The Roscommon Bus

Started by Shamrock Shore, May 08, 2014, 12:24:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

I'd have said Limerick is the mid-west. South = Cork, South West = Kerry, Mid West = Limerick/Clare West = Galway, North West = Mayo/Sligo/Donegal. That's the way I think of it anyway :) North Tipp is almost in the Midlands, but I suppose parts of North Tipp are in the Mid West if Limerick is the Mid West.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 19, 2015, 05:05:30 PM
I'd have said Limerick is the mid-west. South = Cork, South West = Kerry, Mid West = Limerick/Clare West = Galway, North West = Mayo/Sligo/Donegal. That's the way I think of it anyway :) North Tipp is almost in the Midlands, but I suppose parts of North Tipp are in the Mid West if Limerick is the Mid West.

I don't really think of Limerick and Tipp as being western counties though. They are definitely "of Munster" or the south-west. Clare is a bit different and of course it used to be part of Connacht at one time anyway and in a physical sense is more a part of Connacht than it is Munster as it is west of the Shannon.

Then again I would think of Roscommon as being more a part of the midlands (along with Longford, Westmeath, Offaly, etc) than the west despite it also being west of the Shannon.

AZOffaly

I would consider Roscommon part of the midlands, especially south Roscommon.

I think of it as compass points. Mid West for me is WSW on a compass. So Kerry would be pure SW on a compass, Cork pure S, Waterford and Wexford South East, Dublin East, Antrim North East, Donegal, Sligo North west, Galway West. Mayo probably North West, although on a Compass more like WNW.

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 19, 2015, 05:29:05 PM

I think of it as compass points. Mid West for me is WSW on a compass. So Kerry would be pure SW on a compass, Cork pure S, Waterford and Wexford South East, Dublin East, Antrim North East, Donegal, Sligo North west, Galway West. Mayo probably North West, although on a Compass more like WNW.
I would say mayo is Wesht along with Galway.
I saw a sign in Belfast for "the west" that meant Fermanagh.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 19, 2015, 05:29:05 PM

Why?

Should the middle of something favour a southern inclination over a northern one? That is quite a partitionist view!  :D
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Sure Bally where MWR is based is right on the Ros border. It's fully Mayo in all matters GAA but it covers local news in Mayo, West Roscommon and South Sligo. It's Ireland's most popular local radio station, no wonder with its ownership.

Also don't tell any West or North Roscommon man he's from the Midlands AZ, he'll deck you and lay you as flooring. Roscommon, Galway and Mayo would make up the traditional 'West' region, in descending order of importance. Leitrim and Sligo would be sectioned off into the North-West.

MWR would also be shorthand for Mayo-West Roscommon, which is a more correct telling of the geographical pick of the gaelic football team that plays in the Mayo colours.

muppet

Quote from: Syferus on February 19, 2015, 06:23:04 PM
Sure Bally where MWR is based is right on the Ros border. It's fully Mayo in all matters GAA but it covers local news in Mayo, West Roscommon and South Sligo. It's Ireland's most popular local radio station, no wonder with its' ownership.

Also don't tell any West or North Roscommon man he's from the Midlands AZ, he'll deck you and lay you as flooring.

MWR would also be shorthand for Mayo-West Roscommon, which is a more correct telling of the geographical pick of the garlic football team that plays in the Mayo colours.

How many 'its' are involved?
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Sure Bally where MWR is based is right on the Ros border. It's fully Mayo in all matters GAA but it covers local news in Mayo, West Roscommon and South Sligo. It's Ireland's most popular local radio station, no wonder with its ownership.

Also don't tell any West or North Roscommon man he's from the Midlands AZ, he'll deck you and lay you as flooring. Roscommon, Galway and Mayo would make up the traditional 'West' region, in descending order of importance. Leitrim and Sligo would be sectioned off into the North-West.

MWR would also be shorthand for Mayo-West Roscommon, which is a more correct telling of the geographical pick of the gaelic football team that plays in the Mayo colours.

That's what I always assumed MWR stood for.

seafoid

BMW is border midland west and it covers connacht and the 3 ulster counties in the free state and has more
institutional credibility than mwr or whoever claims Ballagh.
Also,  ros is more interesting than the midlands . It was great that Moate was bypassed.

Rossfan

I've been calling it that for years a Shyfín ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

rosnarun

seems no that BMW Region is the The Northern and Western Region with Mayo Galway and Roscommon the western part and the Assembly meets in the Disputed Territory Of ballaghadreen
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Syferus

Quote from: rosnarun on February 20, 2015, 10:16:21 AM
seems no that BMW Region is the The Northern and Western Region with Mayo Galway and Roscommon the western part and the Assembly meets in the Disputed Territory Of ballaghadreen

Right there beside Dillion House no less. The bestest family in West Roscommon after the Earleys.

muppet

Quote from: Syferus on February 20, 2015, 10:42:20 AM
Quote from: rosnarun on February 20, 2015, 10:16:21 AM

Right there beside Dillion House no less. The bestest family in West Roscommon after the Earleys.

And both families are from Mayo.  :D
MWWSI 2017

Shrewdness

Been reading a few figures about the bus..In the 9 months since it was launched, it has been used 85 times, by teams from all codes, and has been all over the county and beyond.. It is also being used to bring our Senior and U-21 teams to training. ...After having approx two thousand Club Rossie members in 2014, the target is to increase that to three thousand members for this year. Businesses inside and outside the county are also being approached.

AZOffaly

How does it bring your Senior and U21 teams to training? Do they drive to some pickup point and it goes from there, or does it drive round the county like a school bus on steroids?