US colleges national championship 2014

Started by Eamonnca1, May 20, 2014, 08:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Montana Grizzlies HC are making the local TV news again. They're one of many teams heading for New York this weekend for the nationals.  For the first time this year it'll include football.  The numbers are looking big already:

7 hurling teams.
5 football teams.
39 games.
2 fields.

Considering there were only three hurling teams and no football teams at last year's event, this is a significant jump.  The reason for this little growth spurt is the organization of collegiate games in the Northeast where most of these football teams are based.  Montana and Cal deserve credit for making the long journey, about 3000 miles in the case of Cal, 2,300 miles in the case of Montana.  Cal will break the world record for the longest distance travelled to a game by a collegiate hurling team.

sligoman2

Good luck to all involved is this 7 a side?
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Eamonnca1

Football is 7-a-side. Hurling will be minimum 7-a-side up to 13-a-side depending on how many players are available for each game.

Oraisteach

Eamonn, your work in promoting GAA games at the US collegiate level is truly remarkable.  Can't praise you enough.

sligoman2

Well done eamon  i low a few of the kids that are playing tomorrow.  Great story out of Montana
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Ball Hopper

Great stuff, Eamonn. You really have found your calling within the GAA.

Eamonnca1

Thanks lads. Switching planes in Chicago here on the way back to California. Details and video will be on the web later, but in the meantime have a look at the NCGAA's FB page for updates, results and photos.

ballela-angel

That awkward moment - Not sure if you do have free time or if you're just forgetting everything!

Gabriel_Hurl

That's quite the yoga position that young lady is trying out there  :o

Eamonnca1

Eamonnca1

Indiana University v University of Connecticut.

Eamonnca1

Kean University, New Jersey v University of Pittsburgh

Eamonnca1

AZOffaly

I see a couple of CĂșltec hurleys there Eamonn I think. Would they be popular over there?

Eamonnca1

They last a bit longer so they're more economical (although I actually saw one broke this weekend!). They're also good for very hot and dry climates like in California where ash would dry out quickly and need maintenance to keep them moist. So yes they're popular.