Are Tyrone Finished

Started by anfheardubh, May 19, 2014, 06:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Whenever Throne do return they'll be able to go all the way on the first go, like Down . Unlike Cork or Laois or Schalke 04. The real deal, the greatest gift of Mickey Harte to the county.

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on July 15, 2014, 02:25:56 PM
Whenever Throne do return they'll be able to go all the way on the first go, like Down . Unlike Cork or Laois or Schalke 04. The real deal, the greatest gift of Mickey Harte to the county.

Cavan?
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on July 15, 2014, 05:36:39 PM

Cavan?
only if the economic conditions of the 40s return. Won't happen for a while. Mayo Ros and Cavan were all successful pre TP Whitaker.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: seafoid on July 15, 2014, 05:52:44 PM
Quote from: muppet on July 15, 2014, 05:36:39 PM

Cavan?
only if the economic conditions of the 40s return. Won't happen for a while. Mayo Ros and Cavan were all successful pre TP Whitaker.

Kildare football could really do with another Irish Civil War breaking out.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

dec

That great friend of Tyrone football, Pat Spillane has given his opinion.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2014/0715/630955-tyrone/

RTÉ football analyst Pat Spillane says it's time for Mickey Harte to step down as Tyrone boss.

The Red Hands exited the All-Ireland championship on Sunday following a three-point qualifier loss to Ulster rivals Armagh in Omagh. Harte, who has been in charge of the county's senior team since 2002, has won three All-Ireland titles with the last of those coming six years ago. And former Kerry footballer Spillane believes the time is right for the Errigal Ciarán clubman to step aside. He told RTÉ Sport: "I really do believe that it's time for a change, fresh face, fresh voice, new ideas and [to] rebuild. "There's no doubt about it, he's been an unbelievable manager, one of the top five, maybe the top three Gaelic football managers of all time. "[He's won] three All-Ireland titles, brought Tyrone from nowhere. He owes nothing to Tyrone, he's been absolutely brilliant.

"Since 2008 this is the sixth year [and] aside from the league performances, it's been fairly underwhelming. They've been poor in the Ulster Championship and they've suffered some fair hammerings from the likes of Dublin and Kerry. "Tyrone played Kerry in Killarney [in the Allianz League in March], they suffered the biggest drubbing I think they ever had under Mickey Harte and that team that played in the second half – they threw in the towel and I've never ever seen a Tyrone team to throw in the towel under Mickey Harte."

Spillane reckons that Harte, like former Kerry boss Mick O'Dwyer, has remained too loyal to the players that brought him success in the last decade. He added: "One of the problems with a successful manager, and it was a problem with Mick O'Dwyer in Kerry as well, is that you remain loyal to the guys who delivered All-Ireland titles. "And I remember with Mick O'Dywer, he remained loyal to all of us when we were past our sell-by date and the problem was that in '86, because he had remained loyal to so many of the old guys with lots of mileage, youngsters weren't being brought through.

"Mickey, for about three years, remained loyal to the guys that had brought All-Ireland titles to him. "The problem with that was a) they weren't succeeding and b) it meant that new talent wasn't being brought through to the senior ranks and what's happening now is that the rebuilding that should have started four years ago is going on now and they're in transition and they're struggling.

"What's that oft-repeated quotation - that the career of politicians and sports people always ends in failure - and that's certainly true."

rrhf

I hope mic key proves him wrong.

cadhlancian

Quote from: moysider on July 15, 2014, 01:48:22 AM
Tyrone had a Golden Age and probably maxed in that time, and that's a compliment. They won 3 AIs in a tough time. Kerry had arguably one of their best ever teams during 2 of those wins.

Harte is up there with Heffo, Micko and Boylan as a manager that caterpulted a team to another level.

There were savage players in Tyrone in 70s and 80s. McKenna, McGuigan, Donaghy, McCabe, O Hagan. Art McCrory did his bit and Tyrone were very unlucky/robbed in 95. I think Harte did a great job taking the 'luck' aspect out of things - which of course Micko and Heffo had done earlier by making sure they were better prepared than anybody else.

Like others that had success (including my neighbours Galway), Tyrone fans and the media as well will find it hard to let go. Every McCurry and Coney will be the new Canavan and O Neill but they won t be.

