Who needs a goalie to take 45s?

Started by armaghniac, May 28, 2014, 07:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: anfheardubh on May 29, 2014, 05:50:13 PM
Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on May 29, 2014, 05:11:59 PM
Quote from: PAULD123 on May 29, 2014, 10:01:21 AM
Cluxton jogs up to his 45's and it probably adds about 10-15 seconds. But that is not the end of the world. But I disagree about Morgan. He is out of his goals the second the umpire raises his arm. I don't think Morgan holds up things hardly at all.

For Morgan's first 45 on Saturday evening, there was a lapse of exactly 50 seconds between the ball going out and Morgan kicking the ball. I got bored after that.

yip slows the game down and its pretty pathetic that an intercounty footballer cant kick a ball of air over from 40 odd metres

Just shows how some of the skill are not being coached properly

Cluxton took  70 odd seconds in the AI FINAL IN 2011 and the ref did add any time   A  JOKE

In the history of gaelic football, teams have always had one, maybe two, designated free-takers.
When Brian Stafford was taking the frees for us back in the day, I never once found myself thinking, 'Jesus, you'd think Colm O'Rourke would take the odd one if he was any use.'
Anyway, the keepers only kick frees from 40m or further out.
Brogan and McCurry take all the close to mid-range frees for Dublin & Tyrone, for example.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

blewuporstuffed

If they are the best person on the team at executing that skill, then its irrelevant what position they play.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

armaghniac

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on May 30, 2014, 12:06:43 PM
If they are the best person on the team at executing that skill, then its irrelevant what position they play.

It does if they take all day to take the free.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

supersarsfields

Quote from: armaghniac on May 30, 2014, 01:02:47 PM

As has been pointed out you chatting a max of about 15-20 seconds extra. You'd need to be a right humpy b@astard to be giving out about that. But some people are only happy if they're complaining. Instead of enjoying the kicking you are trying really hard to find a fault.

anfheardubh

Quote from: supersarsfields on May 30, 2014, 02:45:45 PM

As has been pointed out you chatting a max of about 15-20 seconds extra. You'd need to be a right humpy b@astard to be giving out about that. But some people are only happy if they're complaining. Instead of enjoying the kicking you are trying really hard to find a fault.

Well i must be a grumpy bastxxd  , it really bloody annoys me FULL STOP, the quick free in to a corner forward, for him to tap the ball over is all but gone Pity
For many are called, but few are chosen.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

trueblue1234

Quote from: anfheardubh on May 30, 2014, 02:55:53 PM

Well i must be a grumpy bastxxd  , it really bloody annoys me FULL STOP, the quick free in to a corner forward, for him to tap the ball over is all but gone Pity

You'd prefer a tap over to a 45 of the ground? Each to their own I suppose.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

anfheardubh

Quote from: trueblue1234 on May 30, 2014, 03:45:39 PM
Quote from: anfheardubh on May 30, 2014, 02:55:53 PM

You'd prefer a tap over to a 45 of the ground? Each to their own I suppose.

teams need to mix it up a bit , i would have a pint drunk quicker than a keeper taking a free

STAY IN THEIR BOX STAY IN THEIR BOX ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
For many are called, but few are chosen.

Gael85

Quote from: Michael Schmeichal on May 30, 2014, 10:52:38 AM
Quote from: PAULD123 on May 30, 2014, 07:23:04 AM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on May 30, 2014, 04:23:24 AM
Quote from: anfheardubh on May 29, 2014, 05:50:13 PM
Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on May 29, 2014, 05:11:59 PM
Quote from: PAULD123 on May 29, 2014, 10:01:21 AM
Cluxton jogs up to his 45's and it probably adds about 10-15 seconds. But that is not the end of the world. But I disagree about Morgan. He is out of his goals the second the umpire raises his arm. I don't think Morgan holds up things hardly at all.

For Morgan's first 45 on Saturday evening, there was a lapse of exactly 50 seconds between the ball going out and Morgan kicking the ball. I got bored after that.

yip slows the game down and its pretty pathetic that an intercounty footballer cant kick a ball of air over from 40 odd metres

Just shows how some of the skill are not being coached properly

Cluxton took  70 odd seconds in the AI FINAL IN 2011 and the ref did add any time   A  JOKE

Just curious, did you time the Kerry free takers in that game too?   How did the time they took compare to the time taken by Cluxton?

i timed a few of the Kerry frees in that match just to see how Cluxton compared. Kerry took a lot of frees from the hands and Gooch does not hang about. His average time from whistle being blown to kicking the ball was just over 20 seconds. But these were mostly close in and easily kickable. I think you have to allow for the fact that Cluxton only ever takes difficult frees. And people do take longer for those ones.

As for Morgan taking 50 seconds to get a kick in the other night, I think that pretty much meets my expectation of his added time. A 50 from umpire lifting his arm to the kick being taken is around 30 seconds. So Morgan added 15-20 seconds to that. Not an awful lost really over the course of a game.

Brian Sheehan took over a minute to tale a free in the middle of the second half. At the time Kerry looked like they were coasting. I'd say if he had a chance to take it again he'd speed it up a small bit.

[/b]

and Sheehan had to cheek to query Dublin time wasting in that game in 2011 when it took him over a minute to take a free when 10 minutes to go in game. Also Sheehan in last year Munster Final nearly 2 minutes to take a free at the end.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/sheehan-queries-time-free-taking-goalies-get-230108.html

armaghniac

Quote from: Gael85 on May 30, 2014, 04:16:02 PM

Brian Sheehan took over a minute to tale a free in the middle of the second half. At the time Kerry looked like they were coasting. I'd say if he had a chance to take it again he'd speed it up a small bit.

and Sheehan had to cheek to query Dublin time wasting in that game in 2011 when it took him over a minute to take a free when 10 minutes to go in game. Also Sheehan in last year Munster Final nearly 2 minutes to take a free at the end.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/sheehan-queries-time-free-taking-goalies-get-230108.html

Taking a bit of time with the free is one thing, walking about the field is time wasting.
I can't see Paul Hearty saying to Oisin, get out of the road there Oisin, I'll take this one.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: armaghniac on May 30, 2014, 07:25:47 PM
Quote from: Gael85 on May 30, 2014, 04:16:02 PM

Taking a bit of time with the free is one thing, walking about the field is time wasting.
I can't see Paul Hearty saying to Oisin, get out of the road there Oisin, I'll take this one.

Seeing as Oisin is the manager these days that is a moot point!

blewuporstuffed

Morgan kicked an absolute monster last night in the club championship (he was playing at 11 for his club)
just about inside the halfway line, i would say it was around 60m.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

orangeman

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on June 02, 2014, 08:51:27 AM
Morgan kicked an absolute monster last night in the club championship (he was playing at 11 for his club)

I heard it was half way.

AQMP

I noticed in the Antrim game yesterday at one stage in the second half Antrim had a 45, there was an Antrim player receiving treatment on the 45 a couple of metres from where the 45 was being hit. The Antrim player (I think it was Tomas McCann) was waiting for the injured Antrim player to be treated as he was in his line of run up (sort of).  The ref blew him up for taking too long over the 45.  There was no way he took as along as had a keeper been hitting it.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: hardstation on June 02, 2014, 08:53:02 AM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on June 02, 2014, 08:51:27 AM
Jaysus, that's late for a football game.
Thats the way they do things in tyrone now, you can get away with more under the cover of darkness  ;)