Donegal v Mayo NFL Final

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, April 15, 2007, 06:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

QuoteI think we will see a new full back,wing back,one midfielder and one in the half forwards and one in the full forward line.

An G what has young Kilcullen done wrong? Why are people putting him on thier NFL team? You must have been at different match's than me. Considering we had NO midfield for the whole league he has done very well considering the pressure he was one. Remember he is still learning this position and improving by the game, he did well last w/end. You appear to be referring to Gardiner or Devenney, again explain?, midfield agreed...

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

aodhruadh

The loss of Devenney is not ideal, but with Kavanagh returning, and a set of experienced forwards like Sweeney, Hegarty, Toye, Roper not to mention the younger lads, M Doherty and K McMenamin, Donegal should be well able to cope with his loss.

Tubberman

I'd be satisfied with Kilcullen so far. He did fairly well on Joyce last week. He got in some great blocks, and made one fantastic catch in the 2nd half. He could have been a bit tighter, but as you said highorlow, he's still learning so I'd be happy enough to see him stay there - it's not like we have any ready made replacements.
Devenney hasn't impressed me as much. I know he made a couple of good bursts forwards last week and got a point that could easily have been a goal. But he is primarily a defender and he hasn't done well in this regard. He has been lost in no man's land too often and his man is left with far too much space. He is only learning as well, and may improve, but he hasn't shown much signs of doing so to date. Unlike the FB position, we have a couple of options here, most notably Trevor Howley and Aidan Higgins.

Does anybody think Johnno may draft Pearse Hanley into the senior set-up? Or will he leave it until next year.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

highorlow

QuoteDoes anybody think Johnno may draft Pearse Hanley into the senior set-up? Or will he leave it until next year

I'd have him on the panel. He is still only 19 (i think).
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

stephenite

Quote from: highorlow on April 18, 2007, 09:01:41 AM
QuoteI think we will see a new full back,wing back,one midfielder and one in the half forwards and one in the full forward line.

An G what has young Kilcullen done wrong? Why are people putting him on thier NFL team? You must have been at different match's than me.

Interesting this,An G and Regreenery both raised issues with Enda Dev's performance over the past few games, maybe legit reasons,I wasn't there. But other discussion boards and even journos have signalled Dev out for praise,none more than Sean Rice.

Just wondering what others think cause I'm fierce confused

intoDwest

Dev has been the stand out half back in Mayo for the last few years when he has been fit, I just think that it is taking a bit of time to adjust to senior county football, he is very loose but that can be ironed out. He is still making his was back from some serious injurys.......................I'd give him the benifit of time.

Who do you replace him with?? Not A. Higgans, he is a corner back, and a very good one at that in my eyes. The only one that I could see replacing Dev at this stage would be Heaney. T howley maybe??

Fishead_Sam

FROM THE HOGANSTAND WEBSITEInjuries mount for Mayo
18 April 2007

Mayo manager John O'Mahony has an injury crisis on his hands ahead of Sunday's NFL final against Donegal at Croke Park.

Goalkeeper David Clarke, full back James Kilcullen and team captain Kevin O'Neill were all injured in last Sunday's semi-final win over Galway, making them doubtful for the meeting with Brian McIver's men.
Clarke has a back problem, Kilcullen is troubled by a groin injury, while veteran attacker O'Neill was forced to retire early in the second half with a calf injury.

O'Mahony said: "Coming on top of the nine or 10 lads we've lost already, another crop of injuries was obviously the last thing we wanted before Sunday's match.

"We're hoping to pick the team on Thursday night, but after what happened last Sunday, it could well be Saturday before we sit down and finalise it.

"A consolation for us is that it's still only Tuesday, so hopefully with treatment, some of the lads may be able to make the match."

In the event of Clarke being ruled out, third-choice 'keeper Morvyn Connolly will make his debut as under 21 custodian Kenneth O'Malley is also ruled out with a dislocated thumb. The injury will also force O'Malley to miss Saturday's All-Ireland under 21 semi-final against Laois.

Garrymore clubman Connolly has never figured competitively for Mayo at any level, but O'Mahony is confident that he will be up to the task if called upon.

