Started by Dont Matter, May 20, 2014, 10:12:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 09, 2014, 01:37:08 PM
Quote from: laoislad on June 09, 2014, 11:07:39 AM
Quote from: The Aristocrat on June 09, 2014, 11:03:14 AM
Quote from: laoislad on June 08, 2014, 08:48:16 PM
Quote from: Ringfort on June 08, 2014, 05:53:42 PM
Molly Malone there over the tannoy at FT to a half empty stadium.
Yeah what the fcuk was that about?
Anything to keep the drunks on the Hill happy I suppose.
I'm sure the lovely Trudi Lalor would have got an airing if Laois won.....  ::)

Predictable result but a scoreline that maybe flattered Dublin.
Was delighted to see a Laois team go out and play and gave it their all. I honestly don't mind them losing when you know they gave it a proper go but were just beaten by a far superior team. Nothing worse than seeing them not giving a fcuk and throwing in the towel early on as has happened often with Laois. I thought we scored some superb points today as well, and a wonderful goalkeeping performance from young Brody as well.

They ran out of steam in the second half and the clusterfuck for the second goal finished them and the game.Dublin had another few gears they could have gone up if they really needed to.

Perhaps the song was played to wake up the drug abusers down from Laois, all a few hundred of them, as per recent reports, Laois has the highest level of drug abuse in the country. Oh sorry am I tarring all with the same brush.

They usually play a song for the winning team, sometimes its the boys are back in town, when Mayo beat Dublin in 2013 they played the saw doctors or some crap like that.

As for the game, Dublin only in strolling mode. Training game. Bigger fish to fry later in the year.
That's totally out of order saying that. You should be banned.
The Saw Doctors are not crap.
The Sawdoctors are not crap is right. Pity we didn't bate the Dublin hoors last year... :-X

Dublin players were told ahead of time if they lost then the Saw Doctors would be played over the tannoy.   There was no way they were going to let that happen.

Fuzzman

Got offered Prawn Sandwich tickets so I went along with a Dub pal.
I was expecting Laois to put it up to them in the first half but for Dublin to completely take over in teh second half and I wasn't too far wrong.
I was surprised how well Laois were taking their scores and how bad the marking was for a lot of it.
Having been to the first Down v Tyrone match and now watched this match the lack of excitement and intensity is amazing.
I said to my mate that in Ulster even the "so called" lesser teams tend to come and put up a fight. They get stuck in and rattle you and try to get in your face. With a lot of them now relying on the packed defence system so make it harder for the big team to win.
Someone on here said fair play to Laois for playing man to man and yes as a neutral it made it more entertaining to watch but it's also very naive

The main difference I see with Dublin's forwards these days is they constantly believe they can beat their man and go for goals. Often to their detriment. Kevin McManamon nearly always takes his man on and accelerates away and more often that not goes for goal. I was amazed how Laois did nothing to combat this.

Yes Dublin could probably have gone up a gear or three if they liked but you just knew it was inevitable. For those teams who have some hope of beating them I think it will come down to NOT playing them at open football but to swamp the defence and make it hard for them to penetrate
The problem then of course is how to you get scores yourself.

In the past I think dominant teams like Kerry and the Dubs struggled the most against Northern teams who showed them zero respect. I was thinking last night that in most people's eye Dublin have become untouchable now yet they really struggled to shake off Mayo last year who had not got great forwards. So what has changed since last Sept. Have Dublin got that much better or is it just in everyone's heads.
Have they got fitter and stronger or just more confident.
The one chink I can see is that their old problem of over confidence could catch them.
If they think they can let teams get a lead on them and then they can reign it in at will but maybe some day some team will pull away too much. If a team with a good sub bench can get a lead and then like the Dubs do unleash the new lads for another push then they could be caught out. Combine that with maybe build up a lead and then totally sit back and park 2 buses.

Interestingly after the game I went to a pub with my pal and in comes Connolly, Rock, McCarthy and a few others. I had a chat with them and they seemed in good "spirits". Jim must let them off the laois the odd time.

No sign of Philly McMahon though.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 09, 2014, 03:26:42 PM
I was expecting Laois to put it up to them in the first half but for Dublin to completely take over in teh second half and I wasn't too far wrong.
I was surprised how well Laois were taking their scores and how bad the marking was for a lot of it.
Having been to the first Down v Tyrone match and now watched this match the lack of excitement and intensity is amazing.
I said to my mate that in Ulster even the "so called" lesser teams tend to come and put up a fight. They get stuck in and rattle you and try to get in your face. With a lot of them now relying on the packed defence system so make it harder for the big team to win.
Someone on here said fair play to Laois for playing man to man and yes as a neutral it made it more entertaining to watch but it's also very naive

The main difference I see with Dublin's forwards these days is they constantly believe they can beat their man and go for goals. Often to their detriment. Kevin McManamon nearly always takes his man on and accelerates away and more often that not goes for goal. I was amazed how Laois did nothing to combat this.