Tyrone also heve to look at their game. Underage and in schools Tyrone are probably at the cutting edge. But because of their senior seccess Tyrone college teams and underage teams all seem to play the Harte way and this may not be a good thing anymore. As well as that intensive underage training and coaching produces 'hot-house flowers' that peak at minor and that s it.

Harte has earned the right to choose when he wants to go himself. I can understand why he would want to stay on. But like all coaches the game changes around ye. The players do as well. Canavan and Cavanagh are once in a lifetime. Dooher, Jordan, McManamon , etc don t grow on trees either.
Harte has earned the right to choose when he wants to go himself.  That sentiment really is the problem in itself . He has been a great servant to tyrone football over the last 20 years, but he has been medicocre for the best part of 5 years now. He hasn't earned the right to do anything, thanks for the memories, but bye bye!

Armaghtothebone

Are Tyrone finished?

If wishing made it so

nrico2006

Quote from: cadhlancian on July 15, 2014, 11:04:18 PM
Tyrone had a Golden Age and probably maxed in that time, and that's a compliment. They won 3 AIs in a tough time. Kerry had arguably one of their best ever teams during 2 of those wins.

Harte is up there with Heffo, Micko and Boylan as a manager that caterpulted a team to another level.

There were savage players in Tyrone in 70s and 80s. McKenna, McGuigan, Donaghy, McCabe, O Hagan. Art McCrory did his bit and Tyrone were very unlucky/robbed in 95. I think Harte did a great job taking the 'luck' aspect out of things - which of course Micko and Heffo had done earlier by making sure they were better prepared than anybody else.

Like others that had success (including my neighbours Galway), Tyrone fans and the media as well will find it hard to let go. Every McCurry and Coney will be the new Canavan and O Neill but they won t be.

Tyrone also heve to look at their game. Underage and in schools Tyrone are probably at the cutting edge. But because of their senior seccess Tyrone college teams and underage teams all seem to play the Harte way and this may not be a good thing anymore. As well as that intensive underage training and coaching produces 'hot-house flowers' that peak at minor and that s it.

Harte has earned the right to choose when he wants to go himself. I can understand why he would want to stay on. But like all coaches the game changes around ye. The players do as well. Canavan and Cavanagh are once in a lifetime. Dooher, Jordan, McManamon , etc don t grow on trees either.
Harte has earned the right to choose when he wants to go himself.  That sentiment really is the problem in itself . He has been a great servant to tyrone football over the last 20 years, but he has been medicocre for the best part of 5 years now. He hasn't earned the right to do anything, thanks for the memories, but bye bye!

Harte was ruthless when it came to team/squad selection, now the CB have to be ruthless with him.  There is no room for sentiment.  His record prior to winning Ulsters and All Irelands should not come into the equation when judging the performances of the past 5 or 6 seasons. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

orangeman

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 21, 2014, 10:56:18 AM

Harte was ruthless when it came to team/squad selection, now the CB have to be ruthless with him.  There is no room for sentiment.  His record prior to winning Ulsters and All Irelands should not come into the equation when judging the performances of the past 5 or 6 seasons.

Tyrone ran Dublin to a point in last year's NFL final and were unlucky in last year's AI semi final.

Most counties would give anything to be up there in that company.

J OGorman

Quote from: orangeman on July 21, 2014, 11:12:39 AM

Tyrone ran Dublin to a point in last year's NFL final and were unlucky in last year's AI semi final.

correct. a good crew of top players come through at the same time, success like never before is brought to the county spearheaded by Harte. Alot of you Tryonies have completely lost the run of yourselves. Nrico, who is your alternative? Malachy O'Rourke? Was McIver like in his lack of tactics yesterday against Donegal. Canavan? Couldnt lace Harte's boots in the world of inter county management. Anyone else come to mind?

Christmas Lights

Quote from: dec on July 15, 2014, 09:00:05 PM
That great friend of Tyrone football, Pat Spillane has given his opinion.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2014/0715/630955-tyrone/

RTÉ football analyst Pat Spillane says it's time for Mickey Harte to step down as Tyrone boss.

