Maigh Eo v Gaillimh, 2pm, 13ú Iúil, Pairc Mhic Eil

Started by macdanger2, June 22, 2014, 12:46:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maigheo

Jeez Moysider why are you dredging up 82 in Tuam.Remember rushing down from Dublin that morning after playing a game and getting in with 15 min gone and of course the game already over.And of course the slow journey back to Dublin after and I believe we did not mention the game once .I think the world cup final was on that evening.Surprised at Mchale wanting to put Aido in FF after the nightmares he went thro playing there himself.My biggest memory is of him is  in the 1997 final where he started in at FF and of all the low balls being played in to him and of course Barry o Shea cleaned up.We tryed 0 Shea in FF for the last 10 min of the !2 final and Donegal were able to defend him so easily.I think a lot of people get fooled in to thinking a big lad in FF will work based on the bomber Liston but what most people forget is Liston was an unbelievable athlete and was very quick over 5 or 10 yards and had very good ball skills.He wasn't just a big man only able to catch a ball.

bucko

Quote from: maigheo on July 09, 2014, 01:21:53 AM
Jeez Moysider why are you dredging up 82 in Tuam.Remember rushing down from Dublin that morning after playing a game and getting in with 15 min gone and of course the game already over.And of course the slow journey back to Dublin after and I believe we did not mention the game once .I think the world cup final was on that evening.Surprised at Mchale wanting to put Aido in FF after the nightmares he went thro playing there himself.My biggest memory is of him is  in the 1997 final where he started in at FF and of all the low balls being played in to him and of course Barry o Shea cleaned up.We tryed 0 Shea in FF for the last 10 min of the !2 final and Donegal were able to defend him so easily.I think a lot of people get fooled in to thinking a big lad in FF will work based on the bomber Liston but what most people forget is Liston was an unbelievable athlete and was very quick over 5 or 10 yards and had very good ball skills.He wasn't just a big man only able to catch a ball.
Similar in the 97 semi v Offaly, even tho we won MacHale was in FF and just as ineffective. Same thing, low ball going into him. We are a great county for putting low ball into big men and high ball on top of small men. AOS at FF has been tried before and will be a waste time doing so again. As the last 12-24 months have shown we are incapable of consistently delivering decent quality, long ball into our FF line.

macdanger2

bucko

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 09, 2014, 10:27:58 PM
Any chance of a team being named tonight?
Think I saw a FB post or tweet from Mayo GAA that it'll be named at 1pm tomorrow.

moysider

Mulholland today - not sure was it in the Indo? - kinda rejected any suggestion that they would set defensively up like Ros did. I expect that Galway will go toe to toe after reading that. How could it be any other way when you think about it?
It may be a ruse but I doubt it. Mulholland is cut from the old cloth. He d prefer a shootout in the old tradition than get negative imo. He s come from a culture where Galway believed they could beat Mayo straight up and Mayo would have felt the same. Or at least it seems that way? If he is 100% it looks like it will be another while before Galway abandon their nobal tradition - and even now they would be the last to do so.
I was a bit surprises by his candour tbh. He suggested that his players had diferent qualities than Ros and Galways strengh was winning possession and taking the game to the opposition. I respect that.  And I believe he means that. Makes for an interesting match. I m expecting a huge positive approach from Galway now. If they nail it and we re still weedy we re going to be in big trouble.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on July 10, 2014, 01:03:35 AM

Mulholland today - not sure was it in the Indo? - kinda rejected any suggestion that they would set defensively up like Ros did. I expect that Galway will go toe to toe after reading that. How could it be any other way when you think about it?
It may be a ruse but I doubt it. Mulholland is cut from the old cloth. He d prefer a shootout in the old tradition than get negative imo. He s come from a culture where Galway believed they could beat Mayo straight up and Mayo would have felt the same. Or at least it seems that way? If he is 100% it looks like it will be another while before Galway abandon their nobal tradition - and even now they would be the last to do so.
I was a bit surprises by his candour tbh. He suggested that his players had diferent qualities than Ros and Galways strengh was winning possession and taking the game to the opposition. I respect that.  And I believe he means that. Makes for an interesting match. I m expecting a huge positive approach from Galway now. If they nail it and we re still weedy we re going to be in big trouble.

The fúck? I wouldn't want Galway's forwards over our's on any day of the week. FOC and Flynn are still very unproven at senior and winning eight uncontested balls against a non-existent Sligo midfield doesn't make you good at winning possession.

If Mulholland isn't playing silly beggars he may as well start packing up because he'll be chased out of the job in the Autumn. You can respect it if you want Moy but it is simply laughable arrogance and idiocy if true.

