Derry v Longford AIQs 1A - Sat 21 Jun 2014 at 5pm Celtic Park

Started by Shamrock Shore, June 10, 2014, 03:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qwerty28

Who can play the poor mouth the best!? Looks like Derry folk arent too optimistic but having seen Longford in both their championship outings I don't think there's much to fear unfortunately. We don't have confidence or momentum of 2012 and just hope we put up a decent fight on Saturday in what could be a last hurrah for a few extremely loyal servants

Wildweasel74

That seriously cant be the Derry football team for this weekend!!

J OGorman

There will a couple of changes by the time throw in arrives, but with the injury crisis and the 2 Bucko's jumping ship, I like the look of the team. Plenty of speed and mobility and plenty of fine young footballers. Matches like this will be the making of them.
Benny should be starting and I'd say Sukie will have a big say on Sat 

southderryman

Quote from: Qwerty28 on June 19, 2014, 10:25:56 PM
Who can play the poor mouth the best!? Looks like Derry folk arent too optimistic but having seen Longford in both their championship outings I don't think there's much to fear unfortunately. We don't have confidence or momentum of 2012 and just hope we put up a decent fight on Saturday in what could be a last hurrah for a few extremely loyal servants

It's hardly playing the poor mouth, it's just being realistic. That's not a strong derry team by any stretch. One thing it does have though is plenty of pace. Hopefully some of the young lads grasp this opportunity and Do well. I've no idea how good/bad Longford are as I've not seen them since 2012. Hopefully we can get over this game and get a few of the injured lads back.

southderryman

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 19, 2014, 10:28:38 PM

It'll not be far away. Lots of injuries at the minute.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 19, 2014, 10:28:38 PM

All Derry fans heading for Celtic Park have been asked to bring their boots.

Newbridge Exile

young Johnstone has done well this year but I cant see him as an intercounty midfielder ( ,Is that Plunkett Murphy's son named on the sub's ?)

southderryman

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on June 19, 2014, 11:14:40 PM
young Johnstone has done well this year but I cant see him as an intercounty midfielder ( ,Is that Plunkett Murphy's son named on the sub's ?)
]
He plays midfield for Dungiven. Agree though that it is a big  step up. We're just short on options there with doc patsy and PJ all out.

I honestly don't know anything about Conor Murphy

Shamrock Shore

Longford team to play Derry

1.Damien Sheridan
2.Dermot Brady
3.Barry Gilleran
4.Fergal Battrim
5.Colm P. Smith
6.Enda Williams
7.Shane Mulligan
8.John Keegan
9.Kevin Diffley
10.Michael Quinn
11.Francis McGee
12.Paul Barden
13.Aidan Rowan
14.Brian Kavanagh
15.Sean McCormack

southderryman

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 20, 2014, 10:58:39 AM
Longford team to play Derry

1.Damien Sheridan
2.Dermot Brady
3.Barry Gilleran
4.Fergal Battrim
5.Colm P. Smith
6.Enda Williams
7.Shane Mulligan
8.John Keegan
9.Kevin Diffley
10.Michael Quinn
11.Francis McGee
12.Paul Barden
13.Aidan Rowan
14.Brian Kavanagh
15.Sean McCormack

Would this be possible Longford at full strength?

To be the honest the only players I am familiar with are Barden, Kavanagh and McCormack; all 3 have caused us plenty of problems in previous meetings

Shamrock Shore

I would have Mark Hughes in for Aidan Rowan. Other than that that's as good as we can get. Nobody fecked off the panel after Wexford defeat or, natch, not counting lads out injured like Deccie Reilly.

No doubt, though, within ten minutes Foy will be brought on  :-\

southderryman

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 20, 2014, 12:09:29 PM
I would have Mark Hughes in for Aidan Rowan. Other than that that's as good as we can get. Nobody fecked off the panel after Wexford defeat or, natch, not counting lads out injured like Deccie Reilly.

No doubt, though, within ten minutes Foy will be brought on  :-\

Nearly full strength then, and you only narrowly lost to Wexford in leinster. Should be a tight enough game I reckon. Hope the young lads do themselves justice and we can edge it by a few points.

Who's the ref for this? Have ye's brought Michael Collins out of retirement? ;D

Shamrock Shore

QuoteHave ye's brought Michael Collins out of retirement?

That brought a hearty laugh from me. Jazes, he rode ye rotten that day in 2006.

I know a fellow that was a mentor that day, yellow jacket an all. Collins has history with Longford in the past - he was doing the line at Kerry v Longford in Killarney in 2005(?) and when Paul Barden got pasted into the fencing by a Kerry heveril with a push, Collins did nothing. To our disgust.

So when the game v Derry in Longford was over and Derry bize were hopping, having lost by a point, the mentor calmly takes off yellow bib.

"Why are you taking that off" says someone to him.

"I'm taking it off so I won't have to go in and protect that cnut!" sez the mentor, referring to Collins.

No - it's some Fermanagh ref. I'd love to see Gerry Kinneavy back for this one.

southderryman

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 20, 2014, 01:12:29 PM
QuoteHave ye's brought Michael Collins out of retirement?

That brought a hearty laugh from me. Jazes, he rode ye rotten that day in 2006.

I know a fellow that was a mentor that day, yellow jacket an all. Collins has history with Longford in the past - he was doing the line at Kerry v Longford in Killarney in 2005(?) and when Paul Barden got pasted into the fencing by a Kerry heveril with a push, Collins did nothing. To our disgust.

So when the game v Derry in Longford was over and Derry bize were hopping, having lost by a point, the mentor calmly takes off yellow bib.

"Why are you taking that off" says someone to him.

"I'm taking it off so I won't have to go in and protect that cnut!" sez the mentor, referring to Collins.

No - it's some Fermanagh ref. I'd love to see Gerry Kinneavy back for this one.
brilliant! ;D

I though you's played kerry in next round after you beat us?

he gave us a very soft penalty at the end of the first half, Longford crowd gave have serious abuse at half time and in the second half he gave us absolutely nothing...was a very surreal experience.

Fierce heat that day too and game was played at a very fast pace. Barden destroyed us.

I'd forgotten about Kinneavy!

Shamrock Shore

You may be right - we may have played Kerry after that year.

But Collins had rode us before at some stage - so he was still at it in Killarney as well as the first half. It's slowly coming back.

Of course Gerry Kinneavy later become Gearoid O'Cionnamha to try and cod us.

I'd have him in the Top 5 worst referees ever...along with Joe Woods......Seamus Aldridge............Michael Collins.........and a few local yokes that never made it to inter county.