Have you attended many matches in another province?

Started by Fuzzman, June 13, 2014, 02:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

Any photos of that Benny?

Should we try to organise match swaps instead of wife swaps, were we take turns at going to a big game in another province every year. I suppose I'd love to see a Cork v Kerry game and a Mayo v Galway game in Football
Also I've never been to Thurles so suppose Tipp v Kilkenny there is a must

For me though it's highly unlikely in the next year or 10 as it's already a nightmare getting out to any Tyrone match away from Dublin with 4 kids.

ballinaman

Was at the AI semi final Waterford vs Limerick, AI final Waterford Vs Kilkenny and Munster final Waterford V Tipp that Tipp scored about 7 goals a few years ago....subsequently have been banned from attending any more Waterford games with my mates....fair enough really.

laoislad

Been to several Munster hurling matches and finals.

I don't like Rugby so wouldn't be bothered with going to a Ulster football game.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Fuzzman

Yeah Laoislad
Instead ye Leinster teams just roll over to the mighty Dubs and take yer share of the gates each year.
That's why ye'll never beat them. Show a bit of fight will you.

Sounds like a lot of ye have went to more hurling games outside your own province that football.

Wonder do any Munsterites come up to watch Ulster or Mayo?

Wildweasel74

went to many leinster finals and semi from 1992 - 97, damn train got to dear to attend regularly, back then Dublin, kildare and meath games were a def in the calendar year

Syferus

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 13, 2014, 04:52:52 PM
Yeah Laoislad
Instead ye Leinster teams just roll over to the mighty Dubs and take yer share of the gates each year.

Sounds like a lot of ye have went to more hurling games outside your own province that football.

Muster football supporters don't even go to their own games.

Lar Naparka

Went to  a league game in Navan two years ago to see Meath play Galway. I wasn't really bothered about the result. I figured it would be Padraig Joyce's last game and I wanted to see him in action for the last time.
I really don't recall going to any other game where Mayo weren't playing.
However, I've been to loads of championship hurling games- far too many to mention.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Syferus on June 13, 2014, 08:49:29 PM
Yeah Laoislad

Average attendance in Munster football was 11,500 last year..with 1.5 Football counties. What was the average in Connacht where Football is the main game in 4 counties? 36,300 at Munster Final last year, when was the last time that kind of crowd were at a Connacht final?

I've been to an Ulster championship game aswell as several league games in Omagh, Newry, Armagh and..Ballinascreen strangely enough! Have to go to an Ulster final in Clones at some stage. Have been to a Leinster final aswell, but they aren't up to much these days..apart from the odd late try. ;D
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Syferus

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on June 14, 2014, 04:56:04 AM
Yeah Laoislad

Average attendance in Munster football was 11,500 last year..with 1.5 Football counties. What was the average in Connacht where Football is the main game in 4 counties? 36,300 at Munster Final last year, when was the last time that kind of crowd were at a Connacht final?

I've been to an Ulster championship game aswell as several league games in Omagh, Newry, Armagh and..Ballinascreen strangely enough! Have to go to an Ulster final in Clones at some stage. Have been to a Leinster final aswell, but they aren't up to much these days..apart from the odd late try. ;D

Connacht: 542,547
Munster: 1,246,088

Raw attendance numbers.. yeah, not so much a guide as a lie.

Only Kerry take any real interest in going to games in Munster, unless the match happens to be Kerry-Cork. Kerry fans don't travel well when asked to go to Gaelic Park, Semple or Dungarvan either.

And let's not touch on how poor Cork's support is for every other game.

All five Connacht teams are well supported in their own province, nevermind on a per capita scale. Even Galway bring good crowds to most all senior championship ties in the province.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Syferus on June 14, 2014, 01:56:51 PM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on June 14, 2014, 04:56:04 AM
Yeah Laoislad

Connacht: 542,547
Munster: 1,246,088

Raw attendance numbers.. yeah, not so much a guide as a lie.

Only Kerry take any real interest in going to games in Munster, unless the match happens to be Kerry-Cork. Kerry fans don't travel well when asked to go to Gaelic Park, Semple or Dungarvan either.

And let's not touch on how poor Cork's support is for every other game.

All five Connacht teams are well supported in their own province, nevermind on a per capita scale. Even Galway bring good crowds to most all senior championship ties in the province.

Gaelic Park? You're right, Kerry fans don't regularly travel to New York for games in big numbers.

IF you mean the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick, there were 25,000 there for Munster final a few years ago when we played Limerick, not surprising really as North Kerry is close to Limerick city...you might have forgotten that with your dodgy geographical ideas! ;D

Connacht overall has a stronger base of football supporters, not disputing that, but like I said, Kerry and West Cork are large football strongholds..after that, you've West Clare, West Limerick and bits of Tipp and Waterford...it's largely a hurling province.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Syferus

'For a Munster final..', which is the key. Every provincial final swells the bandwagon, even for a county like Kerry where sitting on the pine for a few years could get you three or four Munster medals.

Kerry have the excuse of an incredible level of success and yet still out-perform supporters from the other counties. Cork is the most shameful anomaly in Gaelic football, last year Mayo trekked down there for a do-or-die league game for both sides and they out-numbered the home support by a large margin. That is nothing less than embarrassing when you consider the distance the Mayo ladeens had to drive in their Massys. The fact the passion for actually playing the game is evident only makes it more amazing how poorly Cork are supported.

Let's not get started on disinterest the hurling first counties have in their teams despite most of them having their moments in the recent past - Limerick and Tipp more than anyone. We're not talking about the reverse where in football counties the hurling sides are playing in tiered gulags of competitions where they won't even be allowed on the same field as the best, football in Limerick and Tipp have competed directly with the best and on more than a few occasions done very well, in Tipp's case they have won underage provincial and AI titles.

armaghniac

Any neutrals heading to the Waterford v Clare football replay this evening? Nice day for it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Farrandeelin

I wonder if Mayo have a bad spell in the future, will we still have good supporters?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 14, 2014, 09:07:47 PM
I wonder if Mayo have a bad spell in the future, will we still have good supporters?

The  bandwagon won't be as big but like Cavan, Roscommon, feck even Leitrim, a good core of support will always remain because the county is football mad.