Gavin Duffy Joins Mayo Panel

Started by Syferus, May 14, 2014, 11:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Sounds like Mayo are desperate. When's the last time this fella played competitive football.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Syferus on May 15, 2014, 06:09:26 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 15, 2014, 06:02:59 PM
Who's this Evan Regan lad?
Never heard of him.

Another Roscommon-blooded forward. Soon they'll want Senan Kilbride because the dah was forced to play for Mayo at one horrible stage in his life.

He was born in America and grew up in Ballina I don't see why he want to play with Ross. Maybe Sligo since he lived down the Quay near the Castleconnor border ;).
As for Sean Kilbride it was amazing the way he only found his love for the Ross ( after a long stretch playing for his home county) when they became successful with a chance of silverware 8) , but yeah if Ross have a claim on Evan then why didn't we get Senan , Ian and Karol Mannion if it's the father's blood that counts ;D.

Syferus

Quote from: Crete Boom on May 15, 2014, 07:14:17 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 15, 2014, 06:09:26 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 15, 2014, 06:02:59 PM
Who's this Evan Regan lad?
Never heard of him.

Another Roscommon-blooded forward. Soon they'll want Senan Kilbride because the dah was forced to play for Mayo at one horrible stage in his life.

He was born in America and grew up in Ballina I don't see why he want to play with Ross. Maybe Sligo since he lived down the Quay near the Castleconnor border ;).
As for Sean Kilbride it was amazing the way he only found his love for the Ross ( after a long stretch playing for his home county) when they became successful with a chance of silverware 8) , but yeah if Ross have a claim on Evan then why didn't we get Senan , Ian and Karol Mannion if it's the father's blood that counts ;D.

He's the son of a proud former Roscommon Gaels player.

Sean could only play for Roscommon once he left Ballagh GAA (he was an army officer stationed in Longford iirc and moved to the real Ballintubber area to live) and joined up with St. Croan's. Ask the maneen himself where his heart lay, like all true Ballagh people he knew what county he was from.

Itchy

Jesus do you Ros boys ever stop talking dung about Roscommon. Lad from Connacht is training with Mayo and all I see here is Ross, Ross and more Ross.

thewobbler

Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 15, 2014, 06:58:32 PM
Former rugby player joins an inter county football panel, thats like something Fermanagh or Antrim would do to grab some championship attention not something you would expect from All Ireland contender like Mayo. The Mayo players training since December can't be too pleased if this chap rides into town to take their spot on the match day twenty six. Strange call from James Horan or maybe its a sign of a manager who is about to leave and this is his final roll of the dice.
I would differ on this one. Most of this Mayo team have knocked their bollocks in a part of the Horan project for 2.5 years now, and would surely welcome any advance that gives them an edge towards winning Sam. It remains to be seen if Duffy actually is an advance, but what harm can it do to trial a six foot tool athlete with international rugby pace, and good  hands? If he's not and advance he'll be found out in training long before a Championship match, and it;s just a case of as you were for the panel.

bucko

Had a think about this one from the point of view of his qualities as a rugby full back and what would transfer over. Reading the game, positional sense, quick covering, good hands/under high ball, physical strength, in my mind ideal qualities for a sweeper if Horan was to go down that route. Just a thought.

Jinxy

Quote from: thewobbler on May 15, 2014, 09:08:06 PM
Former rugby player joins an inter county football panel, thats like something Fermanagh or Antrim would do to grab some championship attention not something you would expect from All Ireland contender like Mayo. The Mayo players training since December can't be too pleased if this chap rides into town to take their spot on the match day twenty six. Strange call from James Horan or maybe its a sign of a manager who is about to leave and this is his final roll of the dice.
I would differ on this one. Most of this Mayo team have knocked their bollocks in a part of the Horan project for 2.5 years now, and would surely welcome any advance that gives them an edge towards winning Sam. It remains to be seen if Duffy actually is an advance, but what harm can it do to trial a six foot tool athlete with international rugby pace, and good  hands? If he's not and advance he'll be found out in training long before a Championship match, and it;s just a case of as you were for the panel.

He's not particularly fast and when was the last time you saw a rugby player catch a ball over his head?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

bucko

Quote from: Jinxy on May 15, 2014, 10:46:08 PM

He's not particularly fast and when was the last time you saw a rugby player catch a ball over his head?
How about this???
http://youtu.be/Hu_2NmTDH-E

Crete Boom

Quote from: Jinxy on May 15, 2014, 10:46:08 PM

You're joking right?

Jinxy

I meant from garryowens primarily.
They do it the odd time for a cross-kick, a la Shane Horgan.
An event so rare that his success was entirely attributed to his gaelic football background and the fact that he was from Meath, the home of the high-catch.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Jinxy on May 15, 2014, 11:20:28 PM
An event so rare that his success was entirely attributed to his gaelic football background and the fact that he was from Meath, the home of the high-catch.

Jeeze the jokes keep getting funnier.

moysider

I meant from garryowens primarily.They do it the odd time for a cross-kick, a la Shane Horgan.

You re a gas man altogether ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

If the poor fecker didn t get killed in the act he d never be picked again anyway ::) Christ.

Not even Mick Lyons would get away with that shit.

Jinxy

Quote from: Crete Boom on May 15, 2014, 11:23:16 PM

The high catch is just one of the manly arts.
We also invented doggedness.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Jinxy on May 15, 2014, 11:31:07 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on May 15, 2014, 11:23:16 PM

The high catch is just one of the manly arts.
We also invented doggedness.

So you are the manly men from manly Meath and are the dogged men from Manly Meath as well as being the manly men from dogged Meath?

Jinxy

All of those.
The big question here is, would Duffy make the Roscommon panel?