USFC Semi-Final Armagh v Monaghan Saturday 28th June 7pm

Started by Agent Orange, June 15, 2014, 03:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: babarino on June 26, 2014, 10:18:57 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on June 26, 2014, 10:05:52 PM
Any word on Lennon and Doogan? How come Finlay isn't starting at the minute? Good to have the likes of him and Gollogly to call on during the game, but I'm not sure McGuinness deserves to start ahead of them, based on the last day's performance.

I've heard that Lennon's injury has him out till the end of July. I'd say Doogan lost out because Clerkin showed such form against Tyrone. McGuinness gets the start to keep his confindence intact - good management - to drop him would have been a big setback for the lad. He has shown he's a decent player and now has a chance to redeem himself. We should see McCarron or Gallogly feature at some stage. I wouldn't be very surprised if Finlay starts at half forward.

I was chatting a lad from Latton the last day who said something similar re Lennon. Re Finlay, in place of McKenna or Wylie? MOR seems to have a lot of confidence in McKenna and I believe Wylie should be given another chance on merit. Perhaps Finlay is to be the 'super sub'?

timmyot501

With no lennon has Finlay become the cover for midfield.  Doogan will hardly be thrown on this weekend

Orior

For those who cannot attend, is this match only available on Sky?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Zip Code

Schkite

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on June 27, 2014, 08:41:05 AM
Any word on Lennon and Doogan? How come Finlay isn't starting at the minute? Good to have the likes of him and Gollogly to call on during the game, but I'm not sure McGuinness deserves to start ahead of them, based on the last day's performance.

I've heard that Lennon's injury has him out till the end of July. I'd say Doogan lost out because Clerkin showed such form against Tyrone. McGuinness gets the start to keep his confindence intact - good management - to drop him would have been a big setback for the lad. He has shown he's a decent player and now has a chance to redeem himself. We should see McCarron or Gallogly feature at some stage. I wouldn't be very surprised if Finlay starts at half forward.

I was chatting a lad from Latton the last day who said something similar re Lennon. Re Finlay, in place of McKenna or Wylie? MOR seems to have a lot of confidence in McKenna and I believe Wylie should be given another chance on merit. Perhaps Finlay is to be the 'super sub'?

I've heard it said that O'Rourke doesn't like to start with Finlay because he doesn't do the hard work that he wants from his half-forward line, and instead he brings him on in the second half when the game has opened up a bit and he can spread the ball around. He would be a better scoring option from half-forward but it's true that he wouldn't be as mobile or as much a "worker" as those named to start there. He could well start anyway though, Malachy probably adopts a horses for courses approach with each game.

I wouldn't mind McCarron being given a shot though, he was impressive in the regular league games but hasn't featured much since. It mightn't be good for his confidence, but based on the last day McGuinness doesn't deserve to start again here. Now that we have options we should use them. I'd love to see a full-forward line of McCarron, Hughes and McManus to see how it does, but I doubt we will see it considering the way we play.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Schkite on June 27, 2014, 11:41:51 AM

I've heard it said that O'Rourke doesn't like to start with Finlay because he doesn't do the hard work that he wants from his half-forward line, and instead he brings him on in the second half when the game has opened up a bit and he can spread the ball around. He would be a better scoring option from half-forward but it's true that he wouldn't be as mobile or as much a "worker" as those named to start there. He could well start anyway though, Malachy probably adopts a horses for courses approach with each game.

I wouldn't mind McCarron being given a shot though, he was impressive in the regular league games but hasn't featured much since. It mightn't be good for his confidence, but based on the last day McGuinness doesn't deserve to start again here. Now that we have options we should use them. I'd love to see a full-forward line of McCarron, Hughes and McManus to see how it does, but I doubt we will see it considering the way we play.

