Donegal V Antrim

Started by J70, June 01, 2014, 08:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

Didnt know that was Jigger o`Connor lad from Roscommon, his dad was a fair footballer, alot taller to lol

Maguire01

It looked like Division 1 vs Division 4 in that second half. Which is exactly what it was. Donegal have unearthed a couple of tidy new players.

J70

Toye, MacNiallais, O'Connor and McLoone scored 2-10 from play.

Murphy, McFadden and McBrearty scored 0-2 from play. (We were brutal from place kicks today too)

Some change from last year!

thebuzz

Quote from: J70 on June 22, 2014, 04:11:44 PM

Murphy, McFadden and McBrearty scored 0-2 from play. (We were brutal from place kicks today too)

When the big stars play badly and you still win that's the sign of a good team.

orange

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on June 22, 2014, 03:42:01 PM
Donegal remind me of the early 00s Armagh teams. 1 great forward (Murphy/McConville), 1 hugely overrated forward (McFadden/McDonnell) and then a bunch of big men who hit hard and late.
Never heard mcdonnell refered to as being overrated, lol, 1 of the best forwards to have played the game, unmarkable in 02 and 03, and got player of year in 03 even tho didn't win sam!! As for hitting hard, yip I agree,  as for late, I dont agree!
Mind you antrim remind me if dublin teams of early 00s - no balls!!!!

Walter Cronc

Quote from: orange on June 22, 2014, 04:22:48 PM
Donegal remind me of the early 00s Armagh teams. 1 great forward (Murphy/McConville), 1 hugely overrated forward (McFadden/McDonnell) and then a bunch of big men who hit hard and late.
Never heard mcdonnell refered to as being overrated, lol, 1 of the best forwards to have played the game, unmarkable in 02 and 03, and got player of year in 03 even tho didn't win sam!! As for hitting hard, yip I agree,  as for late, I dont agree!
Mind you antrim remind me if dublin teams of early 00s - no balls!!!!

This Dub obviously wasn't in Croker for the qualifier game between Dublin and Armagh in 03!! Stevie McDonnell ran riot!!

jmk

Dear me Ronan Clarke, Diarmaid Marsden and the McEntees dismissed as big men who hit hard and late is beyond ridiculous never mind the overrated comment about Stevie.

J70

Lads, ignore that eejit/WUM (whichever it is) and don't turn this into a Dublin-Armagh thread.

Maguire01

Did you play many D4 teams last year?

Whitnail

Obviously MacNiallais and O'Connor who have been young bit players   mostly getting 10 mins here and there were very impressive  today in the second half.
Big relief for Donegal football that  and you can only hope they will  keep progressing .

But that first half is the contrast to where we are at. Without naming names we  still have a fair few  average midfield players who can struggle with passing under pressure and sometimes fairly basic ball control . This is evident in the first half of games (unlike the second half where there is a defined cavalier 'go for broke'game plan where players are happy to take  risks and be positive) .

The fact we concede so many turnovers and are so easily dispossessed in midfield in the first half  of games means that we will always rely heavily on this third quarter blitz to get us out of trouble.

Last year against Mayo and twice against Monaghan there simply was no second half blitz.... a combination of fatigue maybe, but more the fact that it just wasn't allowed.

We have to sort this out cause if we don't we will go in at half-time 6 or 7 points down against decent teams.

Not worried about McFadden he will come good again imo.

J70

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 22, 2014, 05:00:27 PM

Did you play many D4 teams last year?

True, but that is not the whole story. They did well against Div 1 finalists Derry too and had a good league. Bigger tests await, of course.

J70

Quote from: Whitnail on June 22, 2014, 05:00:38 PM
Obviously MacNiallais and O'Connor who have been young bit players   mostly getting 10 mins here and there were very impressive  today in the second half.
Big relief for Donegal football that  and you can only hope they will  keep progressing .

But that first half is the contrast to where we are at. Without naming names we  still have a fair few  average midfield players who can struggle with passing under pressure and sometimes fairly basic ball control . This is evident in the first half of games (unlike the second half where there is a defined cavalier 'go for broke'game plan where players are happy to take  risks and be positive) .

