Leinster Championship (Proper)

Started by johnneycool, May 30, 2014, 01:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Asal
Happy those who have not seen and yet believe. Big improvement on last year.

Canalman

Excellent comeback. Great last ten minutes after a scrappy spiteful game.

Would think every player has to bring a spare helmet given the amount of times in modern game the helmet is targeted to I presume upset the rhythm of the opponent.

Sheedy

what a finish. galway looked dead and buried with 10 to go. brilliant character to keep going. the last 2 points of the game were a joy to watch. credit to both teams.
nil satis nisi optimum

Asal Mor

Quote from: seafoid on June 22, 2014, 06:01:55 PM
Asal

Powerful stuff seafoid. It does the heart good to see Galway playing like that, even before the dramatic comeback at the end. It's night time over here and I woke the missus up(and probably the neighbours) with my euphoric roaring in the last 2 minutes. God knows what the replay will bring, but today was one to cherish regardless.

seafoid

Quote from: Asal Mor on June 22, 2014, 06:39:10 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 22, 2014, 06:01:55 PM
Asal

Powerful stuff seafoid. It does the heart good to see Galway playing like that, even before the dramatic comeback at the end. It's night time over here and I woke the missus up(and probably the neighbours) with my euphoric roaring in the last 2 minutes. God knows what the replay will bring, but today was one to cherish regardless.
Great character there at the end to turn it around. That sort of match experience is priceless. It does the heart good alright.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 22, 2014, 05:58:43 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 22, 2014, 05:37:15 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 22, 2014, 05:30:34 PM
Fennelly fouled the ball there again.

Don't fecking watch it ya header!!
either apply the rules or don't
the ball never leaves his hand when he hits it off the hurley.

It's down to the referee to call it, it's been happening for a while, and you have the luxury of television to see it from different angles the referee doesn't. I've noticed a lot of underage hurlers doing it now in certain clubs in Antrim, not sure if it's being coached but I've (I'm a referee) blown them up for it if I see it, it's over carrying basically and they say' I've tapped in on the stick', but as you say they aren't releasing the ball.

But great game and Kilkenny don't lose replays too often
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Asal Mor

The qualifier draw has raised the stakes even higher for the replay . The losers will take on Tipp in Thurles a week later. 

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 22, 2014, 06:57:20 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 22, 2014, 05:58:43 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 22, 2014, 05:37:15 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 22, 2014, 05:30:34 PM
Fennelly fouled the ball there again.

Don't fecking watch it ya header!!
either apply the rules or don't
the ball never leaves his hand when he hits it off the hurley.

It's down to the referee to call it, it's been happening for a while, and you have the luxury of television to see it from different angles the referee doesn't. I've noticed a lot of underage hurlers doing it now in certain clubs in Antrim, not sure if it's being coached but I've (I'm a referee) blown them up for it if I see it, it's over carrying basically and they say' I've tapped in on the stick', but as you say they aren't releasing the ball.

But great game and Kilkenny don't lose replays too often

I'm not so sure as Galways hurling was a bit off initially but they hit a good patch where the ball was sticking and going to the intended targets. This game will bring them on for the replay. They have no reason to fear Kilkenny and Cody has always feared Galway throughout his tenure as they're unpredictable beasts.

The much maligned Cunningham got most of his match ups right. Paul Murphy was really struggling under the high ball with the big awkward Flynn lad (might actually have been Glynn the more I think of it), granted balls hit into space Murphy ate up as usual. Tannian did rightly lying back in front of the fullback line and providing that physical presence to put the runners backwards.
Mr Andy Smyth did what he does best, work his arse off and takes no prisoners, he'd didn't back down from Tyrrell even if you'd know Tyrrell would eat him up and shíte him out. He set the tempo and agenda for Galway and they need him and a few others like him to do the spade work.
In saying that Richie Hogan needs stopped if you've any grand designs of beating this Kilkenny team, he's their engine room at the minute and provider in chief for the rest. How you stop him is another thing entirely.
Joe seemed to relish that bit more freedom out the field and his greater involvement in general play. He was very unlucky with a great goal chance well saved by Murphy.
At the other end Callanan did not impress me at all and IMO two of those KK goals were saveable. He was going backwards when Larkin mis-hit his one, he should have come charging out once it was obvious Larkin was striking it. I presume the big lad who did goals in the AI final in 2012 has left the panel, but he had a set of balls on him to take on anything and anyone who came into his zone, Callanan doesn't have that presence it seems.

I can see Cody starting Brian Hogan in centre back with Tyrrell being sent back into the defence to stop the catching in there, so Cunningham will need to do something different as well to prevent Richie Hogan bossing midfield.

IMO its still in the balance, Galway have still got the ability to beat this Kilkenny team who know for some its their last horrah.
Interesting times still in hurling.

waterfordlad

Brilliant 2nd half. The first half with good too with plenty physical battles and 6 yellow cards given but when the game opened up in 2nd half it was great stuff with a finish that Hollywood would have said was too far fetched. Galway could have given up as 9 points down with 4 minutes to go but went for goals and deserved the draw for their character which has often been questioned. Cody won't be happy at conceding 5 goals and losing such a big lead but all the fans will look forward to the replay. Hopefully it will be on tv.

Derrybrien Forever

;D

Savage stuff...

Watching the likes of Tannian, Collins, Smith and Canning yesterday would bring joy to your heart.

seafoid

Quote from: Derrybrien Forever on June 23, 2014, 09:57:36 AM
;D

Savage stuff...

