FA Cup Final Day

Started by T Fearon, May 17, 2014, 05:56:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

The first one I remember is the 1979 final. I remember Alan Sunderland with the big wooley head and the socks down around the ankles.

Canalman

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on May 19, 2014, 02:56:52 PM
1975 is my first real recollection of a cup final. West Ham. Alan Taylor was the hero in the final and the semi final before that.
I should remember the 1973 and 1974 ones but perhaps the Ban removal hadn't hit Longford at that stage.

Read somewhere that 1975 West Ham team was the last team of English players to win the FA Cup.

brokencrossbar1

83 Cup Final was the first 1 one remember watching but the first one I really remember was the 1985 one when Moran was sent off and Whiteside scored a glorious winner.  I wasn't really aware of the hatred for United at that stage between Liverpool and United fans,  mainly due to the fact that all my friends were either Liverpool or Spurs fans.   I was only 9 though and it is safe to say that the junior BCs have been indoctrinated with proper loathing of them from a very early age!!!!

JBM on the 21

Remember the 81 final very vividly - was the first one I watched in it's entirety (Actually not as midway through the second half
of the replay the old lad dragged me away to go hunting a bull that had broken into a neighbour's herd of cows and got back to see replay of Gareth Crooks equalizer). Saw Villa's winner in all its glory though.

ziggysego

Soccer has lost some of it's magic with the advent of money and Sky TV.

http://youtu.be/Nc2To-pKMSg
Testing Accessibility

T Fearon

1967 Cup Final, when a young 21 year old from Newry called Jennings was in goal for Spurs when they beat Chelsea2-1 in the first ever all London FA Cup Final, and became the second man from Chapel St in Newry to win an FA Cup medal and was responsible for a young Portadown laid's devotion to Spurs ever since!

THE MIGHTY QUINN

1970 final is the first one I remember Leeds and Chelsea

All of a Sludden

Quote from: Canalman on May 19, 2014, 03:11:22 PM
Read somewhere that 1975 West Ham team was the last team of English players to win the FA Cup.

There was only one non English player on the Fulham team, Irishman Jim Conway. It was also Bobby Moores last game at Wembley.

My first FA Cup final memory is the 79 final. Arsenal were 2-0 up on Man Utd and with the game almost over Gordon McQueen and Sammy McIlroy brought United back into it. Alan Sunderland had the final say.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

mad tan

Remember watching the build up from 11am. The first final I remember was 1964 West Ham v Preston. Alan Kelly was in goal for Preston. The Cup has lost a lot of it's charm maybe it's champions league. But it's a pity.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: T Fearon on May 19, 2014, 06:46:40 PM
1967 Cup Final, when a young 21 year old from Newry called Jennings was in goal for Spurs when they beat Chelsea2-1 in the first ever all London FA Cup Final, and became the second man from Chapel St in Newry to win an FA Cup medal and was responsible for a young Portadown laid's devotion to Spurs ever since!
First one I remember too. First match I remember is the 1966 world cup final.

muppet

Quote from: All of a Sludden on May 19, 2014, 08:07:18 PM
Quote from: Canalman on May 19, 2014, 03:11:22 PM

There was only one non English player on the Fulham team, Irishman Jim Conway. It was also Bobby Moores last game at Wembley.

My first FA Cup final memory is the 79 final. Arsenal were 2-0 up on Man Utd and with the game almost over Gordon McQueen and Sammy McIlroy brought United back into it. Alan Sunderland had the final say.

My first as well.

The amount of Irish players then at Arsenal was the reason I became an Arsenal supporter.

I am now French.
MWWSI 2017

ONeill

Mine was '84 - Everton 2 Watford 0. Sharp and Andy Gray.

It was then that I fell in love with Elton John.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

seafoid

Quote from: mad tan on May 19, 2014, 08:30:34 PM
Remember watching the build up from 11am. The first final I remember was 1964 West Ham v Preston. Alan Kelly was in goal for Preston. The Cup has lost a lot of it's charm maybe it's champions league. But it's a pity.
I think it was the fact that the top 4 clubs started winning it virtually every year. There was no romance to it any longer.

T Fearon

There was also the so called home internationals a week later, and some tasty England V Scotland clashes as well in those days!

michaelg

Quote from: T Fearon on May 19, 2014, 09:41:03 PM
There was also the so called home internationals a week later, and some tasty England V Scotland clashes as well in those days!
Ironic that you have used this turn of phrase when it's you who started the thread about football in another country.