Roscommon vs. Mayo - Connacht SFC Semi-final (Dr. Hyde Park, June 8th 2014)

Started by Syferus, May 18, 2014, 05:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will Andy transfer to his home county after such an insult?

Yes
10 (83.3%)
Yep
4 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

larryin89

I tell ye something syferus ,if there was ever a case for a closet Mayo supporter ,its you.

Would you not be better concerning yourself with the harsh reality that ye haven't beaten Mayo or galway in 13 friggin years.

ye are like man city fans up to 5 or so years ago,obsessed with uniteds results whilst being shite themselves.

gawd damn it ,i really hope we bate ye bad.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Syferus

Quote from: larryin89 on June 05, 2014, 11:45:06 PM
I tell ye something syferus ,if there was ever a case for a closet Mayo supporter ,its you.

Would you not be better concerning yourself with the harsh reality that ye haven't beaten Mayo or galway in 13 friggin years.

ye are like man city fans up to 5 or so years ago,obsessed with uniteds results whilst being shite themselves.

gawd damn it ,i really hope we bate ye bad.

What Roscommon man wouldn't love talking about Mayo's All-Ireland failures?

rodney trotter

Quote from: Syferus on June 05, 2014, 11:40:47 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on June 05, 2014, 11:32:26 PM
Hennelly made 3 great saves in the All Ireland final, to say Dublin were there for the taking is a stretch. Dublin were 4/5 pts the better team

And? If he makes the saves, he makes the saves. You don't get effort points last I checked. There was a single point separating the sides at the end.

Mayo also had a bad day, it was quite a drab AI final between two teams who had destroyed everyone in their path up to then.

Taking off your only FF after 20 minutes and later on subbing out your best midfielder when his brother was anonymous are hardly the actions of a manager who got it right. Horan is a quality manager but it amazes me how anyone can't see the simple truth of that match - decisions on the sideline cost Mayo their best chance at an AI since 1996.

Well Hennelly should have. Mayo faught back well, didn't look like winning the game.

macdanger2

It's unfair / incorrect to say horan cost us an all Ireland but it's true to say he contributed.

Edit: he also played a big part in getting us that far

maigheo

The problem I have with Curran or any body else claiming that Horan is tactically  inept is Mayo did not get to where they are today by magic.Curran says that Dublin were a 9 or 10 point better team than Mayo so how does that go with Horan costing us the all ireland.The simple fact is Dublin were the better team on the day .Freeman was taken off  as there was no movement in the ff line and the only ball he got was from a dropped ball from Brennan.Conroy had been playing great stuff in training and was very good when he come on in the semi so I am sure Horans thinking was why waitOf course Conroy not playing well made it a bad move.And going back to the 2012 final I for one always thought Caff would take McFadden as he was by far there best forward all year and Caff took a roasting from Murphy in the league game in Ballybofey.Murphys goal came from Cilliano Connor getting getting beaten for a ball and Lacy being allowed to kick a good ball into Murphy under no pressure and not even Mick Lyons would have stopped him.Horan has made mistakes but what manager hasn't and if Dublin had lost last years all ireland Gavin would have been under severe pressure but that is all forgotten when you have Sam in your hands.This is probably Horans last year and I am dreading who the county board will put in his place as only for a big uproar by supporters last time James Horan would be still managing Ballintubber and winning all irelands would not be up for discussion in Mayo

Captain Obvious

Quote from: rodney trotter on June 05, 2014, 11:32:26 PM
Hennelly made 3 great saves in the All Ireland final, to say Dublin were there for the taking is a stretch. Dublin were 4/5 pts the better team
1+ The moment Dublin drew level in the second half of the All Ireland final you knew Dublin wouldn't be beaten. In fairness only for James Horan Mayo wouldn't have reached the last two All Ireland finals once he steps aside a like for like replacement will have to be brought in.

