Sligo v Galway June 21st markievicz park

Started by sligoman2, June 09, 2014, 11:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJGaliv

Delighted with the win. It's been a while since we've been in a Connacht final, so happy with that.

The game lacked a lot of intensity it has to be said. The first 20 minutes or so there was some, but it did seem like a league game for long stretches. I thought Sligo would have more in them than they showed. What's going wrong up there? I haven't heard Eamonn O'Hara coming out with any assertions just yet, so I'll wait for that.

I imagine a half decent run in the qualifiers will follow for Sligo now. I know David Kelly was just back from injury. I wonder if he had an extra 10-15% in him that comes with match sharpness what that would have done to the score.

It was more comfortable than I thought. We didn't concede a goal which was great to see although the last quarter we should have shown more.

Syferus

Sligo looked so toothless on Sunday I don't know about runs anywhere. The saving grace is they're in the easier side of the draw so they might get a few confidence builders and reach what is essentially a AIQF play-off against Cork/Kerry - can they even meet Galway again in R4?. The two teams that emerge from 3A (Sligo's side) play the Munster and Connacht losers in R4.

Mano

Dispirited performance by Sligo Saturday. Galway didn't have to be very good to win easily. No intensity, no urgency in our play took an eternity to take frees and kick outs even when the match was getting away from us. Keeper midfielders have to share blame for kick out fiasco. On a few occasions midfielders went to the wings for a kick out and keeper kicked to the space just vacated into the Galway midfielders hands. Kilcullen didn't attack our own kickouts allowing Galway man ahead of him and trying to break. Forwards looked as if they could do damage but had too little possssion.

Quote from: DJGaliv on June 23, 2014, 12:40:02 PM
I thought Sligo would have more in them than they showed. What's going wrong up there? I haven't heard Eamonn O'Hara coming out with any assertions just yet, so I'll wait for that.
Whatever about Eamonn as a pundit (he was 100% right about Walsh btw) O'Curraine would not have been fielding uncontested if he was was playing even at 39.

Middle third had no pace and were too slow to get ball forward. 2 of the half backs only back from injury with very little games played. Manager got it wrong on tactics, no plan b for kickouts, players out of position and other players injured. A run in the qualifiers looks unlikely but we see what the draw gives us

Syferus

Quote from: Mano on June 23, 2014, 03:18:04 PM
Dispirited performance by Sligo Saturday. Galway didn't have to be very good to win easily. No intensity, no urgency in our play took an eternity to take frees and kick outs even when the match was getting away from us. Keeper midfielders have to share blame for kick out fiasco. On a few occasions midfielders went to the wings for a kick out and keeper kicked to the space just vacated into the Galway midfielders hands. Kilcullen didn't attack our own kickouts allowing Galway man ahead of him and trying to break. Forwards looked as if they could do damage but had too little possssion.

I thought Sligo would have more in them than they showed. What's going wrong up there? I haven't heard Eamonn O'Hara coming out with any assertions just yet, so I'll wait for that.
Whatever about Eamonn as a pundit (he was 100% right about Walsh btw) O'Curraine would not have been fielding uncontested if he was was playing even at 39.

Middle third had no pace and were too slow to get ball forward. 2 of the half backs only back from injury with very little games played. Manager got it wrong on tactics, no plan b for kickouts, players out of position and other players injured. A run in the qualifiers looks unlikely but we see what the draw gives us

That 'a exactly how you nullify FOC and Galway, James just wasn't in the right position 90%. You don't want to be trying to compete directly with FOC in the air unless you're an O'Shea
-sized tank with equal high-fielding ability.

Mano

Quote from: Syferus on June 23, 2014, 03:24:40 PM

That 'a exactly how you nullify FOC and Galway, James just wasn't in the right position 90%. You don't want to be trying to compete directly with FOC in the air unless you're an O'Shea
You are been very generous to James there- 90% of the time. Even when he was in right position he was too slow to get to the ball. Bradshaw waltzed past him on one occasion. I think we saw yesterday why he is playing for Sligo and not on the Mayo panel

Syferus

Quote from: Mano on June 23, 2014, 05:06:38 PM

You are been very generous to James there- 90% of the time. Even when he was in right position he was too slow to get to the ball. Bradshaw waltzed past him on one occasion. I think we saw yesterday why he is playing for Sligo and not on the Mayo panel

Or the fact Mayo could name a forward line of exclusively midfielders and probably still have a couple to come on from the bench. Kilcullen was the Mayo Club PotY two years ago in a position with the most competition in the county - he is no donkey.

I've seen Kilcullen be one of Sligo's performers more times than not, no doubt he played badly on Saturday but he was one of many.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Syferus on June 23, 2014, 05:43:31 PM

Or the fact Mayo could name a forward line of exclusively midfielders and probably still have a couple to come on from the bench. Kilcullen was the Mayo Club PotY two years ago in a position with the most competition in the county - he is no donkey.

I've seen Kilcullen be one of Sligo's performers more times than not, no doubt he played badly on Saturday but he was one of many.
How many times have you seen Kilcullen for Sligo?(on tv doesn't count)
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Syferus

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 23, 2014, 06:08:14 PM

Been living in Sligo for a while so I've seen a few yer home games the past two years. Obviously the two games at the Hyde too, though Kilcullen didn't play in 2013. This was the first home championship game for Sligo since before he joined the panel so I didn't have the honour of watching the Derry game last year.

