Omagh primary school to exclude logo due to links with GAA

Started by supersarsfields, June 04, 2014, 10:45:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersarsfields

Very sad to see this idea still being held by some.

http://ulsterherald.com/2014/06/03/omagh-primary-school-to-exclude-logo-over-links-to-gaa/

QuoteAN OMAGH primary school is to exclude the logo of one of Ireland's leading sportswear manufacturers from its new PE kit following a row over the company's links to the GAA. Controversy flared after Omagh Integrated Primary School's appointment of O'Neill's Sportswear to make its new PE tops. The decision prompted complaints from some parents over O'Neill's ties with the GAA. The Strabane-based firm manufactures kits for the bulk of Ireland's GAA clubs but also makes gear across a spectrum of other sports including rugby. Following an on-line barrage on the issue in recent days, Omagh Integrated Primary has confirmed the O'Neill's logo will not now be included on its new sports tops. In a letter to parents, principal Nigel Cairns said the perception that the O'Neill's brand was synonymous with GAA had "stirred certain views". He added however that the views had not been strongly voiced during an earlier consultation period over the new PE uniform. Mr Cairns said that GAA accounted for only eight per-cent of O'Neill's business and that the company had been selected because they provided best value and because they were Northern Ireland based. The principal also pointed out that O'Neill's currently supplies to the predominantly Protestant Stranmillis University College who are "delighted with the garments and the service". 'STRONG CONCERNS' As a result of the "strong concerns" raised by some parents of pupils attending Omagh Integrated Primary though, there will be no O'Neill's logo on the new PE tops, he said. Mr Cairns said he was both surprised and saddened by the controversy that had arisen but added that he was pleased the vast majority of parents had not got involved in the "gutter" comments that had appeared on social media websites. He told the Tyrone Herald, "From time to time sensitivities arise in every walk of life for whatever reason. The great strength of a planned integrated school is that sensitivities are neither swept under the carpet nor ignored. "With regard to logos, my prime concern is that the school logo is on any school garment and anything else is entirely secondary. O'Neill's are to be applauded on their pragmatic and inclusive stance on this issue. "I was saddened to follow the various blogs, comments, and tweets on the world wide web, and I was somewhat surprised that my choice of primary school PE kit supplier would attract so much interest. I would heartily commend the vast majority of parents at my school who have not responded to the internet gutter. "It is also noteworthy that the negative attention has come from people not directly involved in our integrated school community – doesn't that tell a tale," Mr Cairns added. CONTROVERSY It is the second time this year that O'Neill's has found itself unwittingly embroiled in controversy. In February outspoken loyalist Willie Frazer called for an investigation after an actress on Eastenders was pictured wearing a sports top bearing the O'Neill's motif. Mr Frazer compared the use of the shirt by the soap's producers to promoting the National Front, Ku Klux Klan or Nazism. It later emerged that the jersey worn by fictional barmaid Nancy Cartwright was actually the PE top of St Patrick's College in Ballymena. - See more at: http://ulsterherald.com/2014/06/03/omagh-primary-school-to-exclude-logo-over-links-to-gaa/#sthash.BRYV5JfV.dpuf

orangeman

Jim got 75000 votes in Europe - I'd say there was a good few in Omagh.

Rossfan

Integrated?????
Who exactly do they want to integrate???
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

supersarsfields

Quote from: Rossfan on June 04, 2014, 10:51:36 AM
Integrated?????
Who exactly do they want to integrate???

To be fair I don't lay this at the School's door. It was the parent's kicking up that caused the problem.

Rossfan

Seems it's ok to have Catholics but they have to keep themselves or any manifestations of their  culture hidden to avoid "offending" others.
Some integration that. ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

Quote from: Rossfan on June 04, 2014, 11:08:58 AM
Seems it's ok to have Catholics but they have to keep themselves or any manifestations of their  culture hidden to avoid "offending" others.

This is Willie Frazer's handiwork. But he's 'harmless' and 'a joke'.

Bensars

Couldnt argue with the response from the Headmaster. Thats some example for some parents to set for their children. The irony of sending them to integrated education ! ::)

Farrandeelin

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 04, 2014, 11:11:46 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 04, 2014, 11:08:58 AM

This is Willie Frazer's handiwork. But he's 'harmless' and 'a joke'.