Farrandeelin

Ah lads...please stop talking about last year's final... Part of me died that day :'(
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Zulu

Quote from: maigheo on June 06, 2014, 01:02:54 AM
The problem I have with Curran or any body else claiming that Horan is tactically  inept is Mayo did not get to where they are today by magic.Curran says that Dublin were a 9 or 10 point better team than Mayo so how does that go with Horan costing us the all ireland.The simple fact is Dublin were the better team on the day .Freeman was taken off  as there was no movement in the ff line and the only ball he got was from a dropped ball from Brennan.Conroy had been playing great stuff in training and was very good when he come on in the semi so I am sure Horans thinking was why waitOf course Conroy not playing well made it a bad move.And going back to the 2012 final I for one always thought Caff would take McFadden as he was by far there best forward all year and Caff took a roasting from Murphy in the league game in Ballybofey.Murphys goal came from Cilliano Connor getting getting beaten for a ball and Lacy being allowed to kick a good ball into Murphy under no pressure and not even Mick Lyons would have stopped him.Horan has made mistakes but what manager hasn't and if Dublin had lost last years all ireland Gavin would have been under severe pressure but that is all forgotten when you have Sam in your hands.This is probably Horans last year and I am dreading who the county board will put in his place as only for a big uproar by supporters last time James Horan would be still managing Ballintubber and winning all irelands would not be up for discussion in Mayo

I'd agree with that word for word. I'm bemused by people who claim Horan is tactically weak, I've seen no sign of it and besides, it's a back room team, not one man. O'Neill was there for the first All Ireland and was with Kerry for their epic (and tactically astute) semi final effort last year. Now Donie Buckley is there and he is very highly regarded as well. I think it is far too easy to look at decisions made after the game and say they were poor. A decision isn't poor because it doesn't work out, it's only poor if it never made any sense in the first place and bar taking off Freeman so early last year I wouldn't feel any of Mayo's decisions have lacked logic.

As maigheo pointed out, Jim Gavin can now walk on water but he has been a kick of a ball away from being in P45 territory. Horan, for my money has done a fantastic job and always sounds clued in, his problem is he lacks the forwards to deliver when the need is greatest.

Shrewdness

Anyone care to predict the scoreline. I hope ye'll be all on here after the game, telling me how wrong i was, but here's my prediction.....MAYO 2-14 . ROSCOMMON 0-11.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Shrewdness on June 06, 2014, 12:11:39 PM
Anyone care to predict the scoreline. I hope ye'll be all on here after the game, telling me how wrong i was, but here's my prediction.....MAYO 2-14 . ROSCOMMON 0-11.

Mayo 1-13 Roscommon 0-12 .

Syferus

In case anyone needs reminding why this tie matters more than most:

1991 Connacht Senior Final

Roscommon              0-14
Mayo                         0-14

by Seamus Duke

In 1991 Roscommon had established themselves as one of the top four or five teams in the country. They were the Connacht champions and were operating out of Division 1 of the National Football League. They made it to the semi-finals of the league and were joint favourites to win the Connacht SFC along with the John O'Mahoney-trained Mayo. The two teams got to the 1991 final and it took two games to separate the teams. The first game of the two was played at McHale Pak and while it will not be remembered for the fantastic football on display, it was a very tough, hard-hitting encounter which finished in the most dramatic of circumstances when a young man from Castlerea, 19-year-old Derek Duggan, kicked a monster 65-yard free into a fresh breeze to give Roscommon a sensational draw. Those of us who were there on the day will always remember that free and the manner in which Roscommon secured a deserved draw. Seamus Killoran was the Elphin man who formed a brilliant midfield partnership with John Newton on that team. Killoran often did not get the praise that he deserved as being one of the hardest-working and most effective midfielders in the country over the three or four year period of the Marty McDermott era. He recalls that teak-tough Connacht final at McHale Park.

Roscommon played Leitrim in the Connacht semi-final in 1991. They (Leitrim) were now a major force in Connacht football. However with Tony McManus in typically brilliant form, Roscommon prevailed in Carrick-on-Shannon by 0-12 to 0-8, with Tony scoring 0-5 from play. Mayo had qualified for the final on the other side of the draw and the match was played in the 14th July, 1991 on a dull but warm and breezy afternoon at McHale Park. A crowd of 26,000 people attended the game and they would see a fiercely-fought championship encounter that ended with incredible excitement.

Mayo played with the strong breeze at their backs in the first half. TJ Kilgallon and Colm McMenamon gave the home side an advantage at midfield early on but it was Roscommon who struck first with points from Tony Mac and Derek Duggan (free). Mayo freetaker Michael Fitzmaurice opened their account but another Tony Mac point left Roscommon 3-1 ahead before adopted Mayoman Thomas Tierney and Liam McHale levelled the scores between them after 17 minutes.

It was clear even at this stage that the crowd were in for a thrilling game when it was tit for tat, point for point, and as they say down this part of the country, it was 'no place for a gasan' as the tackles went in hard and fast on both sides.

Mayo improved steadily thoughout the half and points from Tony Morley, Liam McHale and Kevin McStay helped Mayo into a 0-7 to 0-5 half-time lead. However there were 35 minues to go and with the words of Marty McDermott and veteran forward Tony McManus ringing in their ears from the half-time talk in the dressing room, Roscommon took the field for the second half determined to retain the Nestor Cup.

It was Mayo who struck first and points from TJ Kilgallon and Michael Fitzmaurice left the green and red four points ahead at 9-5. Roscommon slowly got a grip at midfield and Seamus Killloran and John Newton assumed control. Killoran was turning in a brilliant display and Mattie Reilly raced forward for a great Roscommon point and two minutes later Paul Hickey narrowed the gap further and when Derek Duggan and Michael Donlon pointed it was 9 points apiece after 12 minutes of the second half.

As the intensity rose even further the tackles became tougher and harder. Colm McMenamon kicked a great Mayo point, but Paul Earley kicked just as good a point for Roscommon a minute later. On it went, Duggan and Ray Dempsey exchanged points (11 points each) and then it was Tony Morley and another free from Duggan (12 each).

There were 30 minutes gone with the sides locked together. John Newton kicked a long-range point to edge Roscommon ahead but Dempsey cancelled that out with a Mayo point in the 33rd minute. It was clear that the next point could win it. Every ball was contested as if it was a matter of life or death. Mayo were awared a '50 in the 36th minute. The ball fell short and came to Liam McHale who duly kicked what looked like the winning point from 25 metres. Surely that was it?

Roscommon had to get the ball upfield. Seamus Killoran was fouled in the middle of the field 80 yards out from the Mayo goal. Killoran and Mattie Reilly 'stole' a few yards each and suddenly it was a 65-yard free. There was a strong breeze blowing into the faces of the Roscommon players. Mattie Reilly took the ball and gestured to his clubmate Derek Duggan to come out to take the free. Team manager Marty McDermott gestured wildly on the sideline. Why was Mattie wasting time? There was no chance of young Duggan kicking the ball over the bar into the breeze from such a long distance out....

Duggan placed the ball and took a long run-up and you could almost hear the thud in Claremorris as boot met ball and the white leather soared over the Mayo crossbar for the equaliser. It was an astounding kick by any standards and an incredible finish to an incredible match. In fact the ball hit the protective netting (well behind the posts) at least 15 feet up, which suggested that the ball would have gone over the bar even if the kick was another 10 to 15 yards out.

Roscommon people are still talking about that free and in the years gone by since, the distance has increased to about 100 yards – with a hurricane blowing into Duggan's face too!! Either way it was one of the greatest frees from distance – and under pressure too – ever seen in in the All-Ireland Football Championship.

Seamus Killoran played at midfield that day in Castlebar and he recalls the intensity of that game. "It was a real tough Connacht final for sure. There wasn't a kick of a ball between us and Mayo in those years and that day was no different. It was point for point" he said.

