Roscommon vs. Mayo - Connacht SFC Semi-final (Dr. Hyde Park, June 8th 2014)

Started by Syferus, May 18, 2014, 05:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will Andy transfer to his home county after such an insult?

Yes
10 (83.3%)
Yep
4 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

moysider

Quote from: bucko on June 11, 2014, 10:57:05 AM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on June 11, 2014, 10:43:30 AM
Another article bang on the money

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/darragh-%C3%B3-s%C3%A9-mayo-need-to-put-this-tough-day-behind-them-1.1827441
Beat me to it, good piece.

Liked Liam McHale piece in the Western as well. Thought he nailed it but could have done without the full-court press bit. Unfortunately I don t think it can be read online.

Syferus

Quote from: Shrewdness on June 11, 2014, 10:14:02 PM
Have read on a few sources that the expected length of absence for Donie Shine is approx 6-8 weeks. Ros missed the experience and influence of Karol Mannion last Sunday. Even if he had only come on as a sub for the last 15-20 mins, he would have been a steadying influence to the young lads.

He's supposed to join the backroom team at some point this summer, if he hasn't already. It might be a good time for the panel to see a friendly face. No doubt he can still play at a high level but sure it's up to him, he owes no one anything.

Shrewdness

Collie Brolly

Lar Naparka

An  interesting article by Tomás O' Sé in today's Indo:

Tomás Ó Sé: Mayo have what it takes but they need to be more selfish
Small improvements more important than 'destiny' in desire to reach promised land

- See more at: http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/toms-s-mayo-have-what-it-takes-but-they-need-to-be-more-selfish-30351343.html#sthash.amgqUXDY.dpuf

It has been creeping up quietly on me since I retired, but I think I've developed a soft spot for Mayo. Not sure why. In my career, I never seemed to have an easy day against them and one of the most conflicted memories I have is of our victory over them in the '06 All-Ireland final.
Billy Joe Padden gave me a bit of a runaround that day and the tin hat was put on a lousy year for me, personally, when Jack O'Connor decided to give me the hook at half-time.

I was fairly sour about that afterwards. We were miles ahead in the game, but I think Jack was maybe feeling a bit of pressure that same day about Eoin Brosnan not starting.

Even now, I can't really figure out what was wrong with me that year. I won All Stars in '04 and '05 and then again in '07 and '08. But, in between, I had the proverbial season from hell.

The more frustrated I got, the harder I tried and, the harder I tried, the further backwards my game seemed to go. When it came to the final, I probably felt Jack could have given me more time. But it was as if he was sending me the message "You're just not right Tomás!"

And I wasn't.

All year, I'd been chasing my tail, and getting the runaround on the biggest day of the year really hurt me. I can honestly say I felt differently at the celebrations that night to any other time I won an All-Ireland. I always took poor performances personally and, for a long time after, the memory of '06 bugged me.

Maybe it also fed into this sense of edge I experienced when playing against Mayo. As a wing-back, I always felt they had forwards who could do damage. Maybe not embarrass you with an exhibition of point-scoring, but marking an intelligent fella like Alan Dillon was tricky.
Funny, when I think of Mayo players, the word that immediately comes to mind is confidence. Playing against them, you always had it in the back of your head that they had the potential to beat you well.

In Kerry, we liked to foster a belief that there were 31-and-a-half counties pulling against us.

We knew all about the fellas at home who would be down on us like a ton of bricks within seconds of a defeat. Of course, the same beauties would be giving you a clap on the back if you won.

So, I'm kind of curious about Mayo now and the strange business of having a grown-up relationship with supporters. I wonder if it's possible.

Here's the thing. Mayo are there or thereabouts every year and, for me, that's the sign of a really good team. I still think they'll win an All-Ireland and, in fact, I genuinely hope they do.

But a problem, I suspect, is something creeping into their sub-conscious all the time, telling them, 'Yeah this is our year!'

When we played them in the finals of '04 and '06 you could feel that vibe building and we just got the feeling that they were airing it a bit too publicly. It wasn't so much the players as the supporters, every year the Mayo drums beating louder. "This is our year ... "

I remember the team made a big thing one year of flying to Dublin, every last one of them pictured in their shorts at the airport. You'd see that and be thinking, 'Jesus Christ, just get in and get out, do your business quickly'.

It isn't about sending messages across to other people. It's about you, about the team.

I get the impression that James Horan is trying to get them into that mindset. I like Horan as a manager. I like his honesty and the fact that he's not afraid to try stuff.

They had two new fellas in the half-forward line against Roscommon last Sunday and, if they didn't have great days out, it will still stand to them.

He has brought Gavin Duffy into the panel and, while I don't expect him to see a great deal of game time, he might have an impact in other ways that people outside the group won't recognise.

I just get the feeling that Mayo's biggest problem is the pressure coming from their own people. It's become an 'All-Ireland or bust' every year, that gap to '51 always getting a mention. Because of this, they seem to get a harder press than the likes of Galway, who've achieved so little in the last decade.

Wouldn't it be a lot worse for Mayo if nothing was happening for them?

