy and a couple of others from the current minor team might as well, but they are for the future. JH has bemoaned the fact that not enough U-21s have been putting their hands up during his tenure, if they were there I'd say he would be playing them. Its very difficult to make it as a senior IC player, think of all the attributes generally required:
- Skill (obviously)
- Strength and stamina, there are plenty of good young fellas who because of their body types dont really respond well to the S&C programs required for IC standard. They might have the skill but then fall down here. Either they end up getting injured or just dont make the gains required and fall off the pace and cant make it up. That could be improved by getting to them younger, but even looking at something like professional soccer there are plenty of dazzling 14 year olds in academies who never make the cut either despite daily intervention and programs
- Attitude, some players dont have the discipline required to follow the diet and training programs required.
Temperament - Some also cant handle the pressure of playing in a big game. You can see that even at minor level, some fellas thrive in a big game environment, some wilt away. That can be changed and learned, but there are very few third and fourth chances. If you dont have it or learn it quick then your chance could be gone
Luck and selections - very difficult for some positions because either its your bad luck that there is an abundance of talent already in that position and you cant play your way in or you just run into some bad luck
-

You re joking right?

Patrick Durkin? Adam Gallagher? Stephen Coen?

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on July 11, 2014, 11:47:35 PM
Quote from: Msgr. Horan on July 11, 2014, 10:16:41 AM

- Skill (obviously)
-

You re joking right?

Patrick Durkin? Adam Gallagher? Stephen Coen?

Where does Danny Kirby sit on Alan Dillon to Evan Regan scale with Horan? Certainly looked worthy of county time on multiple occasions.

seafoid

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/mayo-town-backing-argentina-in-world-cup-final-1.1864757

"We've also got Mayo playing against Galway in the Connacht football final in McHale Park in Castlebar tomorrow, preceded by Mayo minors against Roscommon, so it's going to be a great day for roaring all round,"he adds.

Maroon Manc

I'm pleased he's dropped Martin and great to see Moore back fit again.

I'm happy with the team picked now we'll wait to see if Mulholland can get it right tactically.

Farrandeelin

Any predictions from anyone? I'll get the ball rolling...

Mayo 1-15 Galway 2-11
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 12, 2014, 08:13:46 PM

Mayo 1-15 Galway 2-11

Mayo by 8-12 points if Mulholland isn't BSing.

If he isn't and Galway play compactly they can give Mayo a scare but they still won't win.

muppet

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 12, 2014, 08:13:46 PM

Mayo 1-15 Galway 2-11

Good man Farr, if you are optimistic then it is at least 5 points for me!
MWWSI 2017