"I remember that I was fouled for that final famous free from Derek Duggan. It was in then middle of the field but I stole a few yards and then Mattie (Reilly) stole a few more but it was still a mighty kick from Duggan. However it has grown in length over the years and is now probably about 105 yards out!!" he continued.

"That  was a great game and we had a really great team that time and we should have won more. The loss after extra-time in '89 (Connacht Final) was crucial, looking back now. If we had got to Croke Park that year it would have been a big learning experience for us. There were great, great footballers on that team and it was brilliant to be a part of it.

"There were leaders all over the field and we were confident that we were going to win every time we went out to play, regardless of the opposition. It was a great time for Roscommon football. It's a pity that Padraig McNeill was injured in 1991. It's absolutely no disrespect to anyone else who played on the team but he was just so strong at centre half-back at that stage. He was a big loss to us.

"But we all remember that great day and the famous free from Derek Duggan and I also remember afterwards hearing a certain local radio commentator who made a bit of a fool of himself on the day! They are all great memories" Seamus concluded.

Roscommon: Gay Sheeran; Des Newton, Pat Doorey, Enon Gavin; Joey Connaughton, Paul Hickey (0-1), Mattie Reilly (0-1); Seamus Killoran, John Newton (0-1); Andy Leyland, Tony McManus (0-2), Eamonn McManus Junior; Michael Donlon (0-1), Paul Earley (0-2), Derek Duggan (0-6). Subs: Tommy Grehan for Leyland, Vinny Glennon for Eamonn McManus.

Mayo: Eugene Lavin; Denis Kearney, Michael Collins, Dermot Flanagan; Peter Butler, Tomas Tierney (0-1), John Finn; TJ Kilgallon (0-1), Colm McManamon (0-1); Kevin McStay (0-2), Liam McHale (0-2), Noel Durkin; Michael Fitzmaurice (0-2), Tony Morley (0-2), Ray Dempsey (0-2). Subs: Frank Noone, Willie Joe Padden (0-1), Sean Maher. Referee: Pat Egan (Galway).

Note: That day in Castlebar I was doing the commentary for Shannonside and when I saw Derek Duggan lining up to take that free I said "He hasn't a hope in hell of putting this free over the bar" – and the rest as they say is history. I haven't been able to live that one down since!

ballinaman

Highlights of Mayo Galway 89 draw and replay and Roscommon Mayo Connacht final, draw and replay.

Some games by the looks of it, never seen this footage before. Jimmy Burkes goal...what a finish! ;D ;D ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKNVfcTNUmI

Blowitupref

Quote from: Crete Boom on June 06, 2014, 12:47:54 PM
Quote from: Shrewdness on June 06, 2014, 12:11:39 PM

Mayo 1-13 Roscommon 0-12 .
Mayo 1-19 Roscommon 2-11
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Shrewdness

Syferus, there were a lot of tough men on that Roscommon team. For some reason, we're not making them like that anymore.

Syferus

Quote from: Shrewdness on June 06, 2014, 01:50:56 PM
Syferus, there were a lot of tough men on that Roscommon team. For some reason, we're not making them like that anymore.

And yet the lads we're producing now would probably beat them in a skill competition. We've done an exceptional job teaching the art of the sport but at minor last year, even U21 this year, senior for years it's so obvious we've developed into a county that's just too damn fair and unwilling to be nasty.

We're trying to play the game like Dermot Earley while everyone else is playing it like Ricey McMenamin.

Neil Collins is about the only player we've produced in the 2005-present stretch of quality underage teams that could be labelled physical or tough and he's only growing as a player himself. I think the black card rules (when applied) help us more than just about any county in Ireland but we really could do with a Francie Grehan right about now.

Part of me was happy when I saw Seanie almost decapitating the Cavan attacker late on in the league final. We need more of that chippiness, just better controlled.