Sligo v Galway June 21st markievicz park

Started by sligoman2, June 09, 2014, 11:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Collie Brolly

Quote from: Rossfan on June 12, 2014, 10:51:10 AM
Quote from: galwayman on June 11, 2014, 11:32:19 PM
I'm fairly sure the minor game is the curtain raiser at 5pm.
Connacht GAA site says 21st June in Markypark but no time given.
I suspect Prenty and Co. will be praying for a Galway win to avoid a financial disaster. Who's the Ref?

Maurice Deegan according to the gaa website.

sligoman2

So in the unlikely event we beat Galway the final has to be in salthill as the Hyde is not available, markievicz and macdiarmada are too small and our generosity has limits and we would not agree to castlebar.

I remember a similar conversation before the 2012 final where the mayo bucks were crying because the final wasn't in castlebar.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Syferus

Quote from: sligoman2 on June 12, 2014, 04:35:55 PM
So in the unlikely event we beat Galway the final has to be in salthill as the Hyde is not available, markievicz and macdiarmada are too small and our generosity has limits and we would not agree to castlebar.

I remember a similar conversation before the 2012 final where the mayo bucks were crying because the final wasn't in castlebar.

Do you think there's any chance Sligo CB would hold firm on Salthill? Money talks.

magpie seanie

Any (small) lingering hope I had about Sligo causing a shock in this one has now evaporated with the realisation of what it would mean for the Connacht Final. Sligo v. Mayo in the White Elephant Bowl won't be allowed to happen.

honest assessment - we're not too good. Galway are not too good but possibly improved. I still see many lads on the Galway team that have buckled under pressure in the past but I just don't see us playing with the intensity or physicality to ask those same questions of those guys. Have rarely been as pessimistic about Sligo's prospects. Usually convince myself we will win no matter who we are playing!

ross4life

Quote from: Rossfan on June 12, 2014, 10:51:10 AM
Quote from: galwayman on June 11, 2014, 11:32:19 PM
I'm fairly sure the minor game is the curtain raiser at 5pm.
Connacht GAA site says 21st June in Markypark but no time given.
4:45 pm will be the throw in time.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

macdanger2

Will this be the first connacht SF to be played on a Saturday?? Pure disaster for anyone with cows to.milk

An Fhairche Abu

According to the Tribesmen supporters twitter a few lads have been let go from the Galway squad.
King, Costello, Duane, Concannon and Ó Connell have all been released from the Galway senior football panel.
Duane was a starter against London, Concannon came in as a sub.

galwayman

There was a disciplinary issue with Duane and Concannon during the league around the time Sice walked from the panel I believe.i think they were off the panel for a week or two & allowed back then.
One can only assume it is a disciplinary issue with those two anyway given that both featured in the London game.
We could do without this kind of thing a week away from Sligo to be honest.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: galwayman on June 12, 2014, 10:24:37 PM
There was a disciplinary issue with Duane and Concannon during the league around the time Sice walked from the panel I believe.i think they were off the panel for a week or two & allowed back then.
One can only assume it is a disciplinary issue with those two anyway given that both featured in the London game.

Definitely. Concannon had a stormer at the weekend for St James as well. Would love to know the story behind this.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 12, 2014, 10:26:34 PM
Quote from: galwayman on June 12, 2014, 10:24:37 PM

Definitely. Concannon had a stormer at the weekend for St James as well. Would love to know the story behind this.

The Indo is reporting today that Joss Moore might be out for the season due to knee surgery as well, he was definitely one of our better performers in the league so he'll be a big loss, Keith Kelly is also listed as doubtful for Saturday week.
In light of this the decision to drop Duane surely has to be a purely disciplinary issue rather than a football one, given that both of those players would be competing with him for a starting place.

I agree with you galwayman that we could do without this so close to a (in terms of framing the entire year for Galway really) huge championship game against Sligo.

Shrewdness

Sounds like a lot of sudden absences for Galway to deal with. Can any of the Sligo lads tell me how David Kelly is getting on? I know he had a lot of injuries in recent years. Will he be playing in this match?

neilthemac

Why isn't this game on this weekend?
The other semi final was last week.

Syferus

Quote from: neilthemac on June 15, 2014, 02:25:18 PM
Why isn't this game on this weekend?
The other semi final was last week.

It's tied to a minor match between the counties.

The LC only finishes on the 20th.

neilthemac

So the senior match is being held up for a bunch of kids?
That minor match could easily be played seperate.

Syferus

Quote from: neilthemac on June 15, 2014, 02:39:00 PM
So the senior match is being held up for a bunch of kids?
That minor match could easily be played seperate.

The final is on July 13th, no point or need to have the match any earlier and split the games.