The fact we concede so many turnovers and are so easily dispossessed in midfield in the first half  of games means that we will always rely heavily on this third quarter blitz to get us out of trouble.

Last year against Mayo and twice against Monaghan there simply was no second half blitz.... a combination of fatigue maybe, but more the fact that it just wasn't allowed.

We have to sort this out cause if we don't we will go in at half-time 6 or 7 points down against decent teams.

Not worried about McFadden he will come good again imo.

I don't recall too many turnovers in midfield. We struggled at times, for sure, in the last third, where Murphy and McFadden were double and triple marked, and simply crowded out. Even so, we missed a rake of chances in the first half that should have left us a few points up at the half. And don't forget we were without our two first choice midfielders for most of the game.
I hope McFadden comes good. We will need him. He hasn't performed to his capabilities since the Down game last year. McBrearty needs to start swinging a few over the bar too.

Syferus

Quote from: J70 on June 22, 2014, 03:28:20 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 22, 2014, 03:26:12 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 22, 2014, 03:23:41 PM
Quote from: babarino on June 22, 2014, 03:13:48 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 22, 2014, 02:52:08 PM

Just a tad!

We still have had more than enough chances to be a few points up though.

Monaghan won't be too worried by what they've seen so far.

We're not discounting Armagh.

I know, but given their situation you'll be even hotter favourites, if that is possible.

Everyone knows Donegal are fully capable of beating Monaghan. The questions about either team won't be answered by winning the likely Ulster final, that will only come when August rolls around and Jones' Road looms large.

We haven't beaten Monaghan since 1983.

Two AIs say more about where Donegal have been in the last thirty years than a few games against Monaghan.

Monaghan still have much more to prove than Donegal. If this team never wins another Ulster they will always be remembered. Monaghan have still to scale anything close to the heights of 2011-12.

Armagh might even render the question moot. I just don't think there will be any strong favourite in a Donegal-Monaghan final.

J70

Quote from: Syferus on June 22, 2014, 05:53:45 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 22, 2014, 03:28:20 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 22, 2014, 03:26:12 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 22, 2014, 03:23:41 PM
Quote from: babarino on June 22, 2014, 03:13:48 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 22, 2014, 02:52:08 PM

Just a tad!

We still have had more than enough chances to be a few points up though.

Monaghan won't be too worried by what they've seen so far.

We're not discounting Armagh.

I know, but given their situation you'll be even hotter favourites, if that is possible.

Everyone knows Donegal are fully capable of beating Monaghan. The questions about either team won't be answered by winning the likely Ulster final, that will only come when August rolls around and Jones' Road looms large.

We haven't beaten Monaghan since 1983.

Two AIs say more about where Donegal have been in the last thirty years than a few games against Monaghan.

Monaghan still have much more to prove than Donegal. If this team never wins another Ulster they will always be remembered. Monaghan have still to scale anything close to the heights of 2011-12.

Armagh might even render the question moot. I just don't think there will be any strong favourite in a Donegal-Monaghan final.

Of course! I was being slightly tongue-in-cheek. Where it might matter would be were we to find ourselves a couple of points up near the end, nervously trying to hold off a Monaghan comeback, similar to where Monaghan found themselves late in their match with Tyrone, when they almost blew a game in which they were clearly the superior team.

We've only played them sporadically since the 80s - 1995, 2007, 2008 and last year. 1995 and last year they caught us on the hop (injuries and energy played a big part last year too). That won't happen this time, when Monaghan, assuming they make it, will start as favourites, and Donegal will be very motivated. However, as Tyrone have found against us over the last few years, just because you've been on a losing streak and you're well up for the game does not mean you're going to be able to pull it off. Some teams just don't match up well.

Main Street

Well done to Donegal, they looked formidable are actually ARE the warm favourites to regain the Ulster title.

You'll have to put a lid on your excitement J70, cease your seductive tactics and wait another week (at least) before pondering out loud about the nature of certain match-ups in the final.
ATM, it's Donegal v Armagh or Monaghan.