Munster championship 2014

Started by waterfordlad, May 22, 2014, 01:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

That's actually what I was thinking of Premier Emporer :)

Roashter

Cork v Clare in 1986 final was also in Killarney I think.

I see that there was a large brawl in Dungarvan v Mount Sion game at weekend with Austin Gleeson getting a straight red. Do club suspensions still carry over to inter-county, or is the carry over only for really serious offences?

AZOffaly

It should only be in the grade received, unless it's one of the 48 week types.

heffo

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 22, 2015, 01:09:19 PM
It should only be in the grade received, unless it's one of the 48 week types.

Contributing to a melee is all grades and levels afaik..

Premier Emperor

Quote from: Roashter on June 22, 2015, 01:08:29 PM
Cork v Clare in 1986 final was also in Killarney I think.
That's right. It's a nightmare to get to when two counties are travelling West to get there.

AZOffaly

Final fixed for Thurles. Fair play to Waterford. The right message and they probably got a few euros for it too.

AZOffaly

Some photo here. Seamie stayed on at the end of the game and signed autographs and posed for selfies. Sometimes we forget these lads are by and large genuinely nice guys. We can all be critical, so no harm to remind ourselves that not only are they only human, but most of them are pretty decent humans too.

redsetanta

That is a serious capture by the photographer.

Would make other hurlers aware of the need for a gum shield when you see that happening. Don't think I would be hanging around after a game if I'd lost teeth like that. Meas mór to Callanan.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: redsetanta on June 24, 2015, 01:11:50 PM

Would make other hurlers aware of the need for a gum shield when you see that happening. Don't think I would be hanging around after a game if I'd lost teeth like that. Meas mór to Callanan.
Maybe if they didn't remove bars from their helmets?

Or use the special Tipp or Kilkenny faceguards that have passed no safety standard?

I've yet to see a referee implement the rules in relation to altered faceguards

Franko

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 25, 2015, 09:12:15 AM

Or use the special Tipp or Kilkenny faceguards that have passed no safety standard?

Has nothing to do with it at all.  Referees have enough to do without running around checking safety certificates for faceguards FFS.

Premier Emperor

Referees are not gym teachers checking to see if kids have the right colour soles on their runners!

johnneycool

Quote from: Premier Emperor on June 26, 2015, 11:21:16 AM

Referees are not gym teachers checking to see if kids have the right colour soles on their runners!

No, but if the insurance companies stop divvying up due to these rogue helmets, then we'd soon see a change of attitude.

FWIW,
       I don't think even the regulated helmets would have saved Callanan's teeth as they're fixed the exact same way, hinge at the top and two straps from the chin area, albeit they may allow a little more room between the faceguard and the nose/teeth area.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Franko on June 25, 2015, 12:36:27 PM

Has nothing to do with it at all.  Referees have enough to do without running around checking safety certificates for faceguards FFS.
Whose job is it so? A referee has a duty to protect the players
Not hard to stop a game and get a player to replace a faulty helmet

Franko

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 27, 2015, 08:29:47 AM
Quote from: Franko on June 25, 2015, 12:36:27 PM

Whose job is it so? A referee has a duty to protect the players
Not hard to stop a game and get a player to replace a faulty helmet

Wait til it happens - then you'll see how hard it is.  I don't know of many county panels that carry spare helmets.  And how's a referee to know if it's 'faulty' or not?  Does it come with a cert?  A tamper proof seal?  The main duty with regard to player protection lies with themselves.  Next you'll have a referee checking hurls for loose nails and sharp edges.

Regardless, as JC says - it would have made no difference to Callinan either way.  He's also correct WRT a change of attitude if insurance companies start to get their grubby fingers involved.  But nobody in their right mind would advocate that sort of mindset.  Get the right Health and Safety minded, pen-pushing monkey involved and they'd be looking to outlaw the sport altogether.