Mayo will drive Galway deep into McHale's expensive foundations if they set up to 'give a go' like some sort of rejected Roy of the Rovers script. Galway are a team that barely avoided relegation to D3. Mayo are a team odds-on to complete the first Connacht four-in-a-row since 1980.

GalwayBayBoy

Didn't see anything from Mulholland in the papers but Keith Higgins seems to agree with him anyway.

QuoteFollowing on from last year's 17-point hammering to Mayo, the obvious tactic for Galway would be to try and replicate that Roscommon defensive line and frustrate the life out of Mayo.

But according to Higgins it would almost be against the sporting religion of the Tribesmen to line up as such.

"I could be completely wrong, but traditionally Galway just don't do that; they're a footballing side. They didn't seem to do it against Sligo because they are a very footballing side.

"If you put yourself in Galway's shoes and if you had got a hiding like that last year you would be coming out trying to rectify that.

"So I wouldn't expect them to do it, but they could come out there the next day and throw a bombshell out there and go 13 men behind the ball, so if something like that happens it depends on how you react.

GalwayBayBoy

Actually found what Mulholland said. It was in the Star.

QuoteMulholland has noted how the Rossies' defensive approach frustrated the champions and, considering they fell to an embarrassing 17-point defeat to their arch rivals 12 months ago, accepts his team will have to play it smart.

"You look at the players you have at your disposal and you look at what suits them," Mulholland explained to the Irish Daily Star.

"We might have different styles of players to what Roscommon might have so maybe that won't suit us to play a lot of men in defence. It did give us all a bit of hope!

"We are not going to do exactly what they did, we like to have the ball and attack so we're not going to knock that out of players. That's our strength so we need to play to our strengths.

"Roscommon got so close to them and only lost by a point in the end and they were very clever that day. They managed the game well and really could have turned them over in the end.

"We'd be hoping we can do something similar, keep it tight, and hopefully in the last 15 or 20 minutes we might still be in with a shout."

Syferus

So, then, how do you feel about it GBB? I have a feeling Galway supporters are just like every group of supporters in the country and value winning ugly more than being pretty in losing. Who exactly is commanding him to uphold this 'tradition', then?

Lar Naparka

I've been told on good authority I hope, that this will be the starting Mayo fifteen.
Anyone else heard anything?
Rob Hennelly
Chris Barrett
Ger Cafferkey
Keith Higgins
Lee Keegan
Colm Boyle
Donie Vaughan
Barry Moran
Seamus O Shea
Kevin McLoughlin
Aidan O Shea
Jason Doc
Alan Dillon
Andy Moran
Cillian O Connor
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Syferus

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 10, 2014, 01:36:26 AM
I've been told on good authority I hope, that this will be the starting Mayo fifteen.
Rob Hennelly
Chris Barrett
Ger Cafferkey
Keith Higgins
Lee Keegan
Colm Boyle
Donie Vaughan
Barry Moran
Seamus O Shea
Kevin McLoughlin
Aidan O Shea
Jason Doc
Alan Dillon
Andy Moran
Cillian O Connor

AOS is a little bit too cumbersome to manage a tricky CHB. I'd say Barry Moran would be a better 11 in a lot of ways. Still looks to be a very dangerous line-up and man-for-man the best team Mayo would have named in championship football since before Andy Moran's injury in 2012.

Gibbons has had a good year but to be honest Barry Moran's class and experience at this level has always put him ahead of Gibbons for me when fit. Barrett for Cunniffe is a wash and Barrett offers more going forward.

About the only change that could make that line-up stronger would be swapping Doherty for Feeney but that's probably asking too much of Horan.

MusclesMagoo

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 10, 2014, 01:36:26 AM
Rob Hennelly
Chris Barrett
Ger Cafferkey
Keith Higgins
Lee Keegan
Colm Boyle
Donie Vaughan
Barry Moran
Seamus O Shea
Kevin McLoughlin
Aidan O Shea
Jason Doc
Alan Dillon
Andy Moran
Cillian O Connor

Heard that team as well last night Lar.

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on July 10, 2014, 01:33:07 AM
So, then, how do you feel about it GBB? I have a feeling Galway supporters are just like every group of supporters in the country and value winning ugly more than being pretty in losing. Who exactly is commanding him to uphold this 'tradition', then?

I don't think they'd be happy playing Donegal 2011 style.
Tradition is going up to Dublin and winning all Irelands.
Losing in a year with a mediocre team isn't such a big deal. 
Losing by a point wouldn't be talked about for weeks.

galwayman

If we won by a point playing with 15 men in our own half for most of the game - I'd take it in a heartbeat!

Mano

I wouldn't believe that nonsense. Bradshaw was sweeping in front of the Sligo full forward line the last day in the first half and they got plenty men behind the ball in the second half on the rare occasions Sligo got into their half of the field.