Maigh Eo v Gaillimh, 2pm, 13ú Iúil, Pairc Mhic Eil

Started by macdanger2, June 22, 2014, 12:46:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 28, 2014, 11:56:20 AM
Quote from: DJGaliv on June 27, 2014, 03:42:58 PM
It shows you how far Galway have fallen that all Mayo's concerns are about themselves (the make up and use of their squad for tougher tests ahead) and absolutely none are about any perceived threat from Galway.

To be honest I don't blame them. I would be happy if we could offer up some sort of test this year, and keep it within 5 or 6 points.

FWIW, I reckon Galway could do us. We need to 'learn from our mistakes'. How often have I heard that shaggin' phrase used in the last 2 years!

It's much more about Galway learning from their mistakes.

DJGaliv

People are making the observation on Galway that we have a fair few average footballers that are workhorses. The likes of Lundy, Comer, Hoare. To be honest with you, the inclusion of these lads with a bit of balls about them ahead of other perhaps more stylish looking footballers is the reason I feel we have turned a corner.

Lets not get carried away, turning a corner doesn't mean that it's 1998 all over again. Moreso it means that we have got to the root of our problems and that it was all fur coat and no knickers.

We stopped realising that you need to win the battle first before you can win the game. The winning of breaking ball and defensive solidity need to be laid down first before any fancy dan play is added on top.

If we can return to the days of a top 8 county and over the next few years sneak a Connacht title and a promotion charge to division one then I'll be happy.

moysider

Not a bad place to be.

Last 8 of the minor.

Connacht senior final. If we lose, we re still alive. When ye think about it, the much maligned JH has never got/needed a second chance with a championship team.

Manning18

Big job for Mulholland in the next couple of weeks. There should be as little pressure as possible on the Galway players shoulders heading into Castlebar. While a Connacht title would be amazing, real progress for this side is getting to an AI QF in Croker. Their most likely rote to that position by far is through the qualifiers, where at the very worst they'll be small outsiders against the toughest opposition they can get - Laois.

For this reason, the game in 2 weeks should be viewed as bonus territory. Give everything to win no question, but in the event of a loss (likely) there should be no player downbeat. Their biggest game of the year will still be ahead of them. Worst case scenario is a heartbraking loss to Mayo (Hammering or 1 point), and they go into the qualifier on a low ebb. This is where Mulholland must show his worth. Two cracks at the cherry

moysider

Quote from: Manning18 on June 29, 2014, 12:50:24 AM
Big job for Mulholland in the next couple of weeks. There should be as little pressure as possible on the Galway players shoulders heading into Castlebar. While a Connacht title would be amazing, real progress for this side is getting to an AI QF in Croker. Their most likely rote to that position by far is through the qualifiers, where at the very worst they'll be small outsiders against the toughest opposition they can get - Laois.

For this reason, the game in 2 weeks should be viewed as bonus territory. Give everything to win no question, but in the event of a loss (likely) there should be no player downbeat. Their biggest game of the year will still be ahead of them. Worst case scenario is a heartbraking loss to Mayo (Hammering or 1 point), and they go into the qualifier on a low ebb. This is where Mulholland must show his worth. Two cracks at the cherry

Yip. Both teams have a safety net here. Like we d like to do 4 in a row but lose it and we d might get a more sympathetic game after?

Manning18

Quote from: moysider on June 29, 2014, 01:08:08 AM

Yip. Both teams have a safety net here. Like we d like to do 4 in a row but lose it and we d might get a more sympathetic game after?

I'd be big into my betting/pricing etc and if Mayo we're beaten by Galway in 2 weeks, I certainly wouldnt be pushing out their AI price by much. It could serve as a wake up call, and the extra game (where mayo would be hot favs) could serve up a bit of momentum goin into the QF's. Either way, if both these sides make the QF, they'll be playing Cork or Kerry likely. Connacht winners vs Munster losers and visa versa. So provided the loser can get through the qualifier, winning the Connacht final mighnt serve any advatage at all, bar a Nestor cup at home

larryin89

No no no,I want four in a row.

I know what you're saying, it's neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things but i beg to differ , it would take the sting out of momentum for Mayo goin into august weekend. We are used to route one and route one only, it has stood to us . No matter what people say about Donegal last year and down the year before that and even cork in11 , we have been superb in quaters with Nestor under our oxter.

I'm not gettin carried away all of a sudden but we have to believe this team is been primed for aug weekend and it's been planned that way , what happens after that will be the testers, Cork then Kerry or visa versa, what better way to test if you've got wht it takes.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Farrandeelin

Thankfully, we've seemed to have gotten the oul' arguing amongst ourselves over with. It's just a pity Mayo have 5 weeks since they played Roscommon and this game. Galway have 3. It's a pity it wasn't on this Sunday.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 30, 2014, 09:43:43 PM
Thankfully, we've seemed to have gotten the oul' arguing amongst ourselves over with. It's just a pity Mayo have 5 weeks since they played Roscommon and this game. Galway have 3. It's a pity it wasn't on this Sunday.

It s only a temporary respite ;)

bucko

Quote from: moysider on June 30, 2014, 09:48:35 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 30, 2014, 09:43:43 PM

It s only a temporary respite ;)
http://youtu.be/pUC0LCi1VRk

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Manning18 on June 29, 2014, 01:14:58 AM

I'd be big into my betting/pricing etc and if Mayo we're beaten by Galway in 2 weeks, I certainly wouldnt be pushing out their AI price by much. It could serve as a wake up call, and the extra game (where mayo would be hot favs) could serve up a bit of momentum goin into the QF's. Either way, if both these sides make the QF, they'll be playing Cork or Kerry likely. Connacht winners vs Munster losers and visa versa. So provided the loser can get through the qualifier, winning the Connacht final mighnt serve any advatage at all, bar a Nestor cup at home

Is the Qf draw not an open one? Four winners on one side, qualifiers on the other?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Syferus

With the Ros minors on the bill it should add a few more thousand to the attendance. The Prenty dream final.

Manning18

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on June 30, 2014, 11:14:03 PM

Is the Qf draw not an open one? Four winners on one side, qualifiers on the other?

Nah, structured. Even the semi's are structured so that ye're meeting the winners of the other Munster vs Connacht QF.Potentially there could be a repeat of the connacht final in the semis!! Much more likely is a Mayo vs Kerry QF, and a Mayo/Kerry vs Cork Semi. No matter what happens, Mayo or even Galway for that matter cant meet Dublin or Donegal before the final

moysider

Quote from: Manning18 on July 01, 2014, 12:06:57 AM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on June 30, 2014, 11:14:03 PM

Nah, structured. Even the semi's are structured so that ye're meeting the winners of the other Munster vs Connacht QF.Potentially there could be a repeat of the connacht final in the semis!! Much more likely is a Mayo vs Kerry QF, and a Mayo/Kerry vs Cork Semi. No matter what happens, Mayo or even Galway for that matter cant meet Dublin or Donegal before the final

Which might not be a bad thing!

Imagine preferring to take on Cork or Kerry :-\   That can t end well either :(

At least the Connacht final should indicate if either team has any prospects later.

Collie Brolly

I understood it to be open draw for losing provincial finalist v Round 4 winners no?