Derry v Longford AIQs 1A - Sat 21 Jun 2014 at 5pm Celtic Park

Started by Shamrock Shore, June 10, 2014, 03:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Stupid time for him to write an article like that. In fairness none of the Derry supporters on here have patronised Longford the better team won end of story.

Taking the Derry Longford game out of the equation does he not have a point?

I think a 3 tiered system would work as long as there was still an avenue to get back into the Sam Maguire. Look at Fermanagh at the weekend they put in decent performance but that's for nothing now as their season is over. We need to provide a platform to allow teams to improve at Senior Level and we're not currently doing that.

imtommygunn

Was it not tried with the tommy murphy cup and pretty much proved to be a failure?

There are a very limited number of teams who'll win an ai in football and hurling.

Just to use this game as an example neither would or will.  What do you do - discard both?

Best way to do it- top x teams in country get a 2nd chance. Based on league positions. Then the league is important for everyone.

That being said it's still clutching at straws...

muppet

LaurelEye that was a witty and brilliant dissection of an idiotic article.
MWWSI 2017

Billys Boots

Good man Laureleye, you should get annoyed more often.  :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

J OGorman

Bar the first 10 mins, Longford were pretty much superior in all areas. Travelling the whole way up to beautiful Derry on the banks of the Foyle and putting in a performance full of hunger for 50 odd travelling fans has to be applauded. Longford have 3/4 players who would walk into most county teams in the country. Imagine they had the money Dublin get ;-)
Looking forward to seeing how they go in Rd 2.

DennistheMenace

I read that Heaney article and cringed, and I'm from Derry.
I suspect the Fermanagh team that got to the AI semi-final in 2004 would have that anyday over a secondly B trophy.

laoislad

Quote from: DennistheMenace on June 25, 2014, 09:40:24 AM
I suspect the Fermanagh team that got to the AI semi-final in 2004 would have that anyday over a secondly B trophy.
Ah the Ulster Championship isn't that bad...
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

DuffleKing

Quote from: laoislad on June 25, 2014, 09:46:36 AM

Fermanagh haven't any Ulster Championships. Not that handy got...

J OGorman

Quote from: DuffleKing on June 25, 2014, 09:59:51 AM

Ulster can only strive to be as competitive as the Leinster championship...oh wait, Leinster is probably the least competitive competition in the world, in any sport. well, with the exception of the SPL

babarino

Quote from: screenexile on June 24, 2014, 11:50:00 PM
Stupid time for him to write an article like that. In fairness none of the Derry supporters on here have patronised Longford the better team won end of story.

Taking the Derry Longford game out of the equation does he not have a point?

I think a 3 tiered system would work as long as there was still an avenue to get back into the Sam Maguire. Look at Fermanagh at the weekend they put in decent performance but that's for nothing now as their season is over. We need to provide a platform to allow teams to improve at Senior Level and we're not currently doing that.

Good post Laurel Eye. Heaney's article is sugar coated sour grapes. It would make you glad to see Derry dumped from the Championship, which is unfortunate, because despite the condescending attitude of Derry commentators, you couldn't meet a more sound bunch than the ordinary supporters. 

Lower division teams have to do much like Derry have done and build up a squad during the League. With time they'll come good. As regards competing in a Micky Mouse cup, as a supporter I'd want nothing to do with it.

Jinxy

Quote from: J OGorman on June 25, 2014, 10:02:28 AM
Quote from: DuffleKing on June 25, 2014, 09:59:51 AM

Ulster can only strive to be as competitive as the Leinster championship...oh wait, Leinster is probably the least competitive competition in the world, in any sport. well, with the exception of the SPL

You try competing with the Dubs and their oil money.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

macdanger2

This fella sounds like Brolly's twin in his condescension!!

Have never read PH or the IN and I won't be making it my business to do so either. The abuse directed at him in another thread on here seems like it may have some sorted of foundation.

DennistheMenace

As a player the qualifiers do keep the majority interested, being relegated to a secondary competition would mean $ in USA for a lot of players.

screenexile

Quote from: DennistheMenace on June 25, 2014, 12:22:43 PM
As a player the qualifiers do keep the majority interested, being relegated to a secondary competition would mean $ in USA for a lot of players.

I think if the secondary competition still got you back into the race for Sam it would hold the interest of the counties still involved!

Syferus

Quote from: screenexile on June 25, 2014, 12:24:45 PM
Quote from: DennistheMenace on June 25, 2014, 12:22:43 PM

I think if the secondary competition still got you back into the race for Sam it would hold the interest of the counties still involved!

So the goal would be to get exactly what they've got right now. I really see them going for that.