Started by Wildweasel74, June 08, 2014, 11:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAULD123

Quote from: CD on June 09, 2014, 07:18:40 PM
                        Buffon

Maldini    Cannavaro   Baresi   Bergomi

Platini     Cruyff        Zidane   Matthaus

Maradona      Pele

Not too shabby I'd say - didn't intentionally pick an Italian back 5 - just happened that way!

Maldini was a left-back or sometimes centre back but never right back, I think you would want to swap him with Bergomi. Also you've picked three central midfielders and three forwards. Wouldn't that team be vulnerable down the wings?

muppet

Quote from: PAULD123 on June 09, 2014, 09:00:57 PM
Quote from: CD on June 09, 2014, 07:18:40 PM
                        Buffon

Maldini    Cannavaro   Baresi   Bergomi

Platini     Cruyff        Zidane   Matthaus

Maradona      Pele

Not too shabby I'd say - didn't intentionally pick an Italian back 5 - just happened that way!

Maldini was a left-back or sometimes centre back but never right back, I think you would want to swap him with Bergomi. Also you've picked three central midfielders and three forwards. Wouldn't that team be vulnerable down the wings?

The other team would only have the ball for kick-offs.
MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 09, 2014, 08:34:09 PM
I went

Buffon

Carlos Alberto
Baresi
Beckenbaur
Maldini

Socrates
Zico
Platini

Pele
Maradona
Cruyff

Love the back 4 and forwards. No so sure about Platini - stick Zidane or Matthaus in there for me.

trileacman

Was Beckenbauer a centre half? I always thought he was a defensive midfielder.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Tony Baloney

Quote from: trileacman on June 09, 2014, 10:51:38 PM
Was Beckenbauer a centre half? I always thought he was a defensive midfielder.
Midfielder in his early days before becoming a famed libero.

Billys Boots

There only seems to be a major argument about the middle 3 or 4 - I couldn't be having AZ's choices, who'd do the work FFS?  ;D
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AZOffaly

My team are playing the beautiful game :D If I wanted to pick a team to win it, I'd have Claudio Gentile in there to decapitate someone.

Billys Boots

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 10, 2014, 09:20:15 AM
My team are playing the beautiful game :D If I wanted to pick a team to win it, I'd have Claudio Gentile in there to decapitate someone.

I thought about playing Gentile in my back four but he'd never have got near it - he'd be behind Baresi and Cannavaro at least, as well as the four I picked.

Your midfield would never get the ball near your strikers - you need to replace Platini or Zico with Makalele and they might have some possession.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Canalman

Surprised to say the least not to see Peter Shilton listed amongs the goalkeepers. Zoff the obvious choice for goalkeeper though.

Honestly think the team should be picked on players you have actually seen play and not players your oul fella raves on about.

AZOffaly

Mine is. Well, except that I only saw videos of Beckenbaur, Pele and Alberto.

supersarsfields

I was surprised not to see Romario mentioned (But then I looked at who you would have to drop!!) I remember parts of 90 but 94 was prob the first I completely remember.

Milltown Row2

Paolo Rossi, Golden Boot, Golden Ball and won the World Cup, only a couple of players managed that, he'd a great 82 Final
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AZOffaly

He had, but is he better than Pele, Cruyff or Maradona? I don't think so. In fact you could say the Brazilian Ronaldo is better than Rossi.

supersarsfields

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 10, 2014, 10:37:08 AM
Paolo Rossi, Golden Boot, Golden Ball and won the World Cup, only a couple of players managed that, he'd a great 82 Final

Romario won FIFA player of year, Golden Boot and World cup in 94. But as Az says who do you drop?

Sorry Diego, can you give Paolo a run out here? T'would be some ego's to manage there.

Canalman

Personally think a minimum of playing 2 good World Cup finals needed to make the team. Would rule likes of Rossi, Cruyff and a few others out.

Lineker would make my team.

Could easily have a goalie and entire backline made up of Italians tbh.