Unfortunately this is how I see it too AZ. As you pointed out it's all harmless until some GAA club feels his wrath because of a number of these morons who believe everything he says is true.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

tbrick18

My kids go to an integrated school (not this one) and unfortunately I have to say that in my experience these schools are not particularly integrated when it comes to the GAA.
Some comments there about this being parents and not the school, however, the board of governors of any school is made up predominantly by parents of children in attendance at that school. So the way in which a school implements the ethos of integrated education is driven by the board of governors (a subset of parents) and the principal.
In the case of the school my kids attend I let myself get put forward for membership on the board of governors. I resigned after less than one term and I wont go into particular reasons why, but lets just say I have a good insight into how this particular school runs and it is not something I wanted to be associated with. GAA is seen by a large majority, IMO, of the protestant community as being associated with republicans/ira/terrorism.

My eldest in P4 had never had GAA in any way until I fought tooth and nail for it this year and eventually it has been brought in as of the beginning of this term. They are getting GAA once a week in P4 - P7. Given that the majority of kids in this school are from catholic or mixed marriage backgrounds I find it appalling. When I first sent my kids to the school, the then principal made it clear that if you had any misgiving about your child playing or learning about Gaelic/Rugby/The Queen/ St Patrick etc...then integrated education was no place for you. This went some way to allaying the misgivings I had about integrated education. This school has since got a new Principal, who I am reliably informed, had banned Gaelic in their previous school and had to have their decision overturned by the board of governors.

I know this all sounds like a bit of a personal rant, and it kind of is, but it just shows to me that given what has happened in Omagh the situation is not unique. I'm not saying the likes of Wullie didn't have a hand in it, but at the end of the day integrated schools are meant to be run by parents and as such all these types of decisions are made by a combination of parents/board of governors/principal. They are also meant to be inclusive of all regardless of religion, race, social, or political background. For me this particular incident does not meet the ethos of integrated education.

If I had it to do again, I wouldnt send my kids through integrated education, even though my wife teaches in that sector and they seem to have better and more facilities than all the other schools in our area. The idea of it is good, the reality of it is not, as it's only ever going to be as integrated as the least tolerant/integrated of parents in the school.

lawnseed

Seems like the intergrated schools are considered prod by the parents of prod kids enrolled there..
Truth is.alot of them dont have a choice about sending their kids there such is the state of the prod schools system due to falling numbers
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

brokencrossbar1

tbrick18, I know that is your personal experience but mine is different.  My 2 youngest go to an Integrated School (which is still called by some 'pillars of the community' as 'thon Protestant school').   They do all the sacrements in conjunction with another local school as they have a small number.  I personally go in and coach Gaelic and there are 2 others lads who do PE with them who are from very strong Gaelic backgrounds.  They don't have a school team but they openly encourage a broad spectrum of interests from both 'sides'.  It is mainly RC but there is a fair mix of Eastern Europeans, Scandanavians and Africans as well  as a few odd English ones :P  I have never had any sense that I was stepping on toes or that I was out of kilter with the ethos of the school, and let me be clear the Headmistress is from a very Unionist background with her father being a Reverand (not sure which kind).  They are very aware of the reality of their existence,  it is about 60:40 in favour of RC so maybe it is a survival issue but it has never come across like that.  The level of teaching they get is second to none and unless I had to the kids will stay there.

armaghniac

The concept on an "integrated" school that excludes such things as the GAA or the Irish Language is a nonsense. There should be some accreditation process for the use of the term integrated and the GAA must ensure that it is included in this.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

hairyUlsterman

Unionist people seem to have no problem using our clans red hand anyway, northern ireland would shrivel your brain so it would, screaming into pillow material.

revsperminute

Wonder what the reaction to Ravenhill naming rights being sold by Ulster rugby to Kingspan be? Ravenhill will now be know as Kingspan Stadium............ But sure Kingspan is very closely linked to the GAA.... Kingspan Breffni Park in Cavan town and Cavan GAA sponsored by Kinspan.... Going by the reaction to a few PE tops in a school having a little logo sure the out cry will be massive towards Kingspan.... It'll be interesting