The problem with Sligo midfield is more about structure than skill and knowing what the f**k the plan is. The HBs and HFs have plenty of blame in that regard too. Didn't look to crowd out FOC or do anything that might slow him (and by extension the entire Galway team) down. Despite his good save Devaney's kick-outs were aimed very poorly and that just compounded everything else.

I was really disappointed by how lacklustre a performance Sligo handed in. That Galway team could have been beaten if Sligo had put in a decent shift. Even Marren made a mess of too many chances and he was the best ye had on the day.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Syferus on June 23, 2014, 07:06:52 PM

Been living in Sligo for a while so I've seen a few yer home games the past two years. Obviously the two games at the Hyde too, though Kilcullen didn't play in 2013. This was the first home championship game for Sligo since before he joined the panel so I didn't have the honour of watching the Derry game last year.

The problem with Sligo midfield is more about structure than skill and knowing what the f**k the plan is. The HBs and HFs have plenty of blame in that regard too. Didn't look to crowd out FOC or do anything that might slow him (and by extension the entire Galway team) down. Despite his good save Devaney's kick-outs were aimed very poorly and that just compounded everything else.

I was really disappointed by how lacklustre a performance Sligo handed in. That Galway team could have been beaten if Sligo had put in a decent shift. Even Marren made a mess of too many chances and he was the best ye had on the day.
the reason i asked is i don't rate Kilcullen tbh, and a lot of Sligo people feel the same, he's a nice footballer but far to passive for me and doesn't impose himself at all, most matches the game bypasses him, and if it doesn't it looks like more by chance than any extra effort or reading of the game from him, look i totally agree on all your points which is why I'm so disappointed, i kept expecting us to have a go and we never did even when i thought galway were mediocre all game and were inviting us on but we just rolled over, its soul destroying how tame we were. not really in the mood to go into too much detail at the minute

moysider

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 23, 2014, 11:29:23 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 23, 2014, 07:06:52 PM

the reason i asked is i don't rate Kilcullen tbh, and a lot of Sligo people feel the same, he's a nice footballer but far to passive for me and doesn't impose himself at all, most matches the game bypasses him, and if it doesn't it looks like more by chance than any extra effort or reading of the game from him, look i totally agree on all your points which is why I'm so disappointed, i kept expecting us to have a go and we never did even when i thought galway were mediocre all game and were inviting us on but we just rolled over, its soul destroying how tame we were. not really in the mood to go into too much detail at the minute

I was also very frustrated with Sligo on Saturday. I was beside a Sligo steward who was downbeat before a ball was kicked.
I know f**k all about Pat Flanagan s methods but playing so conservatively with the wind in the first half was shite.
Everybody knows Curran can catch a ball and he was fed Sligo kick outs all day long. Jaysus Curran didn t have it that easy in the Gaeltacht competition a couple of weeks ago  where players often used to play drunk, or at least hungover and topping up.
Kilcullen is not county standard midfielder and never was. If he was he would have played for Mayo for some time because he got chances. I often wondered how to describe the lad and never could. Passive is about right Sligonian. No bloody temper or bite. Very frustrating.
I said to the aforementioned steward early in the game that Galway were innocent and could be taken if Sligo took the game to them. He looked at me shocked and ten minutes later agreed but I don t think Flanagan ever imagined that Sligo were able to have a right cut at Galway. Which is sad. Because I bet most of Sligo s best days came from an attitude of getting stuck in and see where it leads.

macdanger2

QuoteKilcullen is not county standard midfielder and never was. If he was he would have played for Mayo for some time because he got chances

Whether he's up to standard or not is debatable but I don't think it's fair to say he got chances - for various reasons he got very little opportunity with Mayo

Rossfan

I'm so disappointed, i kept expecting us to have a go and we never did even when i thought galway were mediocre all game and were inviting us on but we just rolled over, its soul destroying how tame we were.

You'd wonder why people would put their lives on hold and spend so much time training etc and not go out and burst themselves when the game they've been preparing for comes around.
All the more so when Sligo had done so well against Galway in recent years.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Rossfan on June 24, 2014, 10:43:13 AM
I'm so disappointed, i kept expecting us to have a go and we never did even when i thought galway were mediocre all game and were inviting us on but we just rolled over, its soul destroying how tame we were.

You'd wonder why people would put their lives on hold and spend so much time training etc and not go out and burst themselves when the game they've been preparing for comes around.
All the more so when Sligo had done so well against Galway in recent years.
ive spoke at length to some previous managers of Sligo and we've a fair idea whats going on, but not for me say on here, but look the minors were even worse, training non stop since last yr and look at that performance, isn't it funny that the u21s had basically no preparation and performed the best.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 22, 2014, 12:05:08 PM
So how many years without a championship win for Pat Flanagan?

One. Beat Carlow last year, who were the worst intercounty team I've had the displeasure to witness. He has a horrendous record in championship though, this defeat makes it:

P12 W3 D L9
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

sligoman2

Very disappointing show on Saturday, Galway were the Berger team and deserved the win.  Once again our midfield was our weakest link although I thought kilcullen played his heart out, broke some good balls but curran was abourt 6 inches taller than him.
Agree with all the comments around changing the kick outs, hey we kept doing the same thing is baffling to me as is kicking in high balls to a small full forward line.  I hope pat rectifies these issues before the back door or we will be "one and done"
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.