Are Tyrone Finished

Started by anfheardubh, May 19, 2014, 06:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

Meath, Galway, Armagh and Down are all still wandering the wilderness. This idea that we sack Harte and "rebuilding" commences is just bullshit, stagnation and decline are the more likely options here.

Rebuilding is just a bullshit word. Admit that we are in decline just the same as all those teams mentioned above where plus a few more. Harte is one of the greatest managers of all time, the idea that we have another manager who'll be as successful as him waiting in the wings is laughable.

The glory years are gone lads and the list of replacements are so poor that IMO we stand as good a chance with Harte turning it around as anybody else. Would anyone really like to see Canavan get the gig after him holding Errigal back and seeing Fermanagh tanked playing shite ball? Cassidy is the pre-eminent club candidate and has already been found wanting at IC level.  Porter was a background man in the drunken heyday of Donegal GAA when we were wiping them off the park. Donnelly and Munroe couldn't make anything of U21 level and have achieved nothing since. Who else are you guys advocating.

Meath, Armagh, Down have all tried this and in the end it was change for the sake of change. I wouldn't see Harte out until he doesn't believe he can cut it anymore or we have a decent man lined up.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Man Marker

Kernan was with Armagh and had an unsuccessful stint before returning and being successful 6/7 years later. Fermanagh and Derry had/have nothing so I don't think its an accurate judgement. Harte inherited a supremely gifted group of footballers who had won everything at underage, hardly like for like when Canavan and Cassidy took on their county jobs. A decent bit of analysis wouldn't go a miss trileacman.

yellowcard

Quote from: trileacman on July 29, 2014, 01:36:15 PM
Meath, Galway, Armagh and Down are all still wandering the wilderness. This idea that we sack Harte and "rebuilding" commences is just bullshit, stagnation and decline are the more likely options here.

Rebuilding is just a bullshit word. Admit that we are in decline just the same as all those teams mentioned above where plus a few more. Harte is one of the greatest managers of all time, the idea that we have another manager who'll be as successful as him waiting in the wings is laughable.

The glory years are gone lads and the list of replacements are so poor that IMO we stand as good a chance with Harte turning it around as anybody else. Would anyone really like to see Canavan get the gig after him holding Errigal back and seeing Fermanagh tanked playing shite ball? Cassidy is the pre-eminent club candidate and has already been found wanting at IC level.  Porter was a background man in the drunken heyday of Donegal GAA when we were wiping them off the park. Donnelly and Munroe couldn't make anything of U21 level and have achieved nothing since. Who else are you guys advocating.

Meath, Armagh, Down have all tried this and in the end it was change for the sake of change. I wouldn't see Harte out until he doesn't believe he can cut it anymore or we have a decent man lined up.

An interesting take on Canavan's credentials from Tyrone supporters. I would have thought looking on from the outside that he would have been the obvious choice considering his status in the game and his experience in management. He done no worse or better with Fermanagh than anyone would have expected considering the resources at his disposal. I would have thought he was the stand out candidate.   

screenexile

Tyrone need to be breaking their hole's getting Malachy O'Rourke in...

Proven at Inter County level as someone who gets the best out of his team!

Man Marker

Why would O'Rouke currently leave Monaghan to go to Tyrone, backward step?

Man Marker

Quote from: yellowcard on July 29, 2014, 01:45:02 PM

An interesting take on Canavan's credentials from Tyrone supporters. I would have thought looking on from the outside that he would have been the obvious choice considering his status in the game and his experience in management. He done no worse or better with Fermanagh than anyone would have expected considering the resources at his disposal. I would have thought he was the stand out candidate.

Do you know Canavan has not a championship of any type on his CV

Pat The Root

We don't want anybody to be taking the pointy chin away from Clonoe. Don't think he would go anyway. He says himself that a tyrone championship is no good for us this year, it's ulster he's after.
The Derry people says that he was no good of a county manager , caused an awful lot of rows but we think he's good up here.

screenexile

Quote from: Man Marker on July 29, 2014, 01:54:44 PM

Monaghan are not going to be around for much longer with Finlay/Clerkin/Lennon/Gollogly/Mone/Corey all heading in the wrong direction in terms of age... also O'Rourke is a Tyrone man!

Syferus

To be fair they'll probably be better when Big Dick retires..

yellowcard

Quote from: screenexile on July 29, 2014, 02:05:20 PM

Monaghan are not going to be around for much longer with Finlay/Clerkin/Lennon/Gollogly/Mone/Corey all heading in the wrong direction in terms of age... also O'Rourke is a Tyrone man!

Is Malachy O'Rourke not a Fermanagh man?

yellowcard

Quote from: Man Marker on July 29, 2014, 01:55:54 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on July 29, 2014, 01:45:02 PM

Do you know Canavan has not a championship of any type on his CV

No I didn't, I don't know an awful lot about his managerial capabilities other than his stint with Fermanagh. I'm just curious that Tyrone supporters don't seem to rate him as a manager.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Man Marker on July 29, 2014, 01:44:27 PM
Kernan was with Armagh and had an unsuccessful stint before returning and being successful 6/7 years later. Fermanagh and Derry had/have nothing so I don't think its an accurate judgement. Harte inherited a supremely gifted group of footballers who had won everything at underage, hardly like for like when Canavan and Cassidy took on their county jobs. A decent bit of analysis wouldn't go a miss trileacman.

To be fair to Mickey, he was the man that bought those lads through from minor and U21 into senior. They just didn't arrive out of the blue and he certainly didn't inherit them, he was a major player in their development. Plenty of young players don't make it through from being good minors to outstanding seniors so Mickey must receive kudos for guiding so many of them through to the senior ranks so successfully.
That was never a square ball!!

Man Marker

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 29, 2014, 02:26:16 PM
Quote from: Man Marker on July 29, 2014, 01:44:27 PM

To be fair to Mickey, he was the man that bought those lads through from minor and U21 into senior. They just didn't arrive out of the blue and he certainly didn't inherit them, he was a major player in their development. Plenty of young players don't make it through from being good minors to outstanding seniors so Mickey must receive kudos for guiding so many of them through to the senior ranks so successfully.

Agree with that, but the point was he had supremely gifted players unlike the others mentioned.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: yellowcard on July 29, 2014, 02:10:05 PM

He is indeed, but he has lived in Ballygawley for years and played for Errigal, i think he would have an Ulster Club medal with Errigal, but i could be wrong.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

EC Unique

Quote from: yellowcard on July 29, 2014, 02:10:05 PM

Malachy is indeed a Fermanagh man but has lived in Ballygawley for the last 15-18 years. Played senior football here with us in Errigal. Was a fine player and an even better manager. I would love to see him taking the Tyrone job, and no it would not be a backward step.