Are Tyrone Finished

Started by anfheardubh, May 19, 2014, 06:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barelegs

It's a matter of what you're aspiring to.

If you're happy enough to win All Irelands every 30 or 40 years you might be happy enough getting beat in the Ulster quarter final and Second Qualifier round every other year.

I didn't say Tyrone were up with the Kerry's and Dublin's but they should certainly be aspiring to be. If you haven't got that ambition what's the point.

If having some ambition for Tyrone comes across as arrogant then so be it. Accepting you're a middle of the road (which Tyrone most certainly were this year) shouldn't be what a county the size of Tyrone aspire to

barelegs

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 22, 2014, 10:37:25 AM
Quote from: orangeman on July 22, 2014, 10:36:17 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 22, 2014, 10:29:38 AM
Wise up barelegs, comparing Tyrone to Kerry & Dublin!

The GAA wasnt invented in 2003!

This is a big part of the problem. The expectation level in Tyrone is huge. Yes, Tyrone had a deadly run in the noughties. But that special team is gone now and Tyrone are back to where they were - competing with the rest of the teams in Ulster and hoping to win an Ulster every now and again. Tyrone have no more right to be beating Armagh or Monaghan than anyone else. Tyrone need to take a step back. Tyrone apparently are in the process of embarking on a plan to see what is going wrong and why they are "underachieving" which to me, whilst they're entitled to do that, appears to me that they've lost track a little and almost feel that they're entitled to more than they're getting at the minute in terms of results.

Nail on the head as usual Orangeman!

I appreciate the raised expectations. I don't think we're in a position to win All Irelands at the minute. We should be competing in Ulster however. We should be in the running for the last 8 every year. This year at all levels came up a long way short of that

Walter Cronc

Quote from: barelegs on July 22, 2014, 10:41:00 AM

If you're happy enough to win All Irelands every 30 or 40 years you might be happy enough getting beat in the Ulster quarter final and Second Qualifier round every other year.

I didn't say Tyrone were up with the Kerry's and Dublin's but they should certainly be aspiring to be. If you haven't got that ambition what's the point.

If having some ambition for Tyrone comes across as arrogant then so be it. Accepting you're a middle of the road (which Tyrone most certainly were this year) shouldn't be what a county the size of Tyrone aspire to

Well if you had ambition and ruthlessness in your board then Harte would have been replaced 2-3 years ago!

NaomhBridAbú

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 22, 2014, 10:43:27 AM

Well if you had ambition and ruthlessness in your board then Harte would have been replaced 2-3 years ago!

Are you smoking crack?
Why would the Tyrone CB seek to replace a man who had guided a team in transition to an All Ireland Semi and who lost the national league final by a point to the eventual all-ireland champions?
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

tc_manchester

Quote from: NaomhBridAbú on July 23, 2014, 11:53:27 AM

Are you smoking crack?
Why would the Tyrone CB seek to replace a man who had guided a team in transition to an All Ireland Semi and who lost the national league final by a point to the eventual all-ireland champions?
How long does transition last for? We're now the 4th best team in our province and this years team selection was all over the shop. Mickey seemed to be second guessing himself all year but especially with his first selection for the Down game. I think he has 1 more year but if we have the same issues next year then it will be time for Mickey to give up the management of the county team. There is no reason why he can't take on another role within the county as a Director of Football.

WT4E

Quote from: tc_manchester on July 23, 2014, 03:38:26 PM

Are you smoking crack?
How long does transition last for? We're now the 4th best team in our province and this years team selection was all over the shop. Mickey seemed to be second guessing himself all year but especially with his first selection for the Down game. I think he has 1 more year but if we have the same issues next year then it will be time for Mickey to give up the management of the county team. There is no reason why he can't take on another role within the county as a Director of Football.

Maybe at Man Utd - I doubt there would be such a role in Tyrone GAA!

NaomhBridAbú

Quote from: tc_manchester on July 23, 2014, 03:38:26 PM

Are you smoking crack?

What i said was in response to the so called lack of ambitions from the TCB. They can be accused of many things but cant be accused of lacking ambition.

i'd be equally concerned about the unsettled team, Ronan O'Neill not playing, Stephen O'NEill starting and the complete lack of fire versus Armagh. But I think its not as bad a picture as the early exit would suggest.

I think that it SHOULD BE a county board decision regarding the managers position, and not the manager - regardless of who that person is.
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

skeog

is liam donnelly not the current director of football knows his football

Dire Ear

Simple answer to the question -        Yes ,  finished for at least 5-6 years from U-18's up.  No pride in getting or wearing a Tyrone jersey anymore I'm afraid  :'(

WT4E

Quote from: skeog on July 24, 2014, 09:25:55 PM
is liam donnelly not the current director of football knows his football

Is there really such a role? "Director of Football"  :-\

nrico2006

One thing that is very obvious is the lack of aggression and fight from the current Tyrone team.  All too nice.  A few players with a bit of badness in them is a must. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

NaomhBridAbú

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 25, 2014, 02:22:17 PM
One thing that is very obvious is the lack of aggression and fight from the current Tyrone team.  All too nice.  A few players with a bit of badness in them is a must.

Agree completely - in 03, 05, 08 the winning teams had a "take no shite" mentality...thats not evident throughout this team at all

Syferus

Quote from: NaomhBridAbú on July 28, 2014, 12:35:50 PM

Agree completely - in 03, 05, 08 the winning teams had a "take no shite" mentality...thats not evident throughout this team at all

That team had plenty of hard-men last season. The problem is same team ethic and skill (despite underage success, somehow) isn't there. A few chancers acting the bully won't fix that.

NaomhBridAbú

Quote from: Syferus on July 28, 2014, 01:15:39 PM
Quote from: NaomhBridAbú on July 28, 2014, 12:35:50 PM

That team had plenty of hard-men last season. The problem is same team ethic and skill (despite underage success, somehow) isn't there. A few chancers acting the bully won't fix that.

Plenty of hard men last year?
I wasn't suggesting that the 03,05,08 teams had "hard men" - there is a difference between the two...last year Tyrone punched above their weight...this year there are too many men interested in how they look in the tyrone shirt rather than how they perform in it

yellowcard

Misleading thread title this. It should read is Mickey Harte and that generation of Tyrone footballers finished?

I do believe that they are. Harte has stayed too long and players in Tyrone county set up have been listening to the same voice for over a decade now. Players like Sean Cavanagh and Conor Gormley have never had another inter county manager and that is not healthy especially considering the lack of success of the last few years. Harte appears to be a stubborn man though and I don't expect him to leave nor do I expect the Tyrone county board to get rid of him. The least he expects is to choose when to leave the post after the success he brought to the county.

Managers like Sean Boylan and Pete McGrath were also unsackable but stayed on too long hoping to rekindle one last tilt at glory. It rarely happens and Harte would leave the job now with his reputation intact if he stepped down now and allowed somebody else the chance to begin the rebuilding process.