To me, Horan and the panel need to just think about themselves only. They need to be selfish. In Kerry, very often, we blocked out our own county. The idea was just get yourself in a zone, shut out everything else. That has to happen for Mayo now.

They're desperately close to closing the deal and, personally, I think they'll benefit far more from last Sunday's struggle against Roscommon than they possibly could have from any number of the hidings they've been dishing out in Connacht in recent times.

Look through the team and there's very few obvious weak links. I'd just have two qualms. They've a really attacking half-back line and, in Lee Keegan, the best half-back in the country. But sometimes they're inclined to over-commit, leaving themselves wide open behind. A trap I know too well.

I remember playing an All-Ireland semi-final once and spending the first half bombing forward. Going in at half-time, I was bouncing off the ground, delighted with myself. Well, by God, did Tom Sullivan and Marc (ó Sé) and Mike McCarthy eat me when I got inside.

The three of them were livid. "What in the name of God are you doing?" Only for the fact that these were three of the best man-markers I've ever seen play the game, there could have been so much damage done with the space I was leaving in behind.

BRILLIANT

I see a bit of that in Mayo now. The half-back line is a brilliant attacking spring-board, but you have to remember what's behind you and strike a balance.

My other qualm is at midfield. To me, Aidan O'Shea is a fine footballer who has the weapons to be great. But he's too sporadic. He needs to be bossing games day in, day out. When he's having a dip in a game, something has to go off in his head. "Hang on a second ... "

The point about Mayo, I feel, is that tiny improvements could get them over the line now. People talk about them needing a so-called 'marquee forward.' I disagree.

If they could get even a 2pc improvement from every player, that could be all they need.

What I'm trying to get across is that they have the raw material, but there just might be something in their heads.

Their forwards need to stop thinking they have to shoot the lights out and just play a little bit cuter. I think as a group, maybe they could be more comfortable with themselves. They need to realise that you don't have to play as if you're parked outside on a double yellow line. Remember, Alan Brogan was nearly a decade playing with Dublin before he got to win an All-Ireland. If it's meant to happen, it will.

The way I see it, Sunday's Hyde Park win is money in the bank for Mayo now. It'll stand to them. Years ago, we won a dog of a league game in filthy conditions above in Scotstown and Jack would often refer back to it after as a sign of our ability to dig really deep. That's what Mayo showed last Sunday.

They dug themselves out of a dark hole. It might be the best thing they've done in a long time.

Irish Independent
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Syferus

I don't buy into close matches having as much a benefit as some would say. The obvious - that it means a team is dis-improving - is more often true in my experience. I suppose O'Se is applying the panellist logic that as a player you'd have to adhere to, that there's some inherent value in being exposed and still winning but that's as much about lads reassuring themselves everything is in hand as it has to do with anything tangible or worthwhile.

The thing I see giving Mayo a chance is a home Connacht final and maybe a nice draw in the AIQFs. That takes them to them door of September again. Maybe things will be different then and Mayo will be much better but even then I doubt many Rhubarbs will be wistfully looking back at anything that happened in the Hyde in early June and thinking about how much it meant or has fed into their chances.

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on June 14, 2014, 12:18:29 AM
I don't buy into close matches having as much a benefit as some would say. The obvious - that it means a team is dis-improving - is more often true in my experience.

You've obviously fitted a lot of football watching/management or whatever into your 14 years  ;D ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

moysider

Quote from: Rossfan on June 14, 2014, 02:28:31 PM
I don't buy into close matches having as much a benefit as some would say. The obvious - that it means a team is dis-improving - is more often true in my experience.

You've obviously fitted a lot of football watching/management or whatever into your 14 years  ;D ;D

Miaow! Saucer of milk for Rossfan ;D

larryin89

Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

bucko

Quote from: larryin89 on June 14, 2014, 03:03:09 PM
Feeney gone, Moran injured? High stool rumours or truths?
Ballaghdereen playing Ballintubber in the league this evening, you'll know if the latter is true or not before the weekend is out.

Syferus

Quote from: larryin89 on June 14, 2014, 03:03:09 PM
Feeney gone, Moran injured? High stool rumours or truths?

Sure Andy is shot isn't he Larr? Wouldn't it help ye if the Ros man was injured?

Shrewdness

Welcome back Larry, we heard nothing from you all week!!..Syferus, 2 goals for Enda Smith last night.

Syferus

Quote from: Shrewdness on June 14, 2014, 08:12:11 PM
Welcome back Larry, we heard nothing from you all week!!..Syferus, 2 goals for Enda Smith last night.

Boyle made ribbons of Elphin in that game from what I heard.. two goals in the first half for the younger Smith too. With Donie injured it's hard to see how Evans could make a case for not starting Smith in the next game. Hopefully no major injuries in this weekend's games.

Rossfan

Late point gave Brigids a one point win over Pearses, Clan batin the lard out of Kilmore, Ros Gaels well ahead of Castlerea.
Already looks like Elphin, Kilmore and Castlerea for the Relegation play offs.
Conor Daly lined out for Pearses.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rossfan on June 14, 2014, 02:28:31 PM

I was thinking along the same lines until I noticed the time that epistle waas posted.
I'd say Syf was just in the door after a hard night in Durkin's!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi