Gavin Duffy Joins Mayo Panel

Started by Syferus, May 14, 2014, 11:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crete Boom

Quote from: Hardy on May 15, 2014, 11:06:16 AM
I'd say by looking at him he's inclined to take too many steps.

As long as he doesn't go diving over the line into the goals thinking he scored a try I think he'll be alright.

Syferus

Quote from: ballinaman on May 15, 2014, 08:55:36 AM
Quote from: heffo on May 15, 2014, 08:50:10 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 15, 2014, 01:07:52 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 14, 2014, 11:38:12 PM
ha you never lose it, i remember what this lad at minors, he be up to the fitness through the rugby, long time out though, mayo are overlaid with midfielders but it be interesting if he can be converted for cover at Fullback

He'll be big and strong.
He needs to be agile and quick though.

I remember Eric Miller lumbering around full forward (like the Mayo midfield last September) for a couple of games nearly ten years ago post-rugby
Miller was converting.
Duffy has always been regarded as being a better footballer than rugby player before turning professional.
6'1....15 stone on the Connacht website. Brilliant character to have around the team even if he doesn't kick a ball.

At least he's learning how to be a Mayo player anyways.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Rossfan on May 15, 2014, 11:19:48 AM
Obviously a sign of total desperation in Rhubarbland.
I believ an ex Soccer player by the name of Kilbane is also qualified to play for them.

Mickey Walsh would be better but he is a bit old now ; ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnKBwYHAbE4

Jinxy

Quote from: stephenite on May 15, 2014, 10:30:53 AM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on May 15, 2014, 10:26:45 AM
Now all we need is Pierce Hanley

That's about the size of it.

Duffy was a football talent over and above anything I'd seen. Rugby was always the priority though. No harm in having a look now, even at 32, but if a silver bullet exists for Mayo football, it's in Brisbane

Anything you'd seen where?!
Plenty of us saw him playing for the Mayo minors, James Gill was the better midfielder of the two.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Jinxy

Interesting factoid.
Mayo beat Cork in the '99 minor semi-final.
Gavin Duffy was midfield for Mayo and Damien Delaney was midfield for Cork.
Both went on to represent Ireland, one in rugby, the other in soccer (currently with Crystal Palace).

AZOffaly

Quote from: Jinxy on May 15, 2014, 11:49:34 AM
Interesting factoid.
Mayo beat Cork in the '99 minor semi-final.
Gavin Duffy was midfield for Mayo and Damien Delaney was midfield for Cork.
Both went on to represent Ireland, one in rugby, the other in soccer (currently with Crystal Palace).

You bastard jinxy!!!!!!

Jinxy

stephenite

Quote from: Jinxy on May 15, 2014, 11:41:30 AM

Duffy was a football talent over and above anything I'd seen. Rugby was always the priority though. No harm in having a look now, even at 32, but if a silver bullet exists for Mayo football, it's in Brisbane

Plenty of us saw him playing for the Mayo minors, James Gill was the better midfielder of the two.

Fair point.

Based mainly on watching at various underage grades, I'd say he was more naturally talented than anything our club has produced, with the exception maybe of McHale.

However he's out of the game a long time, and the game has changed.

Would your opinion be based on seeing one or two performances at minor All Ireland semi & final?

Syferus

Better than D. Brady? Heresy.

And stop pining for Roscommon lads to come and save the day, Stephenite.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Jinxy on May 15, 2014, 12:02:08 PM
What?!

Damien Deleany. The lad who scored the first goal for Palace in their comeback against Liverpool 2 weeks ago.

thejuice

Maybe he can teach Aidan O'Shea how to be manly when it comes to the physical stuff.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jinxy

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 15, 2014, 12:18:27 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 15, 2014, 12:02:08 PM
What?!

Damien Deleany. The lad who scored the first goal for Palace in their comeback against Liverpool 2 weeks ago.

Yeah, it's great to see him doing so well.  ;)

Jinxy

Quote from: stephenite on May 15, 2014, 12:08:35 PM

Fair point.

Based mainly on watching at various underage grades, I'd say he was more naturally talented than anything our club has produced, with the exception maybe of McHale.

Would your opinion be based on seeing one or two performances at minor All Ireland semi & final?

Well that's fair enough if you were specifically referring to your club.
As for the translation from underage to senior, there is a long list of outrageously talented minors who never made it as senior footballers.
We tend to assume sometimes that the guy that's lost to soccer, rugby, the AFL etc. would have become that great player badly needed at senior level.
Sometimes I think the less a fella plays, the better he is.

Tubberman

Quote from: Jinxy on May 15, 2014, 12:54:12 PM
Quote from: stephenite on May 15, 2014, 12:08:35 PM

Fair point.

Well that's fair enough if you were specifically referring to your club.
As for the translation from underage to senior, there is a long list of outrageously talented minors who never made it as senior footballers.
We tend to assume sometimes that the guy that's lost to soccer, rugby, the AFL etc. would have become that great player badly needed at senior level.
Sometimes I think the less a fella plays, the better he is.

True - happened with Austin O'Malley!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

weareros

Looks like a black card inspired move. Big 15 stone all muscle lad like that storming through, backs will have to be careful not to haul him down. You add the two O'Sheas ploughing through and that could be Mayo's tactic this year.