Munster championship 2014

Started by waterfordlad, May 22, 2014, 01:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 09, 2014, 11:41:10 PM
Quote from: didlyi on June 09, 2014, 11:24:07 PM
If its alive from the lift as the referees say then players could charge any player taking any free not just a penalty. Its a mess and needs sorting asap.
The gaa have issued a press release that they will have interpretation of the rules sorted out by this weekend. Fair play to them for an unusual level of proactivity.

That's all well and good but there was also a directive about face guards in hurling, if a player interferes with a helmet deliberately it is a red card offence, was playing a Southy game last night and one of the lads of the other team ripped off one of our players helmets and fecked it over the fence!!! Now I don't  normally tell the referee he's out of order :P but when I challenged him on this he said nowt!! People put these new rules out and most club referees don't adhere to them ffs
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

orangeman

If its alive from the lift as the referees say then players could charge any player taking any free not just a penalty. Its a mess and needs sorting asap.
The gaa have issued a press release that they will have interpretation of the rules sorted out by this weekend. Fair play to them for an unusual level of proactivity.

It's great that this will be sorted out so soon. Gaa are not found wanting.

AZOffaly

It's hard to see that the GAA will allow this charging of the free taker, otherwise you'd be able to do it out the pitch as well. However I have great sympathy for the goalies and defenders on the line when someone like Nash is allowed lift the ball, throw it 10 metres closer, and run in after it to smack it at full power, while you're expected to stay on the line shaking like a child sent to the headmaster's office.

The fairest solution in my opinion, but may require a rule change, is that the ball has to be struck from behind the 20 metre line in a penalty. Similar to a puck out, where the ball is supposed to be struck inside the small square. You can start your run from wherever you want, or you can end up outside the square afterwards, but the strike has to be inside the square.

In a 20 metre free situation, if you said the taker can place the ball back behind the line if he wishes, but has to lift and strike before reaching the 20m line, then that should allow the likes of Nash to take advantage of his outrageous lift and strike skill and timing, but also allows the defenders some protection.

johnneycool

Franks been on the phone to Croke Park now that the current interpretation of the rule has negated the effect of Nash and TJ Reids lifting technique.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 10, 2014, 11:02:42 AM
It's hard to see that the GAA will allow this charging of the free taker, otherwise you'd be able to do it out the pitch as well. However I have great sympathy for the goalies and defenders on the line when someone like Nash is allowed lift the ball, throw it 10 metres closer, and run in after it to smack it at full power, while you're expected to stay on the line shaking like a child sent to the headmaster's office.

The fairest solution in my opinion, but may require a rule change, is that the ball has to be struck from behind the 20 metre line in a penalty. Similar to a puck out, where the ball is supposed to be struck inside the small square. You can start your run from wherever you want, or you can end up outside the square afterwards, but the strike has to be inside the square.

In a 20 metre free situation, if you said the taker can place the ball back behind the line if he wishes, but has to lift and strike before reaching the 20m line, then that should allow the likes of Nash to take advantage of his outrageous lift and strike skill and timing, but also allows the defenders some protection.
Aye allow both or neither. My preference would be to keep the 20 metre free a free from 20 metres out, not the 10 that it currently is with the forward throw from Nash etc. Badly needs sorted before teams get too far into the championship that these things start to matter.

armaghniac

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 10, 2014, 11:02:42 AM

This would require clarity in the rules that the strike must be where the free was awarded, not the lift. So the freetaker might have to start a ways back.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

johnneycool

Stephen O'Keeffes leg after Sunday.

I think I can see the image of Jesus in there somewhere!

muppet

If this Nash interpretation of taking a free continues to be allowed, what is to stop a fella like Joe Canning lifting (throwing) the ball so it comes down 20 - 30 metres ahead and doubling it, thus making almost every free a shot on goal?
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Quote from: muppet on June 10, 2014, 02:35:31 PM
If this Nash interpretation of taking a free continues to be allowed, what is to stop a fella like Joe Canning lifting (throwing) the ball so it comes down 20 - 30 metres ahead and doubling it, thus making almost every free a shot on goal?

Nothing. That would be very hard to do though.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 10, 2014, 02:36:54 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 10, 2014, 02:35:31 PM

Nothing. That would be very hard to do though.

That's why I said Canning.  ;)
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

I'm not sure Canning is motoring so well these days. Not sure he'd catch up to it to be honest.

Asal Mor

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 10, 2014, 02:40:24 PM
I'm not sure Canning is motoring so well these days. Not sure he'd catch up to it to be honest.

;D Sadly, you're right AZ. 

Gabriel_Hurl

QuoteCROKE PARK CHIEFS have moved to address safety concerns around penalties in hurling by changing its rules.

Anthony Nash and other hurling stars will no longer be allowed to strike the ball within the 20m line. They will however be allowed to move the sliothar back up to 7m.

Waterford goalkeeper Stephen O'Keeffe bravely blocked a Nash shot on Sunday in his side's defeat to the Rebels, having run out as the Kanturk man lifted the ball.

"The players defending a penalty or free puck awarded on the centre point of the 20m line shall stand on their goal-line and may not move towards the 20m line until the ball has been actually struck," a GAA statement tonight reads. "Lifting the ball with the hurley does not constitute 'striking the ball'."

The changes will be in effect until next year's Congress.

AZOffaly

Jesus, I feel unwell. They did what I suggested.

CorkMan