Derry v Donegal

Started by J70, May 12, 2014, 07:21:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Nobody plays as negative as Donegal.

Wildweasel74

I think what fuzzman means is that Donegal play it to the extreme, that could have been a classic game the day if both teams went flat out playing the type of football we seen in the league. Derry totalled reverted to a defensive system they havent used since 2010 but dont have the players to carry out this type of game.

J OGorman

Donegal indeed play it to the extreme and it works for them, but there wouldnt be a match worth watching if everyone was a it.

seafoid

Quote from: anfheardubh on May 25, 2014, 07:47:55 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on May 25, 2014, 07:27:31 PM
Very disappointed by Derry yet again.
After such a good display in the league they fail to deal with the Donegal system yet again. It required fast ball but they kept going lateral all day.
Donegal really kill any chance of open football you wanna  play with their wet blanket they throw over you. You have to play the same possession shite style as if you try to kick it long your forwards have one or maybe two lads in front of them to cut off the supply.
I'd nearly prefer to lose to Monaghan than lose an Ulster final playing that shite.  ;)
Sorry I meant to include you too Fermanagh.  ;D

The same blanket that Tyrone played for years you hypocrite, BITTER  eh
that system actually started in the Maze originally

anfheardubh

Donegal play on the same pitch, using the same rules and parameters set by the GAA,  people on here are trolls spouting the typical anti Donegal agenda

Dublin 4 media seem to love alienating our proud county  Donegal

People are upset that Donegal are to be taken seriously and not the classroom jokers

No RESPECT for Donegal >:( >:( >:( >:(
For many are called, but few are chosen.

Zulu

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 25, 2014, 07:51:18 PM
I think what fuzzman means is that Donegal play it to the extreme, that could have been a classic game the day if both teams went flat out playing the type of football we seen in the league. Derry totalled reverted to a defensive system they havent used since 2010 but dont have the players to carry out this type of game.

Derry didn't play a blanket defence, they respond to the way they knew Donegal would play. The sooner Donegal are knocked out the better for neutral viewers.

anfheardubh

Quote from: seafoid on May 25, 2014, 08:04:43 PM
Quote from: anfheardubh on May 25, 2014, 07:47:55 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on May 25, 2014, 07:27:31 PM
Very disappointed by Derry yet again.
After such a good display in the league they fail to deal with the Donegal system yet again. It required fast ball but they kept going lateral all day.
Donegal really kill any chance of open football you wanna  play with their wet blanket they throw over you. You have to play the same possession shite style as if you try to kick it long your forwards have one or maybe two lads in front of them to cut off the supply.
I'd nearly prefer to lose to Monaghan than lose an Ulster final playing that shite.  ;)
Sorry I meant to include you too Fermanagh.  ;D

The same blanket that Tyrone played for years you hypocrite, BITTER  eh
that system actually started in the Maze originally

God you have no respect for the dead,   disgraceful comment !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zulu

Quote from: anfheardubh on May 25, 2014, 08:06:51 PM
Donegal play on the same pitch, using the same rules and parameters set by the GAA,  people on here are trolls spouting the typical anti Donegal agenda

People are upset that Donegal are to be taken seriously and not the classroom jokers

Will you go away out of it. Donegal would be a second favourite for many people but under Jimmy you play a brand of football that only a mother could love.

lenny

Quote from: Zulu on May 25, 2014, 08:07:26 PM

Derry didn't play a blanket defence, they respond to the way they knew Donegal would play. The sooner Donegal are knocked out the better for neutral viewers.

Totally agree and it's not sour grapes. If everybody started playing like Donegal I, for one, would stop going to matches and I don't think I'd even bother watching on TV. Absolutely horrible to watch. Our league games were great to watch because all division 1 teams played attacking football.

larryin89

They won't be going to croker after august weekend again.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

anfheardubh

Quote from: lenny on May 25, 2014, 08:13:25 PM
Quote from: Zulu on May 25, 2014, 08:07:26 PM

Totally agree and it's not sour grapes. If everybody started playing like Donegal I, for one, would stop going to matches and I don't think I'd even bother watching on TV. Absolutely horrible to watch. Our league games were great to watch because all division 1 teams played attacking football.

Its all well and good playing attacking football and losing losing losing

Derry deserve to be winners,  Brian Mc Gilligan  wasnt a loser he was a class act never got the credit he deserved, he has an AI MEDAL in 1993  was he a league player ???,    no he was championship through and through and a winner!!!!!!!!!!

anfheardubh

Quote from: larryin89 on May 25, 2014, 08:14:43 PM

They won't be going to croker after august weekend again.

SO YOU HAVE A CRYSTAL BALL,   whats the lotto numbers for Wednesday night?????

Main Street

It was a hard watch game.
It was more a case of Derry with a weak subs bench being  sluggish and  one dimensional,  rather than Donegal doing anything noteworthy except for a couple of brilliant moves. The Ulster champions should come from the other side of the draw.
And I have to say, I am now joining the anti-Donegal chorus, it's criminal to have that available talent, play in that way.

SkillfulBill

Even if you dont like Donegal's style of play you really have to admire the way they can repeatedly win games with an almost identical pattern. Time and again they hang in for first half then do an Aussie style 3rd quarter hard press get their noses infront and then strangle the game out. It ain't pretty but its damned effective, its up to the opposition players and managers to find away through it. I think it is unfair to lambast Donegal for playing in a manner that works for them. For years I listened to all the bull about Tyrone and it never bothered me much when where winning AI's.

anfheardubh

Quote from: SkillfulBill on May 25, 2014, 08:30:12 PM
Even if you dont like Donegal's style of play you really have to admire the way they can repeatedly win games with an almost identical pattern. Time and again they hang in for first half then do an Aussie style 3rd quarter hard press get their noses infront and then strangle the game out. It ain't pretty but its damned effective, its up to the opposition players and managers to find away through it. I think it is unfair to lambast Donegal for playing in a manner that works for them. For years I listened to all the bull about Tyrone and it never bothered me much when where winning AI's.

Best analysis on here all day