Lads the injuries are gone insane, we will be resorting to playing the U-21s team at this rate, we now down to our third choice goalie

guy crouchback

QuoteMorvyn Connolly

Who the Hell is this Guy? and what sort of name is MORVYN ?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: guy crouchback on April 18, 2007, 10:51:33 AM
QuoteMorvyn Connolly

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the programme on Sunday!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: guy crouchback on April 18, 2007, 10:51:33 AM

Lives in Dublin 4 I believe, somewhere close to RTE  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

stephenite

J70

Quote from: Tyrones own on April 18, 2007, 06:44:18 AM

I'll take Mayo by 2 or 3 in this one, Will this be the first game in the league that Donegal hasn't fielded or very close to
A championship starting 15? its a long way to Aug/Sept, Devenney will be a big loss, McFadden will probably go into hiding like he usually does in big games
and as for Cassidy, i have a feeling this is just the start of the suspensions for Donegal this year, i just got a chance to see the Kildare game
some very cynical play altogether from the Donegal men namely Gallagher, Cassidy, Monaghan and that little thorn in the hole Roper.

We'll see what McFadden is made of this year, but you can't fault him so far. And he certainly showed Tyrone what he can do in 2004! His biggest problem is that he is very inconsistent, not that he's afraid of the big games. He used to have a big fault in going for spectacular, improbable scores whenever the slightest chance presented itself, but hopefully he's a bit wiser now.

Donegal have been rotating quite a few of the team this year, especially in the last couple of games. There are probably at least 20 or 21 players with a serious claim on a starting championship place after the league. McIver did his wild experimenting last year in the Division 2 campaign (and even through the championship, given the problems we had in the forwards).

As for cynical play, if that is the case, I'm glad we've seen what has worked over the past five years. Donegal teams were always regarded as "too nice". And I'll see your "little thorn in the hole Roper" and raise you a Ryan McMenamin. :P

Tyrones own

Point taken but a McMenamin of 2 or 3 yrs ago, anything at all thats going Roper is stuck in the middle of it, be it the FF line or FB line.
i think Donegal have done fierce well this year no doubt but in my mind there isn't another team in Ireland that has fielded as strong a
starting 15 as consistently and you have to wonder if it can be maintained through Aug / Sept.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

J70

Quote from: Tyrones own on April 18, 2007, 02:18:48 PM

Point taken but a McMenamin of 2 or 3 yrs ago, anything at all thats going Roper is stuck in the middle of it, be it the FF line or FB line.
i think Donegal have done fierce well this year no doubt but in my mind there isn't another team in Ireland that has fielded as strong a
starting 15 as consistently and you have to wonder if it can be maintained through Aug / Sept.

Roper is a hothead, no question, and he has cost us in the past by leaving us a man down, but he probably wouldn't be the same player without his temperament.

As for our long-term chances, I'm optimistic, but I've been stung too many times in the past to get too hopeful. However, looking back to last year, we would have hammered Cork with Devenney and McFadden in the team, given the space and good ball the forwards were getting that day. We were unlucky to go out at the quarter-final stage last year with an inexperienced and half-fit full-forward line, so I would hope that we can go at least that far this year, and hopefully take another step or even two. Depends on the draw, on injuries and on form obviously, but we do have a lot more alternatives than last season.

dodo

Quote from: Tyrones own on April 18, 2007, 06:44:18 AM

I'll take Mayo by 2 or 3 in this one, Will this be the first game in the league that Donegal hasn't fielded or very close to
A championship starting 15?
its a long way to Aug/Sept, Devenney will be a big loss, McFadden will probably go into hiding like he usually does in big games
and as for Cassidy, i have a feeling this is just the start of the suspensions for Donegal this year, i just got a chance to see the Kildare game
some very cynical play altogether from the Donegal men namely Gallagher, Cassidy, Monaghan and that little thorn in the hole Roper.

Donegal played a second string team against Fermanagh bar about 3/4 regulars. They still won that game which is impressive stuff as we all know these local games don't lack for anything ( except first choice players  ;) ). They played Limerick in the Gaelic Grounds also with a much weakened team.

Donegal seem to have a strength in depth this year which has been absent in the past. They have men to step into all positions.

Cassidy and Devenney would be huge losses. It's a pity because I'd rather see Mayo play against quality players like them.