The Red Hands exited the All-Ireland championship on Sunday following a three-point qualifier loss to Ulster rivals Armagh in Omagh. Harte, who has been in charge of the county's senior team since 2002, has won three All-Ireland titles with the last of those coming six years ago. And former Kerry footballer Spillane believes the time is right for the Errigal Ciarán clubman to step aside. He told RTÉ Sport: "I really do believe that it's time for a change, fresh face, fresh voice, new ideas and [to] rebuild. "There's no doubt about it, he's been an unbelievable manager, one of the top five, maybe the top three Gaelic football managers of all time. "[He's won] three All-Ireland titles, brought Tyrone from nowhere. He owes nothing to Tyrone, he's been absolutely brilliant.

"Since 2008 this is the sixth year [and] aside from the league performances, it's been fairly underwhelming. They've been poor in the Ulster Championship and they've suffered some fair hammerings from the likes of Dublin and Kerry. "Tyrone played Kerry in Killarney [in the Allianz League in March], they suffered the biggest drubbing I think they ever had under Mickey Harte and that team that played in the second half – they threw in the towel and I've never ever seen a Tyrone team to throw in the towel under Mickey Harte."

Spillane reckons that Harte, like former Kerry boss Mick O'Dwyer, has remained too loyal to the players that brought him success in the last decade. He added: "One of the problems with a successful manager, and it was a problem with Mick O'Dwyer in Kerry as well, is that you remain loyal to the guys who delivered All-Ireland titles. "And I remember with Mick O'Dywer, he remained loyal to all of us when we were past our sell-by date and the problem was that in '86, because he had remained loyal to so many of the old guys with lots of mileage, youngsters weren't being brought through.

"Mickey, for about three years, remained loyal to the guys that had brought All-Ireland titles to him. "The problem with that was a) they weren't succeeding and b) it meant that new talent wasn't being brought through to the senior ranks and what's happening now is that the rebuilding that should have started four years ago is going on now and they're in transition and they're struggling.

"What's that oft-repeated quotation - that the career of politicians and sports people always ends in failure - and that's certainly true."

A pretty good interview with Spillane for once.  I find it hard to argue with any of that.

God14

Quote from: J OGorman on July 21, 2014, 11:18:48 AM

correct. a good crew of top players come through at the same time, success like never before is brought to the county spearheaded by Harte. Alot of you Tryonies have completely lost the run of yourselves. Nrico, who is your alternative? Malachy O'Rourke? Was McIver like in his lack of tactics yesterday against Donegal. Canavan? Couldnt lace Harte's boots in the world of inter county management. Anyone else come to mind?

J O'Gorman - I agree with a lot of what you say. However its undeniable that Hartes management was an absolute farce this year. 33 different players used in a brief championship campaign, 26 of them starters. He's been in the job 12 years should he not have an idea on a settled team?

nrico2006

Its not up to me to pick a new manager, there are people with more expertise in that area.  There are good managers and potentially good ones out there, its not always just that obvious.  Jim McGuiness' brilliance wasn't obvious before he took the Donegal senior team, neither was Jim Gavins or even O'Rourke.  Monaghan might have been caught out tactically yesterday, but they look better conditioned and play with more intensity than this Tyrone team has for a long time.  Harte has a template he likes his teams to play to, and this hasn't changed much in years while football in general has.  Harte airs on the side of caution, how often do you see a Tyrone corner forward ever try and beat their men and make a run for goal?  They are restricted by Hartes tactic of gathering the ball and recycling it to the midfielders and wing forwards.  Anybody who says the talent is not in Tyrone is deluded.  Tyrone have a huge pool of players to pick from, and are consistently competing for titles at colleges and minor level.  Management is where the problem lies.  Harte has his favourites as was mentioned a few weeks back, some players get a few games without setting the world alight yet the potentially special players like Coney or O'Neill might get a half or fifty minutes if they are lucky.   
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

cadhlancian

the ultimate childish way to look at it!
"Who would do better"?? Are you serious? Maybe the person replacing him isn't as good. So what! His results of nearly a decade ago are nothing to do with the current teams performance. This is about football in general in Tyrone, it shouldn't be about Mickey Harte. He needs to go, and no, I don't know who could/ would replace him. That is irrelevant .