Maigh Eo v Gaillimh, 2pm, 13ú Iúil, Pairc Mhic Eil

Started by macdanger2, June 22, 2014, 12:46:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

the only reason i have kerry and donegal so high is their relativley recent record of winning. this seem to have far too much influence but i dont make the rules.
I agree galway had they got thise 2 goals at the beginning of the second half they could well have beaten mayo, but had Lee keegan scored his chance mayo would have won by more , thats just the way games go.
i eould not blame Walsh in any way for missing it it was a chance he made for himself and he struck the ball beautifully
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Mayo4Sam

But none of those things actually happened Lar, so they didnt put up a good fight, they may have if they had scored a couple of goals, had a bit more experience and had a few retired players playing for them.

If they were bringing on Joyce in his youth JM would hardly stand by and watch that, he'd have Jinkin Joe and Willie Joe on before Mulholland knew it
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Mayo4Sam

McGee is some ****

On Keegan
Keegan's goal when he was almost on the opposing goal-line raises yet again his tendency to charge up the field from his wing half-back position rather than confining his play as a purely defensive half-back. Something for Mayo people to ponder upon no doubt.

On AOS
The experiment of playing former midfielder Aidan O'Shea at centre-forward does not seem to be a serious proposition based on what we saw in Castlebar. He drifted in to a wing-forward role for periods and maybe there is a bit of uncertainty in the camp about what to do with the big Breaffy player.

On Barry Moran, who fair enough didnt have a great game but is still a nominated all-star midfielder
Also of interest was the return of Barry Moran, who made such a big impression with Castlebar in the club championship, to midfield, but the jury is probably out on that one too.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Syferus

Is he being serious about Keegan? He wants the best attacking HB in the game to sit back and be defensive on a team that relies heavily on HBs to score and set up attacks? Sweet fûck.

Zulu

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 17, 2014, 05:08:15 PM
McGee is some ****

On Keegan
Keegan's goal when he was almost on the opposing goal-line raises yet again his tendency to charge up the field from his wing half-back position rather than confining his play as a purely defensive half-back. Something for Mayo people to ponder upon no doubt.

On AOS
The experiment of playing former midfielder Aidan O'Shea at centre-forward does not seem to be a serious proposition based on what we saw in Castlebar. He drifted in to a wing-forward role for periods and maybe there is a bit of uncertainty in the camp about what to do with the big Breaffy player.

On Barry Moran, who fair enough didnt have a great game but is still a nominated all-star midfielder
Also of interest was the return of Barry Moran, who made such a big impression with Castlebar in the club championship, to midfield, but the jury is probably out on that one too.

The man's a clown. Keegan is probably the best half back in Ireland at the moment and his driving runs into the opposition half are a big part of that. His opinion piece in the independent is usually pure rubbish and I fail to see why he is deemed a serious football analyst.

There might be a bit of uncertainty in the Mayo camp as to where to play Aidan but it's not uncommon for teams to be constantly evolving and Mayo happen to have a surplus of very good midfielders so trying to accommodate more of them in the team is understandable.

Of course the jury's still out on Barry, he has had numerous injuries and hasn't ever really had a good run of IC football so it's hardly insightful to say he has a bit to prove as an IC midfielder that can power an All Ireland winning team.

Football is a game that allows analysts plenty of scope to be interesting and offer views a bit different. Tactics, player roles and the game itself have all evolved so much over the past few years that a thoughtful, informed analyst should have plenty of interesting things to say. Yet we're offered that type of drivel.

macdanger2

Why does anybody read the Indo anymore?? Barely above tabloid level

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 17, 2014, 03:46:16 PM
But none of those things actually happened Lar, so they didnt put up a good fight, they may have if they had scored a couple of goals, had a bit more experience and had a few retired players playing for them.

If they were bringing on Joyce in his youth JM would hardly stand by and watch that, he'd have Jinkin Joe and Willie Joe on before Mulholland knew it

True, Mayo were always in control. But the point I was making was that Galway will have come on a lot after that game. They have the makings of a very good side and will take some beating now.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Syferus

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 17, 2014, 08:08:18 PM

True, Mayo were always in control. But the point I was making was that Galway will have come on a lot after that game. They have the makings of a very good side and will take some beating now.