Yes Dublin could probably have gone up a gear or three if they liked but you just knew it was inevitable. For those teams who have some hope of beating them I think it will come down to NOT playing them at open football but to swamp the defence and make it hard for them to penetrate

In the past I think dominant teams like Kerry and the Dubs struggled the most against Northern teams who showed them zero respect. I was thinking last night that in most people's eye Dublin have become untouchable now yet they really struggled to shake off Mayo last year who had not got great forwards. So what has changed since last Sept. Have Dublin got that much better or is it just in everyone's heads.
The one chink I can see is that their old problem of over confidence could catch them.
If they think they can let teams get a lead on them and then they can reign it in at will but maybe some day some team will pull away too much. If a team with a good sub bench can get a lead and then like the Dubs do unleash the new lads for another push then they could be caught out. Combine that with maybe build up a lead and then totally sit back and park 2 buses.

Interestingly after the game I went to a pub with my pal and in comes Connolly, Rock, McCarthy and a few others. I had a chat with them and they seemed in good "spirits". Jim must let them off the laois the odd time.

Philly is a non drinker and has his own business so Id imagine the boozer is the last place he wants to go

The Hill is Blue

Fine performance by Laois in the first half, but Dublin owned the second half the highlight of which was the first goal scored by Diarmuid Connolly with a class assist from Philly McMahon.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 09, 2014, 03:26:42 PM

The problem every team has playing Dublin is that the weakest aspect of the Dublin team is the defence and yet for teams to attack that they have to attack which leaves their defence open. The other aspect Dublin have which is missing for most teams is that Dublin tend to have 6 forwards who can score and 4 of them can score off either foot which makes it far harder to defend especially with scoring halfbacks who attack with immense pace.

Canalman

Imo we are far too reliant on one player. Big big trouble if Rory O'Carroll gets injured or hits bad form. The way we play leaves him isolated all the time and imo he carries the rest of the fullback line when it comes to defending.
Our lynchpin.

The rest of the team may be replaceable to a degree but not him.

Fancy Kildare to have a say in this year's championship. Jason Ryan is an exceptional manager.

Fuzzman

Johnny Cooper could play there no problem to him
Actually though RoC isn't comfortable when his man leaves the square and pulls him out all over the pitch

muppet

Was delighted to see a Laois team go out and play and gave it their all. I honestly don't mind them losing when you know they gave it a proper go but were just beaten by a far superior team. Nothing worse than seeing them not giving a fcuk and throwing in the towel early on as has happened often with Laois. I thought we scored some superb points today as well, and a wonderful goalkeeping performance from young Brody as well.

They ran out of steam in the second half and the clusterfuck for the second goal finished them and the game.Dublin had another few gears they could have gone up if they really needed to.

Perhaps the song was played to wake up the drug abusers down from Laois, all a few hundred of them, as per recent reports, Laois has the highest level of drug abuse in the country. Oh sorry am I tarring all with the same brush.

They usually play a song for the winning team, sometimes its the boys are back in town, when Mayo beat Dublin in 2013 they played the saw doctors or some crap like that.

As for the game, Dublin only in strolling mode. Training game. Bigger fish to fry later in the year.

F*ck I must have been really drunk, I thought it was the other way round.

Championes, championes!
MWWSI 2017

The Aristocrat

Quote from: muppet on June 10, 2014, 02:25:48 PM

Championes, championes!

2012 :0

Fair play to Laois, gave us a good game and didn't do a Donegal on it, played it the way it should. 

Fuzzman

Yeah Fair Play indeed
Ye should all do the same and lie down and roll over
Just accept yer gonna lose anyway so no point doing a Donegal on it and spoiling an entertaining game of football.

::) ::) ::)

As Brolly says it will be interesting to see if Donegal do get themselves back on track and how would Dublin manage playing such a style of football. At the moment playing Dublin at open man to man football is suicide but sure at least it's sporting.

Zulu

And drawing Dublin onto you is the only solution? Laois were in the game 10 minutes into the second half so who's to say if they had set up like Donegal they would have been in a different position either then or going into the last 5 minutes. Dublin have too many scoring options and players who are too strong to argue that a system like Donegal's would necessarily be more effective. Derry were right in there with a chance of beating Donegal, the same Derry annihilated by Dublin in the league final.

Dont Matter

A heroic effort from Laois against the professionals. Didn't deserve to lose by 11 but considering the huge gulf in resources/population etc it was about a 30 point victory for Laois.
Dubl$n will go on to win the Leinster and All Ireland. Yet more titles added to the list that will have an asterisk placed beside it but also more titles that will guarantee the splitting of Dubl$n!
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

haranguerer

Quote from: The Aristocrat on June 10, 2014, 02:41:41 PM

Championes, championes!

Fair play to Laois, gave us a good game and didn't do a Donegal on it, played it the way it should.

Short memories, there were two teams playing defensively that day.

The sooner people realise that scores dont automatically equal excitement, nor make a good game, the better.

Canalman

Quote from: haranguerer on June 11, 2014, 10:06:30 AM
Quote from: The Aristocrat on June 10, 2014, 02:41:41 PM

Championes, championes!

Short memories, there were two teams playing defensively that day.

The sooner people realise that scores dont automatically equal excitement, nor make a good game, the better.

No there wasn't. Donegal drew forwards back towards their own goals and Dublin  played the orthodox way leaving them heavily outnumbering the remnants of the Donegal forward line facing them.

Zulu

Spot on Canalman, how anyone can accuse Dublin of playing defensively in that game is beyond me.