USFC Semi-Final Armagh v Monaghan Saturday 28th June 7pm

Started by Agent Orange, June 15, 2014, 03:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: Zip Code on June 21, 2014, 07:25:51 PM
Has that w**ker Paddy Heaney apologised yet for the comments about that yellow wee shite Dunne being targeted.  I have stopped buying the Irish News with that type of gutter journalism.

Slightly OTT. I think Heaney is a good journalist but like most journalists he also has his agendas. Because of Armaghs dispute with the Irish News they have been portrayed as the instigators of the fracas before the Cavan game. Heaneys reporting of the reasons for Dunnes non appearance was misleading at best and vindictive at worst. The GAA are more concerned with 'being seen to do the right thing' rather than actually doing the right thing. They basically wait on the media reaction and after a few days react according to the level of outcry.

rrhf

If I was to look at all factors. I would be wondering was this a tactic by cavan which went v badly wrong for them. If it had happened in Tyrone I would want Tyrone to get layered in to them.

Throw ball

Quote from: Main Street on June 22, 2014, 12:34:44 PM
Quote from: illdecide on June 22, 2014, 11:07:51 AM
Quote from: rrhf on June 22, 2014, 10:21:27 AM
Armagh getting excuses in early.
anyway I'll still be at the game no matter what and Sky can feck off with their coverage. If any Monaghan lads want a pint before but preferably after the game...mines a Guinness (don't normally take a beer before a game)
There's a few mixed message there illdecide,
normally you wouldn't drink before a game but this time you will?
You're inviting Monaghan lads to join you before and after the game but you want them to buy you the pints?

If I am not mistaken Illdecide is from the Clann na Gael club in Lurgan. They play in the same colours as Cavan. Maybe he has taken a few of the Cavan men's famous traits as well. ;D

Zip Code

Quote from: yellowcard on June 22, 2014, 01:41:41 PM
Has that w**ker Paddy Heaney apologised yet for the comments about that yellow wee shite Dunne being targeted.  I have stopped buying the Irish News with that type of gutter journalism.

Slightly OTT. I think Heaney is a good journalist but like most journalists he also has his agendas. Because of Armaghs dispute with the Irish News they have been portrayed as the instigators of the fracas before the Cavan game. Heaneys reporting of the reasons for Dunnes non appearance was misleading at best and vindictive at worst. The GAA are more concerned with 'being seen to do the right thing' rather than actually doing the right thing. They basically wait on the media reaction and after a few days react according to the level of outcry.

That is hugely debatable, I think he could do good writing for a crap rag like the Sun.

orange

Heaney is a wannabe brolly, tries to be controversial for attention, never lets the facts get in the way of gutter trash!

Anyway,  after watching donegal today,  monaghan wud beat them if they play like that in the 1st half again,  for Armagh to beat them they wud have to play like that for 70mins!

illdecide

Quote from: Throw ball on June 22, 2014, 02:52:13 PM
Quote from: Main Street on June 22, 2014, 12:34:44 PM
Quote from: illdecide on June 22, 2014, 11:07:51 AM
Quote from: rrhf on June 22, 2014, 10:21:27 AM
Armagh getting excuses in early.
anyway I'll still be at the game no matter what and Sky can feck off with their coverage. If any Monaghan lads want a pint before but preferably after the game...mines a Guinness (don't normally take a beer before a game)
There's a few mixed message there illdecide,
normally you wouldn't drink before a game but this time you will?
You're inviting Monaghan lads to join you before and after the game but you want them to buy you the pints?

If I am not mistaken Illdecide is from the Clann na Gael club in Lurgan. They play in the same colours as Cavan. Maybe he has taken a few of the Cavan men's famous traits a. ;D

Easy you. Control yourself.

Main Street there are always mixed messages in my posts as I can't make up my mind. But what I'm trying to say is I'll meet up for a pint but I'd prefer it was after the game as I normally go to the games with no alcohol consumed... And yes get your Euro's out as I believe it is your round ;-)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Sleater

I think the doom and gloom of the Armagh supports is largely ignoring that they are all forgetting Monaghan are capable of some indifferent performances. I don't have rose coloured glasses on when it comes to Monaghan's performances - they has been some great play over the past few months but some sloppy patchy play too.  Monaghan's league games against Laois and Galway showed Monaghan can be disjointed (though in mitigation Monaghan were more or less secure of a league final place by that stage so motivation may not have been as strong as normal).

The league game between the teams is a point in case. Monaghan raced ahead, before Armagh woke up and reined them in. A missed J Clarke penalty and a sending off gave Monaghan the scare they needed to run out comfortable winners. Armagh will be fired up for sure and if Monaghan are in any way complacent we'll be beaten.  I see no more than a point or two in this game. It will be closer to  Monaghan's displays against Cavan and Antrim in last year's Ulster championship.

Tactically O'Rourke may change is game plan for the Armagh game - horses for courses and all that. Will Armagh adopt the same tactics as against Cavan?

