USFC Semi-Final Armagh v Monaghan Saturday 28th June 7pm

Started by Agent Orange, June 15, 2014, 03:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zip Code

Quote from: Sandy Hill on June 15, 2014, 06:54:18 PM
Quote from: ardchieftain on June 15, 2014, 05:52:41 PM
Was strange watching the end of the match there. I wanted tyrone to lose but didn't want Armagh to be playing Monaghan. This game will show us where we stand in terms of progression. A heroic defeat will be the most likely outcome but one can always hope. A trouncing, on the other hand will be an absolute disaster.

+1

I dread to think what could happen if the suspensions of B Donaghy, A Mallon and K Toner stand!

Andy won't be there as they are't appealing his suspension.

ardchieftain

I think Brendan Donaghy is the only one who might get off on appeal. The injuries we had during the league might end up being a blessing as several lads got plenty of game time and experience. Harold for Toner, Murray for Andy perhaps?

McManus looked well off the pace yesterday and i found it strange that he was risked. How much will his injury improve in the next fortnight? If he's firing on all cylinders next day i'd imagine he will destroy us.

Schkite

Quote from: ardchieftain on June 16, 2014, 04:55:29 PM
I think Brendan Donaghy is the only one who might get off on appeal. The injuries we had during the league might end up being a blessing as several lads got plenty of game time and experience. Harold for Toner, Murray for Andy perhaps?

McManus looked well off the pace yesterday and i found it strange that he was risked. How much will his injury improve in the next fortnight? If he's firing on all cylinders next day i'd imagine he will destroy us.

It was a big risk but one that paid off. He didn't do much in open play but just being on the pitch he commanded attention that otherwise would have been elsewhere, and he was faultless from frees which proved crucial in such a tight game.

I doubt he'll be fully fit for Armagh as it's less than two weeks, but he should be a bit more up to speed, as should Lennon hopefully.

Maguire01

Quote from: Schkite on June 16, 2014, 05:58:49 PM

It was a big risk but one that paid off. He didn't do much in open play but just being on the pitch he commanded attention that otherwise would have been elsewhere, and he was faultless from frees which proved crucial in such a tight game.

I doubt he'll be fully fit for Armagh as it's less than two weeks, but he should be a bit more up to speed, as should Lennon hopefully.
If he manages 6 points from frees or play, i'd be happy enough.

Obviously a lot of room for improvement from Monaghan - and I think nerves / the psychological element played a part in a lot of unforced mistakes yesterday - but how much better do they need to get? I didn't see the Armagh Cavan game, but I was at our league game with them and bar one purple patch, Armagh were woeful. It's common to hear people saying "a similar performance won't do the next day" - is that the case here? Could Monaghan beat Armagh on yesterday's performance?

Throw ball

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 16, 2014, 07:54:57 PM

Obviously a lot of room for improvement from Monaghan - and I think nerves / the psychological element played a part in a lot of unforced mistakes yesterday - but how much better do they need to get? I didn't see the Armagh Cavan game, but I was at our league game with them and bar one purple patch, Armagh were woeful. It's common to hear people saying "a similar performance won't do the next day" - is that the case here? Could Monaghan beat Armagh on yesterday's performance?

Armagh are not as bad as they appeared that day but it will be a big ask for them to beat Monaghan. A bit of luck needed and a few suspensions overturned.

never kickt a ball

Oops wrong thread. Has anyone seen the qualifiers thread.........

naka

Think both guys ( toner & donaghy) should get off.
It was disappointing the mention of dunne being targeted but no mention hits donaghy and Clarke took.
Still on a serious level we are a couple of years from the Monaghan level.

Sleater

Would Armagh fans expect changes to their line up irrespective if no players were facing suspensions? e.g. would Harold / E. Rafferty be expected in midfield over Toner / Findon?

From a Monaghan perspective O'Rourke has proven he picks a team based on a specific gameplan so Monaghan can expect to see two to three changes from the team that started against Tyrone. I

Main Street

The question is could Monaghan have beaten Armagh in the 1st round. Now both teams have won their 1/4 final and will be in a different shape in the semi final. Monaghan squad should be that bit stronger with more options available. 
I think O'Rourke's maxim holds true, that no matter if we were in a much better shape than Tyrone, shoulda/coulda been out of sight, we were always going to make a pig's ear of the job to cross the line ahead of them, because of the longstanding Tyrone curse.

