Munster championship 2014

Started by waterfordlad, May 22, 2014, 01:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

A picture tells a thousand words:

If you'd like a couple of thousand words about the game, click here.

CorkMan

Quote from: deiseach on May 26, 2014, 09:15:47 PM

Brilliant goal but I cant see how no Crok player took him down.

waterfordlad

They couldn't get close enough to take him down! Brilliant goal.
Before the game I would have been happy with a good performance and keeping within maybe 6 points of Cork but after being 9 points up it was bad we didn't close out the win after never being behind in the game.
We'll have a few players back for replay though and have shown we have nothing to be afraid of. Cork were awful in the first half but in fairness rallied well in last 20 minutes or so.

Asal Mor

Good article deiseach and I was wondering too about whether there might be a fitness issue with the Waterford team. It was a serious fade-out and they were hanging on for the last 20.

Roashter

Surely the 2 week break will help Waterford as they had a number of players missing with injury.
O'Sullivan, Shanahan & Molumphy are all good players and if they can get some of these 3 back in, they would be a major addition.

On the other side it will be interesting to see if Paudie O'Sullivan can make it back. The Cork starting half-forward line only scored a single point in the entire game which is a truly miserable return so there are surely places up for grabs in their forward unit.

johnneycool

Quote from: Asal Mor on May 27, 2014, 09:33:38 AM
Good article deiseach and I was wondering too about whether there might be a fitness issue with the Waterford team. It was a serious fade-out and they were hanging on for the last 20.

You reckon this may have been down to a lack of collective training in the last few weeks?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: deiseach on May 26, 2014, 09:15:47 PM

Reminded me of Ryan Giggs going past the Arsenal defence in the FA Cup ;) 

Was a cracking score and the best you'll see this year I'd imagine
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Asal Mor

Quote from: johnneycool on May 27, 2014, 10:38:06 AM

You reckon this may have been down to a lack of collective training in the last few weeks?

I haven't a clue what's going on behind the scenes there Johnney to be honest, but they did look tired in the second half and the workrate dropped. I hadn't heard about their lack of training session until I read deiseach's article.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Asal Mor on May 27, 2014, 11:10:28 AM

I haven't a clue what's going on behind the scenes there Johnney to be honest, but they did look tired in the second half and the workrate dropped. I hadn't heard about their lack of training session until I read deiseach's article.

When you come out of the blocks like Waterford did there will always be a chance of fatigue setting in, and with them being understrength (not that it noticed in the first half) then the problem of do I put on 4/5 subs that will help keep the momentum or would it have brought the standard down? Hard to work out what's the best thing to do as a manager
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

Quote from: Asal Mor on May 27, 2014, 11:10:28 AM

It was in the press about a month ago that McGrath was letting them go back to their clubs and collective training was either stopped or greatly reduced, but you'd have thought the players with playing and training with their clubs and doing their extra programs on their own wouldn't have been too far away.

I got the impression at the time that McGraths hand was forced by Waterford CB, in a cost cutting measure more than anything else. although they had a warm weather training week away which I think the panel raised the funds for themselves.

With a young team, it'll take time until they adjust to the physicality of it as it'll take its toll too, probably why the likes of Gleeson was out on his feet. It'll take a while for the match fitness to get there.

AZOffaly

It was ironic that someone, can't remember who, tweeted that 'Is this a great endorsement of more club games and less training?' about 3 minutes before it started to turn sour on Waterford.

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 27, 2014, 12:07:53 PM
It was ironic that someone, can't remember who, tweeted that 'Is this a great endorsement of more club games and less training?' about 3 minutes before it started to turn sour on Waterford.

Ha, I remember saying something similar after Antrim managed to beat Wexford in the U-21 semi-final last year when Kevin Ryan was bemused as to how Antrim had managed such a win when their collective training was next to non-existent with half a dozen turning up one night.

I do think there is a balance to be struck, and smaller counties in particular can't neglect their clubs by wrapping the county teams up in cotton wool as the standard of club hurling drops considerably.

deiseach

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 27, 2014, 10:40:36 AM
Reminded me of Ryan Giggs going past the Arsenal defence in the FA Cup ;)

Don't recall Giggs shipping a shoulder like Gleeson did . . .

deiseach

Quote from: johnneycool on May 27, 2014, 12:06:39 PM
I got the impression at the time that McGraths hand was forced by Waterford CB, in a cost cutting measure more than anything else. although they had a warm weather training week away which I think the panel raised the funds for themselves.

I don't think there's any doubt that the lack of training sessions was a cost-cutting measure. My concern would be that Waterford fell apart in a similar manner in the corresponding fixture against Clare last year. If that's the pattern and not just a coincidence, something is seriously wrong.

johnneycool

Quote from: deiseach on May 27, 2014, 02:09:00 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on May 27, 2014, 12:06:39 PM

I don't think there's any doubt that the lack of training sessions was a cost-cutting measure. My concern would be that Waterford fell apart in a similar manner in the corresponding fixture against Clare last year. If that's the pattern and not just a coincidence, something is seriously wrong.

Do you need a shrink or motivational coach in the backroom staff as well?