Zip Code

What tactics were they, defend themselves and get demonised in the media for doing so and 3 of their best players suspended?

naka

Quote from: Zip Code on June 23, 2014, 11:43:36 AM
What tactics were they, defend themselves and get demonised in the media for doing so and 3 of their best players suspended?
SHOCKING DECISION BY CROKE PARK TO DOWNGRADE THE charges to "rough play" but to uphold the bans.
I saw the footage and any one of at least 10 players between the sides could be said to have been involved in rough play.

Bingo

Dangerous game for Monaghan. Monaghan of old, always had a good game in them, sometimes very good. But they couldn't string these games together. Monaghan of new, have a bad or poor game in them. In the last years though, they are getting fewer and they even manage to win some of these. Its a game that can occur at any stage.

Armagh are in a dangerous position, they have absolutely nothing to lose. They've had a comfortable first round win but been hit by losing 3, maybe 4 of those starters. They'll feel hard done by, cheated even and that can serve as serious motivation. They'll circle the wagons and have a "us V the world" attitude. They have a leader in McKeever who, despite his knockers, can hold a team together from centre half back and drive a team forward. He'll likely have Aaron Kernan in beside him from the start. Then they have a match winner in Jamie Clarke, who have taken plenty of handling.

The league game will have little bearing. Long time ago, Armagh weakened on the day and different mindset.

You'd hope O'Rourke won't let complacency set in, can't see it myself but if its there, we'll not be long seeing it come Saturday and when a game starts its hard to get it out of the system.

Monaghan should really benefit from the Tyrone game - up to match pace, McManus a bit stronger, debutants have a game under belt. Plus its in Clones again.

I'd fear Armagh pulling out a big big performance and catching Monaghan cold. I'd fear that but don't think it will happen. O'Rourke seems to get it right more than wrong, so he'll have them ready and Monaghan will eventually pull away to win by 3/4 points in a good tight game. Monaghan have about 3 players that could pick up Clarke if needed and if they can be disciplined and restrict frees in scoring positions they'll make it easier on themselves.

Orior

Quote from: Sleater on June 23, 2014, 10:34:58 AM
I think the doom and gloom of the Armagh supports is largely ignoring that they are all forgetting Monaghan are capable of some indifferent performances. I don't have rose coloured glasses on when it comes to Monaghan's performances - they has been some great play over the past few months but some sloppy patchy play too.  Monaghan's league games against Laois and Galway showed Monaghan can be disjointed (though in mitigation Monaghan were more or less secure of a league final place by that stage so motivation may not have been as strong as normal).

The league game between the teams is a point in case. Monaghan raced ahead, before Armagh woke up and reined them in. A missed J Clarke penalty and a sending off gave Monaghan the scare they needed to run out comfortable winners. Armagh will be fired up for sure and if Monaghan are in any way complacent we'll be beaten.  I see no more than a point or two in this game. It will be closer to  Monaghan's displays against Cavan and Antrim in last year's Ulster championship.

Tactically O'Rourke may change is game plan for the Armagh game - horses for courses and all that. Will Armagh adopt the same tactics as against Cavan?

Emmm, can we have one of those Sunday? Please?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

mackers

The doom and gloom from Armagh supporters is coming from the fact that this team has yet to prove themselves.  Monaghan are a team much further down the road in terms of development both as a unit and in players' physical development. We haven't had a full team out on the field this year to see exactly where we are and Saturday evening won't be any different.  Monaghan were easily the best team we played in the league (better than Donegal IMO).  The league game was a mirror image of our season to date, mixing the good with the very bad.
Bingo is right in that I'd imagine the poor treatment received both by the media and Croke Park after the Cavan game must galvanise the team.  No better man than McGeeney to foster the siege mentality.
Personally I wouldn't read too much into beating Cavan as they were atrociously poor on the day but there were some encouraging signs.  We defended well and in numbers and we didn't continually kick the ball into Clarke no matter how many men he had hanging off him and this must continue on Saturday evening.
I'd say we'll get a much better return out of Stefan Campbell who had a poor showing vs Cavan but was our most consistent performer in the league.  The return of AK counterbalances the loss of Donaghy, Toner can be replaced by Harold who was unlucky to not to get a start vs Cavan but the loss of Andy Mallon and Caolan Rafferty is huge.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Bingo

Quote from: Orior on June 23, 2014, 03:27:45 PM
Quote from: Sleater on June 23, 2014, 10:34:58 AM

Emmm, can we have one of those Sunday? Please?

Sure, no problem. Just tell us where and when on Sunday and we'll do our very worse.

Jinxy

Slightly OTT.

Very much so.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

J OGorman

Quote from: Jinxy on June 23, 2014, 04:02:23 PM

Slightly OTT.

Very much so.

Heaney is a good journalist and the Irish News has excellent GAA coverage imo. The are fairly far removed from gutter journalism.

the bit in bold is as 'gutter' as it gets ie faceless (cowardly) name calling on a decent message board