Schkite

Quote from: Main Street on June 17, 2014, 11:51:24 AM

The question is could Monaghan have beaten Armagh in the 1st round. Now both teams have won their 1/4 final and will be in a different shape in the semi final. Monaghan squad should be that bit stronger with more options available. 
I think O'Rourke's maxim holds true, that no matter if we were in a much better shape than Tyrone, shoulda/coulda been out of sight, we were always going to make a pig's ear of the job to cross the line ahead of them, because of the longstanding Tyrone curse.

Exactly. While obviously Tyrone did well to get back into it at the end, surely there must have been some doubt going through the head of the older lads, you could see the relief at the final whistle that the monkey was off the back.

It's probably not a bad thing either. If we'd won by 5/6 points in a game where Tyrone didn't mount a late comeback, there was the potential for a bit of complacency to creep in. No danger of that now and O'Rourke will make sure of that.

Definitely a few changes anyway. Hopefully Lennon regains fitness although Dick deserves to keep his place.  A couple of changes from the starting half-forward line aswell I'd imagine.

ardchieftain

Quote from: Sleater on June 17, 2014, 10:21:49 AM
Would Armagh fans expect changes to their line up irrespective if no players were facing suspensions? e.g. would Harold / E. Rafferty be expected in midfield over Toner / Findon?

From a Monaghan perspective O'Rourke has proven he picks a team based on a specific gameplan so Monaghan can expect to see two to three changes from the team that started against Tyrone. I

I'd like to think that the Armagh management will set out their team to counter the opposition. On the surface it looks like the tactical mistakes of last year have been addressed, so hopefully this is the case. Would there be changes irrespective of suspensions? I'd like to think so. I'm looking forward to and dreading this game in equal measures simply because this game is the acid test for this rebuilt squad. I believe we have the players to trouble most teams but feel the players on the periphery need to get this season over them first before they come of age and kick on next season.

mackers

Quote from: ardchieftain on June 17, 2014, 01:49:22 PM
Quote from: Sleater on June 17, 2014, 10:21:49 AM

I'd like to think that the Armagh management will set out their team to counter the opposition. On the surface it looks like the tactical mistakes of last year have been addressed, so hopefully this is the case. Would there be changes irrespective of suspensions? I'd like to think so. I'm looking forward to and dreading this game in equal measures simply because this game is the acid test for this rebuilt squad. I believe we have the players to trouble most teams but feel the players on the periphery need to get this season over them first before they come of age and kick on next season.
If Harold and Rafferty were to play against Monaghan it would signal a more attacking set up. The two lads are very good footballers but both are more comfortable going forward than having to mind the house. I'd imagine if Toner was available the same team would take the field bar AK coming in for Andy Mallon, if fit. Mickey Murray is a further option there.  Toner and Findon formed a defensive barrier in front of our defence and I'd say the management would prefer this.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Main Street

Quote from: Schkite on June 17, 2014, 01:31:35 PM
Quote from: Main Street on June 17, 2014, 11:51:24 AM

Exactly. While obviously Tyrone did well to get back into it at the end, surely there must have been some doubt going through the head of the older lads, you could see the relief at the final whistle that the monkey was off the back.

It's probably not a bad thing either. If we'd won by 5/6 points in a game where Tyrone didn't mount a late comeback, there was the potential for a bit of complacency to creep in. No danger of that now and O'Rourke will make sure of that.

Definitely a few changes anyway. Hopefully Lennon regains fitness although Dick deserves to keep his place.  A couple of changes from the starting half-forward line aswell I'd imagine.
It was refreshing to see the new Dick Clerkin, almost as if he'd been reborn (a dna deep cleansing) after a visit to the River Jordan last week, and that coupled with Dessie Mone getting remarked upon for not going down when hit on the face, Armagh are going to be in a state of flux when confronted by this Monaghan team.

Armamike

Monaghan the hot favourites for this. Two divisions higher than Armagh, Ulster champions, and an all round physically strong, fit and well drilled team.  Looked very good in large spells in the league game in Armagh. I'd say there wouldn't be too many Monaghan supporters who would not fancy their chances here.  Hopefully Armagh will be able to take some positives from the game to build on.
That's just, like your opinion man.

T Fearon

Monaghan not all that impressive last Sunday,and were lucky enough to win against a mediocre Tyrone team.Wouldn't rule a younger Armagh team out entirely,after all Cavan nearly beat Monaghan in the semi final last year. O'Rourke bound to be having nightmares coming up against Mc Donnell after the 2008 Ulster Final,again