Watching the likes of Tannian, Collins, Smith and Canning yesterday would bring joy to your heart.
so would this
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/galway-dig-deep-to-produce-crazy-finale-against-kilkenny-1.1841710?page=2
. But there will still time for Shefflin to make us wonder would we ever see a player like him again. And for Canning to remind us that we already can.

Asal Mor

Callanan didn't have a great day Johnney. He's a talented keeper and he'd a great league where he saved much more difficult shots than the ones that went past him yesterday. His puck outs were very good though. Hopefully he'll be back on shot stopping form for the replay. Skehill left the panel alright, and afaik hasn't returned.

Agree that we need to stop Hogan and TJ Reid too. Maybe Johnny Coen could do the man marking job on Hogan. He'd have the pace anyway. Joseph Cooney could come in at wing - back to compete with TJ on puck outs. He'd a great cameo at the end yeserday, and similar to Conor Cooney and Glynn, he looks to have improved a lot. It'll be interesting to see if Glynn starts because he already has a pattern of doing much better off the bench. Hopefully Smyth is ok. We need his aggression and workrate.

You'd imagine Galway will go looking for goals again the next day. When Joe started running at them through the middle, we looked really dangerous, so hoping to see more of that the next day. We scored 5 and Murphy made 2 good saves and 1 great one, so our fears about the forward line were way off.

Very encouraged by yesterday, but we'll have to beat Kilkenny or else Tipp at home to stay in the championship, so it's fingers crossed again. And as a Galway fan, you're always worried that they'll come out the next day, be totally limp, and get blown away. There's no reason why that should happen, but it's always something you'd fear with Galway. The All-Ireland looks wide open again. There's nothing between the top 6 or 7 teams, so please God let Galway win next week, and we can all look forward to Tipp v Kilkenny in Thurles.

seafoid

Quote from: Asal Mor on June 23, 2014, 02:20:16 PM
Callanan didn't have a great day Johnney. He's a talented keeper and he'd a great league where he saved much more difficult shots than the ones that went past him yesterday. His puck outs were very good though. Hopefully he'll be back on shot stopping form for the replay. Skehill left the panel alright, and afaik hasn't returned.

Agree that we need to stop Hogan and TJ Reid too. Maybe Johnny Coen could do the man marking job on Hogan. He'd have the pace anyway. Joseph Cooney could come in at wing - back to compete with TJ on puck outs. He'd a great cameo at the end yeserday, and similar to Conor Cooney and Glynn, he looks to have improved a lot. It'll be interesting to see if Glynn starts because he already has a pattern of doing much better off the bench. Hopefully Smyth is ok. We need his aggression and workrate.

You'd imagine Galway will go looking for goals again the next day. When Joe started running at them through the middle, we looked really dangerous, so hoping to see more of that the next day. We scored 5 and Murphy made 2 good saves and 1 great one, so our fears about the forward line were way off.

Very encouraged by yesterday, but we'll have to beat Kilkenny or else Tipp at home to stay in the championship, so it's fingers crossed again. And as a Galway fan, you're always worried that they'll come out the next day, be totally limp, and get blown away. There's no reason why that should happen, but it's always something you'd fear with Galway. The All-Ireland looks wide open again. There's nothing between the top 6 or 7 teams, so please God let Galway win next week, and we can all look forward to Tipp v Kilkenny in Thurles.

They'll have to work on the consistency through the 0 minutes but they have more of a 2012 feel about them intensity wise so fingers crossed.
It's open enough this year. The cats are not who they were and the chasers are nothing special. 

johnneycool

Any talk of the replay being televised?

AZOffaly

Not going to be televised. See this from Breaking news.
Sky deal means no TV slot for Kilkenny and Galway replay

24/06/2014 - 12:12:16Back to Sport Home
It's been reported the much anticipated replay between Galway and Kilkenny on Saturday evening will not be shown on television.
The two sides played out a 3-22 to 5-16 draw on Sunday - in a game which was lit up by a remarkable eight-minute, 3-03 comeback from the Tribesmen to level in time added on.
The thriller featured hurling superstars Henry Shefflin of Kilkenny and Galway's Joe Canning trading spectacular injury time points setting up the replay fixed for Tullamore, by the Leinster Council, at 7pm this Saturday evening.

This timing would seem to have ended any hope of RTÉ broadcasting the game on either of their channels as they are reportedly contracted not to show games at the same time as Sky Sports until the All-Ireland semi-finals.
Sky Sports are locked in to show the Ulster football semi-final clash of Armagh and Monaghan at that time, putting an end to hopes of seeing the hurling replay.
RTÉ and TV3 would have been in the same position with their deal with the GAA in previous seasons.
RTÉ were faced with a similar situation two weeks ago when Cork and Waterford went to a replay, however the station had already selected Mayo v Roscommon as well as Dublin v Laois for their Sunday Game coverage.
Unable to show the game live the national broadcaster decided to offer the game through their online platform, but at the time of writing it is yet to be seen if they can do that again on Saturday.
With the lack of TV pictures one would expect there to be a bumper crowd heading for the Offaly venue on Saturday and if the game provides half the entertainment of last week's encounter it may just be worth the reduced ticket price.

This story is more bullshit, especially it's dig at the 'Sky' deal. As they say themselves in the middle of the article, the exact same position would have been the case last year with the TV3 deal.

What the story doesn't say is that RTE could show the game at 5pm if they want, but they don't want to because of soccer and horse racing being on. RTE offered to show it at half 2 or something, but Galway and Kilkenny said piss off. It just annoys me the way the media present this stuff, and morons lap it up.