Even that is a bit of an untruth. Tipp could quite easily beat Galway and then this year looks very bad, barely surviving relegation in D2 and a win against a woeful Sligo performance all they have to show for the year. Manager too is on a seriously hot seat even if they don't lose to Tipp.

Galway have the raw pieces to be a good side (when don't they?) but a lot of the lads they played against ye aren't the answer and the team that does succeed may have surprisingly few of those players starting.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on July 17, 2014, 08:24:15 PM

Even that is a bit of an untruth. Tipp could quite easily beat Galway and then this year looks very bad, barely surviving relegation in D2 and a win against a woeful Sligo performance all they have to show for the year. Manager too is on a seriously hot seat even if they don't lose to Tipp.

Galway have the raw pieces to be a good side (when don't they?) but a lot of the lads they played against ye aren't the answer and the team that does succeed may have surprisingly few of those players starting.
[/b]

Agree with that. Galway need to be a Div 1 team again. If a county does not have the quality to be a Div 1 team it's hard to see them able to contend in the championship. Fermanagh did it in 2004 reaching the semis. But what teams have done it since? i cant think of any but I m sure there been at least 1. Down 2010?

From the Bunker

McGee is some ****

On Keegan

On AOS

Please refrain from reading this drivel in the future. Eugene sticks by the rules of stereotype. These rules include not acknowledging any Mayo forwards or forward play. Thinking every Galway player is the next best forward since the last best forward. Meath teams are never beat. Tyrone teams hold the copyright to being cynical. Kerry and Galway are the only teams that can play the beautiful game.

Anyway, to make thing worse he is chairman of nearly every GAA review group! How did he get there?

seafoid

Quote from: moysider on July 17, 2014, 09:27:45 PM

[/b]

Agree with that. Galway need to be a Div 1 team again. If a county does not have the quality to be a Div 1 team it's hard to see them able to contend in the championship. Fermanagh did it in 2004 reaching the semis. But what teams have done it since? i cant think of any but I m sure there been at least 1. Down 2010?
I think Galway were D3 in 1995.
We were D1 up until relatively recently and it didn't make much difference

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 17, 2014, 10:00:31 PM
McGee is some ****

On Keegan

On AOS

Please refrain from reading this drivel in the future. Eugene sticks by the rules of stereotype. These rules include not acknowledging any Mayo forwards or forward play. Thinking every Galway player is the next best forward since the last best forward. Meath teams are never beat. Tyrone teams hold the copyright to being cynical. Kerry and Galway are the only teams that can play the beautiful game.

Anyway, to make thing worse he is chairman of nearly every GAA review group! How did he get there?

Seamus Darby.

moysider

Quote from: seafoid on July 17, 2014, 10:10:40 PM

[/b]

I was thinking of more recent times. Mayo were Div 3 as well in '96. But don t think that s possible now.
Galway were in Div 1 until relatively recently because likes of Meehan was playing and some of the old guard like Joyce were still togging out. It was a gradual slide though.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on July 17, 2014, 10:59:55 PM

[/b]

I was thinking of more recent times. Mayo were Div 3 as well in '96. But don t think that s possible now.
Galway were in Div 1 until relatively recently because likes of Meehan was playing and some of the old guard like Joyce were still togging out. It was a gradual slide though.

The worst kind of slide. You can fool yourself into thinking it's not so bad and suddenly half a decade has passed. At least the Tan Man blew us up in the most spectacular way imaginable so we couldn't mistake what had happened.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on July 17, 2014, 11:05:00 PM
Quote from: moysider on July 17, 2014, 10:59:55 PM

[/b]

The worst kind of slide. You can fool yourself into thinking it's not so bad and suddenly half a decade has passed. At least the Tan Man blew us up in the most spectacular way imaginable so we couldn't mistake what had happened.

I know, I know. But how can we square Sir John being the Mayo manager that set a standard for us and is regarded in Roscommon as sending them back to basics?