Fermanagh V Antrim (1 June 2014) Enniskillen

Started by ck, May 27, 2014, 11:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucifer

The Irish News done probable line ups in the paper yesterday and the potential contest between the Antrim HF line (Conor Murray, Niblock and Tomas McCann) and the Fermanagh HB line (McElroy, McCluskey and D McCusker) could go a long way to deciding the outcome.  As is the norm now though, we rarely get the 1 v 1 contests of old.  All the same, I expect as open and high scoring of contest as we will see all year in Ulster.  McGrath didn't change his ways when faced with a potent Roscommon attack in Brewster, and I can't see him doing it now for a team with less attacking quality than Roscommon (whilst McCluskey might try to provide some cover, he won't sit.)  Mark Sweeney might perform a similar role for Antrim, but given our porous nature at the back during the league I'd expect Antrim to play an attacking brand of football as well (as seemed to be the case during their league campaign?)

Getting Sean Quigley back into the fold was key for us, Barry Owens was only a stop gap full forward in reality.  He can, and I believe will, be the difference for Fermanagh.  Provided we don't concede a glut of goals that is (I have bad visions of Tomas McCann blazing straight down the heart of our defence.)

Gold

£20 into stand is a bit of a joke. Cant see too many champagne moments worth that entrance fee  :o
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

imtommygunn

Quote from: Lucifer on May 28, 2014, 11:39:52 PM
The Irish News done probable line ups in the paper yesterday and the potential contest between the Antrim HF line (Conor Murray, Niblock and Tomas McCann) and the Fermanagh HB line (McElroy, McCluskey and D McCusker) could go a long way to deciding the outcome.  As is the norm now though, we rarely get the 1 v 1 contests of old.  All the same, I expect as open and high scoring of contest as we will see all year in Ulster.  McGrath didn't change his ways when faced with a potent Roscommon attack in Brewster, and I can't see him doing it now for a team with less attacking quality than Roscommon (whilst McCluskey might try to provide some cover, he won't sit.)  Mark Sweeney might perform a similar role for Antrim, but given our porous nature at the back during the league I'd expect Antrim to play an attacking brand of football as well (as seemed to be the case during their league campaign?)

Getting Sean Quigley back into the fold was key for us, Barry Owens was only a stop gap full forward in reality.  He can, and I believe will, be the difference for Fermanagh.  Provided we don't concede a glut of goals that is (I have bad visions of Tomas McCann blazing straight down the heart of our defence.)

Baker is usually quite defensive so I'm not convinced we'll play an attacking brand of football.

macdanger2

Quote from: ck on May 28, 2014, 10:07:41 PM
Odds have changed. Fermanaghs odds have shortened. Must be money going on them

Haven't checked WH or Boyles but 4/9 still on PP.

From the outside, I would have thought those are very generous odds on Fermanagh

ck

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 29, 2014, 01:29:37 PM

Baker is usually quite defensive so I'm not convinced we'll play an attacking brand of football.

Was it Baker who branded Jimmy McGuinness "puke football" and then played exactly the same way a week later?

Gold

Quote from: ck on May 30, 2014, 01:25:22 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 29, 2014, 01:29:37 PM

Was it Baker who branded Jimmy McGuinness "puke football" and then played exactly the same way a week later?

Baker is a genius.  ;D :D

Saffron Anglo Celt 2014
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

imtommygunn

Sure if it's good enough for Jose Mourinho...

Captain Obvious

McGrath names three debutants for Antrim clash

Twins Lee and Che Cullen along with Paul McCusker will make their championship debuts for Fermanagh on Sunday against Antrim after being named in Pete McGrath's starting 15.

Twins Lee and Che Cullen along with Paul McCusker will make their championship debuts for Fermanagh on Sunday against Antrim after being named in Pete McGrath's starting 15.
The Cullen duo have impressed during the league and have both been selected in the full back line alongside the experienced Johnny Woods although Lee played in the half forward line during the Division Three campaign.

Midfielder Richard O'Callaghan makes his first Ulster Championship start having previously been introduced as a late substitute against Derry in Celtic Park in 2011 and will partner captain Eoin Donnelly.
Ederney's Paul McCusker is another to be handed a championship debut and will line out in a half forward line that also includes Eamon Maguire and Ryan Jones.
Two time All Star full back Barry Owens has been named at full forward by McGrath where he will be flanked by Tomas Corrigan and Sean Quigley.

Fermanagh
C. Snow; J. Woods, C. Cullen, L. Cullen; D. McCusker, R. McCluskey, T. McElroy; Eoin Donnelly, R. O'Callaghan; E. Maguire, R. Jones, P. McCusker; T. Corrigan, B. Owens, S. Quigley.

http://t.co/tQPkWUDAxe

ck

Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 30, 2014, 09:14:07 PM
McGrath names three debutants for Antrim clash

The Cullen duo have impressed during the league and have both been selected in the full back line alongside the experienced Johnny Woods although Lee played in the half forward line during the Division Three campaign.

Midfielder Richard O'Callaghan makes his first Ulster Championship start having previously been introduced as a late substitute against Derry in Celtic Park in 2011 and will partner captain Eoin Donnelly.
Ederney's Paul McCusker is another to be handed a championship debut and will line out in a half forward line that also includes Eamon Maguire and Ryan Jones.
Two time All Star full back Barry Owens has been named at full forward by McGrath where he will be flanked by Tomas Corrigan and Sean Quigley.

Fermanagh
C. Snow; J. Woods, C. Cullen, L. Cullen; D. McCusker, R. McCluskey, T. McElroy; Eoin Donnelly, R. O'Callaghan; E. Maguire, R. Jones, P. McCusker; T. Corrigan, B. Owens, S. Quigley.

http://t.co/tQPkWUDAxe

That's a decent but pretty young team. What way have these lads been playing through the league. What sort of tactics does Pete McGrath use?

Don Corleone

He's from Down, rejected by them in favour of Wee James, but a Down man nonetheless.
He'll be innately dour, it's a Nordie thing. The history of football's decline into systems/dourness/negativity can be directly traced back to the "emergence" of Down and their historic triumph in 1960. For all the flamboyance and talent attached to Sean O'Neill/Paddy Doherty there remained the rugged aspects of their style, as epitomised by both McCartans, the full-back line of Lavery, Murphy and Rice...... They put the vaunted Tipperary f/b line of Doyle/Maher/Carey in the shade - and they were called "Hell's Kitchen"...

Don't rise me....
Why did you go to the police? Why didn't you come to me first?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Don Corleone on May 31, 2014, 01:36:47 AM
He's from Down, rejected by them in favour of Wee James, but a Down man nonetheless.
He'll be innately dour, it's a Nordie thing. The history of football's decline into systems/dourness/negativity can be directly traced back to the "emergence" of Down and their historic triumph in 1960. For all the flamboyance and talent attached to Sean O'Neill/Paddy Doherty there remained the rugged aspects of their style, as epitomised by both McCartans, the full-back line of Lavery, Murphy and Rice...... They put the vaunted Tipperary f/b line of Doyle/Maher/Carey in the shade - and they were called "Hell's Kitchen"...

Don't rise me....

Let it all out....
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Armaghgael

If in doubt.......take man and ball!

GrandMasterFlash

Zulu

Daft reply Indiana. No, it's not televised GMF.