GAA grants exclusive global digital highlights rights to The Sun newspaper

Started by neilthemac, June 06, 2014, 10:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neilthemac

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa-grants-exclusive-global-digital-highlights-rights-to-the-sun-newspaper-632666.html

How could the GAA grant digital rights to such a shower??
This is the same newspaper that came up with this

and this

Has the GAA lost its moral compass? I mean, who makes these decisions?

Catch and Kick

Liam O Neill - all of this on his watch....
Maybe I'm old fashioned and it will be great for the diaspora to read about Kilkenny v Offaly in the Connaught Football Championship in the Sun and watch it on Sky.
Global domination on the way .... wile we kill the games at club level in little old Ireland

furboot

apart from the questions over the partner decision in this does anyone know if it's free or what - looks to me like you will only be able to view if you are a paid up subscriber to the Sun online edition (don't know how much that costs and no intention of finding out) or via the Sun app which i hear is 4.49 per Month ? anyone know if that's the way it works ? a bit rich for many GAA fans I expect if that's the case

J OGorman

the f**king S**m...sweet jesus. As long as the filthy cash keeps on rolling in....little by little Liam, little by little

orangeman

This is win win win for GAA. The lads in Croke Park are really doing all they can to increase revenue streams. They're doing a brilliant job in that regard. Sky now the Sun. All big hitters.

GAA Commercial and Stadium Director, Peter McKenna, said: "The GAA is pleased to confirm arrangements for our clip rights which will see us partner with a leading media organisation with a truly global reach".

neilthemac

The worst thing is that a club cannot even bring a motion through to congress to oppose the likes of this (as it will be declared out of order) due to the deal being done by the commercial arm of the GAA, or Peter McKenna as he is known.

lenny

Quote from: neilthemac on June 06, 2014, 01:38:39 PM
The worst thing is that a club cannot even bring a motion through to congress to oppose the likes of this (as it will be declared out of order) due to the deal being done by the commercial arm of the GAA, or Peter McKenna as he is known.

The rights haven't been sold to The Sun, they've been sold to News Uk which includes The Sun, The Times and the Sunday Times. You have to subscribe to get access and it's quite expensive which is the bit I resent. The Times is a good newspaper even if it's very Tory but I can't see myself subscribing to it particularly when other quality papers like the Guardian and Independent are free online.

armaghniac

I think someone should call for a comprehensive overall review of the media strategy, what is is trying to achieve (e.g. publicity v revenue), who is its audience (GAA people/others) etc.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Quote from: armaghniac on June 06, 2014, 02:11:01 PM

I think someone should call for a comprehensive overall review of the media strategy, what is is trying to achieve (e.g. publicity v revenue), who is its audience (GAA people/others) etc.
Ah yes ...... the old reliable "Someone"  :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Quote from: Rossfan on June 06, 2014, 03:51:04 PM

Ah yes ...... the old reliable "Someone"  :-\

I can call for it, but if someone brings a motion to Congress it would be more effective.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

DoireGael

The Sun & Bloody Sunday - "When our parents received £250 in ex-gratia payments for Michael's death in 1974, the Sun newspaper decided to have some fun at our expense. It was around Christmas time and the paper printed a cartoon of Santa Claus delivering a sack to Derry with £250 painted on it," Kelly says.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2010/jun/11/bloody-sunday-families-interviews

Utter trash.

seafoid

I think a lot of punters will be very unhappy with this. The ould lad is still talking about sky but this is a good bit beyond that.

stibhan

Quote from: orangeman on June 06, 2014, 12:56:48 PM
This is win win win for GAA. The lads in Croke Park are really doing all they can to increase revenue streams. They're doing a brilliant job in that regard. Sky now the Sun. All big hitters.

GAA Commercial and Stadium Director, Peter McKenna, said: "The GAA is pleased to confirm arrangements for our clip rights which will see us partner with a leading media organisation with a truly global reach".

What in the actual f**k? The Sun newspaper? Win-win?

sheamy

Classic stuff. The Croke Park crew really have gone to shit.

We have the Sky Bet links at the bottom of each online piece they do.

Maybe the Sun will introduce 'The Page 3 popup' on the app.