D-Day. June 6th. 1944.

Started by AZOffaly, June 06, 2014, 11:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Today is the 70th anniversary of one of the most important military operations in history, as the Allied Forces launched Operation Overlord, and renewed the western front against Hitler, which finally gave the Nazi leader too much to bite off, as he was already struggling to deal with the Soviet Bear on his eastern front.

D-Day is obviously very famous and lauded in story and movie, not to mention brilliant programs like Band of Brothers, but I think it's very poignant to see old, old men visiting Omaha, Juno, Gold, Sword and Utah beaches and remembering their fallen comrades.

It's only right we also remember the Irishmen who fought in the various armies of the Allied Force, of course many joined the British Army, but there were many in the American and Canadian armies as well. They did their duty and put their lives on the line in a good cause.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/06/d-day-landings-70-years-anniversary-live

http://www.dday-overlord.com/eng/commemorations_normandy_2014.htm

Shamrock Shore

Hardy

My neighbour, Denis (he's English) is over there today. He parachuted into France before D-Day. He's fascinating company over a few pints. I was stupid enough to ask, "I suppose you're looking forward to meeting all your mates?". "There's only two of us left," he said.

Denn Forever

Quote from: Hardy on June 06, 2014, 12:55:43 PM
My neighbour, Denis (he's English) is over there today. He parachuted into France before D-Day. He's fascinating company over a few pints. I was stupid enough to ask, "I suppose you're looking forward to meeting all your mates?". "There's only two of us left," he said.

Sobering.

Thanks.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

From the Bunker

Quote from: Hardy on June 06, 2014, 12:55:43 PM

Yeah, that group are coming to their natural end. Cant be many of them left.

macdanger2

Must have been tough going, esp for the British soldiers who were ill-equipped compared to the Americans.

The military importance of it has been exaggerated by Hollywood in comparison to Stalingrad which goes relatively unheeded and must have been some going as well

Minder

D-day veteran stages great escape to Normandy | The Times

A Royal Navy veteran showed his D-Day spirit today by running away from a residential home to join the celebrations in Normandy.
Bernard Jordan, 89, staged his own great escape after reportedly being told that he could not join the 70th anniversary pilgrimage.

The former serviceman and mayor of Hove walked out of his care home with his medals hidden underneath his coat on Thursday morning — and was next found in France.
Staff at The Pines nursing home in Furze Hill, Hove, had contacted police on Thursday evening when Mr Jordan failed to return from a walk.
Officers had carried out a search of the local areas including hospitals but failed to find any sign of him.

Neville Kemp, the Police Commander for Brighton and Hove tweeted: "Love this: 89 yr old veteran reported missing by care home who said he can't go to Normandy for #DDay70 remembrance. We've found him there!"

The mystery was solved that night when a younger veteran contacted the home to say that Mr Jordan had joined them on a coach to France, and was safe and well at a hotel in Ouistreham, near to the Sword Beach.
Mr Jordan also assured the home that his friends would make sure that he returned safely.
"Once the pensioner is home we will go and have a chat with him to check he is ok," Sussex Police said in a statement.

A spokesman for The Pines denied reports that Mr Jordan had been refused permission to attend the Normandy event.
The home today tweeted pictures of Mr Jordan in the Navy alongside a recent picture of the veteran proudly wearing his medals.
A profile posted on the home's website said that Mr Jordan had married his sweetheart Irene after returning from his service in the war.

He also embarked on a lengthy political career culminating in a post as the Conservative mayor of Hove between 1995 and 1996, and said the highlight of his career was meeting Margaret Thatcher on a visit to Brighton.
In a statement, Peter Curtis, chief executive of Gracewell Healthcare, which runs The Pines, said: "Gracewell Healthcare can confirm that The Pines care home resident Bernard Jordan attended the D-Day commemorations in Normandy today.

"Mr Jordan has full capacity, which means that he can come and go from the home as he pleases, which he does on most days. At no stage was he banned from going to the commemorations.
"In fact, staff at the home tried to get Mr Jordan on to an accredited tour with the Royal British Legion but, due to the last-minute nature of the request, this was not possible.
"Mr Jordan was reported missing to the police yesterday evening as a matter of caution because he did not return from his normal trip to town and when he left had not told us he was still intent on trying to get to Normandy.

"At Gracewell Healthcare we celebrate the individuality of our residents' lives and are in awe of the part Mr Jordan played in the D-Day invasion 70 years ago."
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tony Baloney

I wonder what their favourite crisps are.

Wildweasel74

A big day in historical terms and one which is never forgot by the people of France, Important in world war two terms to open a second front and take the pressure of the Russians who had gainer the upper hand on the germans by this stage but had a appalling casualties list to go with the hard fought victories, this not as not the most important battle of world war 2 but remembered most for the largest naval operation ever witnessed.

Hard to say what was the most important battle of WW2, Stalingrad, D-Day, battle of the bulge, tobruk or the Battle for the Philippines, to me if the Germans had won the battle of Kursk, they probably would have toppled Russia and the world may have been a different place today

AZOffaly

Yeah, I was going to say Kursk as well, in terms of a pure battle. Stalingrad was a major momentum changer. The Battle of Britain kept the Brits a viable threat as well, and gave the Yanks something to latch on to, and D-Day was a huge strategic change that probably was the mortal blow to Germany.

macdanger2

You'd rarely hear of any of those being remembered. Perhaps it's due to the relatively local nature of d-day here

AZOffaly

I suppose Hollywood has a bit to do with that. D day was probably the only one of those mentioned with large us presence. Iwo Jima is probably better known here than the battle of Kursk.

laoislad

IRISH D-Day veteran Thomas Kinsella joined the Royal Navy in 1941 when he was just 19-years-old. Mr. Kinsella was just one of thousands of young men who left the emerald isle to fight against the ever approaching Nazi Germany.
I met Thomas in Saint Marys nursing home in Waterford where he has been residing for the past 7 years. He looked fresh for someone in his nineties, but took a while to answer my knocking on the door.
"Sorry, I had the television up loud," he explained, inviting me in with a nod. "My old ears aren't the best since the war. All those canons and gunfire have them ruined."
I sat down in a chair facing Thomas in his state subsidised apartment. Jeremy Kyle was playing on the TV.
"Look at that smarmy p***k," he said pointing at Jeremy Kyle. "Mr. Goody two shoes judging everyone he invites on the show. I only watch it hoping someone will deck him."
A spittle escaped Thomas' mouth on the pronunciation of "hoping" and landed on my forehead and I ignored it out of respect.
"Thomas, it must have been a very frightening time for you on the 6th of June. Can you tell me about your experience?" I asked.
Kinsella was first-in-command of a landing craft tank that was bound for Omaha Beach on D-Day with a cargo of six Sherman tanks.
"I was wasted to tell you the truth. We all were. We knew what we were getting ourselves in for so myself and squadron Delta zero spent the previous night on the Jameson." he recalled. "Man we were shitfaced. I landed that craft sideways on the beach in a handbrake turn. Even the Gerry's were impressed and stop shooting for a bit."
Thomas spat again, this time on the word "impressed" and into a cup of tea he was holding.
"As far as I can remember, we eventually launched the tanks from the craft and I ended up passing out on the beach.
"Woke up with a terrible hangover the next day by some yankee medic checking my pulse. All in all it was a successful mission. The only shots I fired were the ones back in the barracks bar that night. Shots of whiskey!" he said without blinking an eye. "The English  even gave me this medal for bravery! They lashed them out like butter vouchers."
"What do you think would have changed if the allies lost the war?" I asked.
The veteran was taken aback by my question and began fixing himself in his chair, pinching the pants material between his legs.
"Christ! I don't know really. I suppose there would be no such thing as X-Factor or Geordie shore." he answered. "When you see programmes like that you realise what it was all for.
"Otherwise we'd all be blonde with blue eyes watching the Bundesliga or listening to John Kelly reciting excerpts of Mein Kampf on the wireless. David McWilliams would probably be president. Who knows what kinda shitstorm we'd be in."
"Have you any advice for young people today?" I asked finally.
"Yeah, don't join the f**king army and never ever eat yellow snow, no matter how much money someone offers you to do so," he concluded.
I left Thomas where he sat, watching the remainder of Jeremy Kyle. Loud shouts of "Stick his DNA results up his hole" could be heard as I walked out his front door – a true hero of our time.

-Waterford Whispers.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Zulu

Must say I'm absolutely fascinated by the German army of WW2, of course Nazism was an abhorrent world view but the German army were an unbelievable fighting force and Germany under Hitler were unique in the history of the world. Anyone, other than me and the History channel, share that fascination?

T Fearon

Don't forget Hitler was a catholic,indoctrinated by evil priests and nuns.

Hardy did you tell Denis about your experiences in World War 1?