I agree, it's the style of play that is preventing McCarron in my opinion. Malone is lined out in the corner to play as a 'worker' out round the middle. McCarron is a class act in my opinion and is a great finisher but he does not posses this 'worker' quality, or at least to a lesser degree compared to Malone; therefore Malone gets the nod based on our style of play. McCarron is an orthodox forward i.e. put the ball in in front of him and he'll win it and instinctively head for goal. The problem (though I doubt it is a problem really..) is that we have McManus and Hughes who serve this function also, with added aerial ability.. No modern team deploys a system of three ball winning full forwards in my opinion; one is most likely brought out to both work around the midlde third and open up space in the inside forward area for the other two ball winners to operate.

Like Finlay though, if the game opens up in the third quarter (which is where the winning of the game occurs, according to Danny Hughes in today's Irish News  :)) then having McCarron and Finlay on the bench is a good position to be in.

GrandMasterFlash

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/gaelic-games/28019225

So that's that then. At least it allows the team to focus on the game. I always reckon these things must be a serious distraction for a squad so soon before a big game, irrespective of what spin managers/PROs put on it..

Boycey

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on June 27, 2014, 01:28:27 PM

So that's that then. At least it allows the team to focus on the game. I always reckon these things must be a serious distraction for a squad so soon before a big game, irrespective of what spin managers/PROs put on it..

Are they not up in front of DRA tonight?

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Boycey on June 27, 2014, 01:34:07 PM
Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on June 27, 2014, 01:28:27 PM

Are they not up in front of DRA tonight?

You're right, I since found this and came back to modify my post before it was picked up, but I was obviously too late: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/gaa/last-throw-of-the-dice-for-armagh-trio-donaghy-toner-and-mallon-30388067.html

:)

Boycey

I have to say I've always thought it a farce that there are potentially three different processes to go through before a suspension is confrimed.

Schkite

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on June 27, 2014, 01:23:16 PM
Quote from: Schkite on June 27, 2014, 11:41:51 AM

I agree, it's the style of play that is preventing McCarron in my opinion. Malone is lined out in the corner to play as a 'worker' out round the middle. McCarron is a class act in my opinion and is a great finisher but he does not posses this 'worker' quality, or at least to a lesser degree compared to Malone; therefore Malone gets the nod based on our style of play. McCarron is an orthodox forward i.e. put the ball in in front of him and he'll win it and instinctively head for goal. The problem (though I doubt it is a problem really..) is that we have McManus and Hughes who serve this function also, with added aerial ability.. No modern team deploys a system of three ball winning full forwards in my opinion; one is most likely brought out to both work around the midlde third and open up space in the inside forward area for the other two ball winners to operate.

Like Finlay though, if the game opens up in the third quarter (which is where the winning of the game occurs, according to Danny Hughes in today's Irish News  :)) then having McCarron and Finlay on the bench is a good position to be in.

Yeah it's definitely good to have options like that to come off the bench to change things if needed, that's where we failed badly in past years. It seems like the only way McCarron would start in the current system is if Hughes came out the field a bit, as he would be the most adaptable to come out and could do well in a different position. But that would be crazy given the good partnership he's struck up with Conor and he's a great option to let the ball in quick, he gives any full-back their fill of it. Still though, if the game allowed it I'd like to see McCarron brought in a bit earlier on Saturday, I'd say he's seen less than 10 minutes of game time between the Donegal and Tyrone games, which is strange considering the amount he played in the league previous to the final.

The CloneZone

Mc Carron did play some games this year at half forward and i thought he was very impressive in this position. His passing into the full forward line was excellant.
Personally I wouldn't be satarting Chris Mc Guinness, I think he is a great player but his best matches are when he comes on as sub. Dont know the stats but he is nearly always worth a score or 2 when he comes on as a sub.
As for Finlay I think the role Malachy has given him is really working out. He is coming into games at crucial times with fresh legs. He has been the difference in winning and losing in so many games this year. ( who could forget that point against Laois)

Tomorrows game would really suit the likes of Gollogly and I feel he should be getting a start. May not have the best scoring record but the amount of possession he wins would be crucial in a close tight game like tomorrows.

drici

illdecide

If you give me a free bet on the game I'd bet on Monaghan but my heart says Armagh 2-10 Monaghan 1-12.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch